Need help, learning to hotkey

hey guys,

Basicly I've been a clicker this whole time on WOW till recently i was downloading a lot of video's n found that most players have everything keybind. I'm not to sure if I'm Doing it wrong.. or if perhaps there's away of doing it better. My first steps where...

Left/Right turn where Unbinded = Left/Right Strafe took the A/D place.. Freeing Q/E (i didn't rebind the left/right turning)

Rebinded = Q/E/R/F/V/C/Z/T/G/B

I have mouse button as well which i've used for Grenades adamantite n (shift) frost grenade

using the.. 1-5 button's as well as shift+1-5

I'm not to sure why but i'm really struggling i seem to my self alot slower then what i was as a clicker.. if it helps i'm a paladin tryin to shuffle blessing/seals/judgements at the same time. Any tips at all are really appreciated.

Thx in advance

Re: Need help, learning to hotkey

get used to it!

15+ Year Old Account

i tried the same thing to keybind and change the way i played back when i had to do the hunter epic bow quest. i did the quest figured it out but in the end went back to clicking. not sure why but just felt more comfortable to my play style. in raids i guess as a hunter missing a second is not as bad as a healer missing a second. i say to eash their own and if you enjoy playing a certain way play that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dv1
    hey guys,

Basicly I've been a clicker this whole time on WOW till recently i was downloading a lot of video's n found that most players have everything keybind. I'm not to sure if I'm Doing it wrong.. or if perhaps there's away of doing it better. My first steps where...

Left/Right turn where Unbinded = Left/Right Strafe took the A/D place.. Freeing Q/E (i didn't rebind the left/right turning)

Rebinded = Q/E/R/F/V/C/Z/T/G/B

I have mouse button as well which i've used for Grenades adamantite n (shift) frost grenade

using the.. 1-5 button's as well as shift+1-5

I'm not to sure why but i'm really struggling i seem to my self alot slower then what i was as a clicker.. if it helps i'm a paladin tryin to shuffle blessing/seals/judgements at the same time. Any tips at all are really appreciated.

Thx in advance
    I'll help you by starting with how I play.
    My bindings, from left to right are ` 1 2 3 4 q e r z x c 5
    I have a control and a shift variation for all of these, and if required, I can create an alt one as well.

Firstly, you must learn how to move. Rebind left and right to their default, a and d (you don't need strafe bound -> explained later). From now on, while playing, you should be holding down your right mouse button whenever you want to move, whether it be forward/back/left/right or strafing. ALWAYS hold your right mouse button down, unless of course something on your UI needs to be clicked. To move forward, you simply hold down you left mouse button with your right. To strafe, you will notice that while you have your right mouse button held, a and d now strafe instead of turn.

With the bindings that I have above, I can easily get to 48 keys. I find it helpful to put my most used, and time sensitive spells in the 1 2 3 q e r. For example, I have deathcoil bound to 1 (because I need to be able to hit it quickely and easily) and shadow bolt bound to 2 (because I use it a lot).

Learning to hit your keys can take quite a bit of time. I highly recommend that you DON'T attempt this during pvp. Try farming first, then a bit of five mans/raiding, anything that gets you using your generic spells in regular intervals. Once you've got the knack for this, try some pvp, it will be frustrating, but you just have to stick with it.

Important things to remember
    - Hold down your right mouse button constantly, it greatly improves mobility
    - Bind your keys in useful positions now, before you get used to crappy ones
    - Don't pvp until you can hit most of them without thinking
    - Keep at it ;-)

Takes time to get used to your new keys, I have been remapping 3-4 time, I have had UI changed as well it always feels awful the 1st 2-3 days. Get in arena skirmishes or random bgs and just play, you will get used to the keys very fast. At one point you wouldn't even think about it

Use buttons like Ctrl/Shift + q/e/r/t/f/g/b for spells you dont use so often.

Bind all buttons you can reach with your fingers while having atleast one finger left on your movement buttons.
    Gimper 70 Warlock Stormscale-EU 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
    Terina 70 Druid Stormscale-EU Watch out Cyclone

i was a clicker on my pvp frost mage for a while, then i changed to key bindings, found it really hard at first, but i am much better now with all the hotkeys, and being able to turn alot faster with mouse than arrows keys... aaah i dont know how i used to play with arrow keys!!! :O

Ah, thx for the advice guys... 1 of my biggest problems that i also find is.. i'm a ret pally and i have to chase after the opponent n press these keys at the same time.. so i'm constantly holding down the.. W key to move forward which i think limit's my movement however i'm going to try some of these things out.. someone told me to try ESDF instead of WASD for moving..

thx TER, for the advice i'll be trying it out today. Gimper the problem with that is.. i have to rebuff my self in middle of fights constantly..perhaps i just need to keep remapping untill i find the sweet spot

i'm a ret pally and i have to chase after the opponent n press these keys at the same time.. so i'm constantly holding down the.. W key to move forward which i think limit's my movement however i'm going to try some of these things out
    press down mouse 1 and mouse 2 at the same time to run forward. waaaaay better
    Gimper 70 Warlock Stormscale-EU 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
    Terina 70 Druid Stormscale-EU Watch out Cyclone

It's all about experience and comfortability. I've rebound my rogues keys and my priest keys so many times. It usually takes about a week for me to get used to it, but once you do you will feel a lot better. Instinctively knowing where the button is that you want and pressing it while still looking at your screen is a huge plus in pvp and pve. It takes some time, get used to new things and it'll all come into place. Don't get discouraged, everyone takes time getting used to new things.

PS.
    What I do is put buttons that I need to react fast and press, closer to where my hands are. IE. Kick on my rogue is number 2 or silence for my priest is F1. Since I lay my hand on the W A S D keys for strafing and running and whatnot.

Third mouse button by default is auto-run.

My third mouse botton was autowalk for quite some time, until I bagan raiding and started using it for vent-speak. These days I use '\' for autowalk. 'WASD' are movement, but of course I use the mouse to turn. QE are strafe. Other than that, keys 1 to = are various spells (my main is a mage). I click buffs, potions, mana jems ect. I do plan to bind lesser remove curse.. lowsy warlocks.

15+ Year Old Account

hey guys,

I used to be a clicker and keyturner up until about 2 months ago.

I tried using keybindings on my keyboard, but found it rather impractical and uncomfortable for me. So, I went and got a Nostromo n52 gamepad. I bound the direction keys on my mouse to the D-Pad at the thumb of the controller and bound the rest of my keybindings accordingly to the rest of the buttons on the keypad. It took me about 3-4 days to get comfortable with it, but the difference has been amazing.

And yes, I'm a rogue, so I deserve to be flogged for not making the jump sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Duskster
    hey guys,

I used to be a clicker and keyturner up until about 2 months ago.

I tried using keybindings on my keyboard, but found it rather impractical and uncomfortable for me. So, I went and got a Nostromo n52 gamepad. I bound the direction keys on my mouse to the D-Pad at the thumb of the controller and bound the rest of my keybindings accordingly to the rest of the buttons on the keypad. It took me about 3-4 days to get comfortable with it, but the difference has been amazing.

And yes, I'm a rogue, so I deserve to be flogged for not making the jump sooner.
    you know what i have a NOSTROMO n52, however i really couldn't get to comfortable with it.. and i couldn't configure the space button to open new bars.. how exactly did u manage to make it work with wow? n to be honest the ORANGE button didnt work either

i'd like to thank those that given me advice so far.. holding down the mouse buttons for AUTO RUN really has given me alot of mobility now.. i think what left is to get used to it

Duskster if u'd give me some tips on how to configure the N52 i'd appreciate it

15+ Year Old Account

Duskster if u'd give me some tips on how to configure the N52 i'd appreciate it

I just followed the instructions, used the Profile Editor to set the keys on the pad to the respective Keys on the keyboard, saved the profile, associated it to WoW, and load it every time I launch WoW. From there, you just keybind your movements, attacks, and other activities to the keyboard keys, while paying mind which key on your pad will correspond to that key.

I bound my keyboard keys to my keypad in the following order:

Row 1: Esc, Q, W E, 5
    Row 2: LCtrl, A, S, D, 4
    Row 3: LShift, 1, 2, 3

Orange button: Alt
    Thumb D-Pad: Up, Down, Left, and Right arrows respectively.

I use the D-Pad at my thumb for movement, I've kept A and D bound to strafe out of old habit, but for the most part I strafe now with a combination of the D-Pad and holding my right mouse button as I can swing the camera as well so I always have my target in sight.

A small sample of my bindings, I have my attacks bound accordingly:

Backstab/Mutilate: W
    Kidney Shot: Shift+W
    Shiv: A
    Envenom: Shift+A
    Sinister Strike: 2
    Eviscerate: Shift+2
    Gouge: 1
    Rupture: Shift+1
    Kick: 3
    Throw: 4
    Deadly Throw: Shift+4
    SnD: 5
    BF: Shift+5

I was an FPS geek back during the old-school days of Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, and, my personal favorite, Shadow Warrior. As FPS games got more complex, realistic, and dynamic, controls got a little increasingly perplexing for me to where I eventually found a keyboard and mouse too damn impractical and uncomfortable.

I got sucked back into gaming by WoW, was fine as a clicker/keyturner for most of my PvE life, but when PvE got boring and I started to PvP for thrills and bragging rights, I found myself feeling like a noob in a sea full of sharks as it became evident I was plagued with the same control impracticalities and discomforts I found from new age FPS games. That's why I invested in pad designed mainly for FPS nerds :P

It's a nice piece of hardware once you figure it out and get used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile