Thread: Re-rolling

Re-rolling

I currently have 2 level 70s a pala and a warlock but have decided to re-roll horde and have started a troll hunter.

I thought this would be a good choice since they are good for soloing and i have always thought of them as a really good dps class which is what i was looking for. After listening to people on this forum and others though i have noticed that people have very little good to say about them -

Out dps by other classes who are not a pure dps class and have no raid utility which makes them an uneeded addition to any raid group since another class could take their place and be more useful.

Massive mana issues - expensive to raid due to the amount of pots needed to do high damage.

Raid friendly specs reduce damage making the first issue even worse!

What are all your impressions of hunters and have i made a mistake rolling one? I'm not expecting them to do able to do everything better than other classes and i know it depends to a massive degree how you play but i would like to raid when i hit 70.

Nakanishi

Re: Re-rolling

tbh hunters have a hard time geting into end gaming... since basicly there is only one spot for them in most raid groups... and yes hunters are geting outdmg'd by none pure dps classes... i would recommand a shaman, druid, lock, warrior or priest tbh... since your tired of your paladin... those are the ones i've found easy to get into a good guild with.. but also depends on the server though...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakanishi
    tbh hunters have a hard time geting into end gaming... since basicly there is only one spot for them in most raid groups... and yes hunters are geting outdmg'd by none pure dps classes... i would recommand a shaman, druid, lock, warrior or priest tbh... since your tired of your paladin... those are the ones i've found easy to get into a good guild with.. but also depends on the server though...
    Thats totally untrue, unless you're at Kara/Gruul level.

I'm in a guild that's downed Illidan, and we had 3 hunters on our kill. They top the damage meters on most fights, and no, not because our other dps suck. Its because a good BM hunter does ridiculous dps.

Nakanishi

sorry you fail.. my guild is currently working on P4 KT.. in TK... Vashj is dead first day of the week... and we only use 1 hunter... but well until BT/Hyjal hunters got a gear problem... and yes good BM hunters do nice dmg.. i don't know how hunters do above TK and SSC... but at my current progress lvl their dmg ain't that great.. our top dmg is locks... my group is normally of me, 3 mages and a Spriest... then we have our resto shaman in group with 3 locks and a Spriest.. last lock in tank group.

and my sig is of my character so if you acctually checked that you would see i wasn't on kara/gruul... hunters are also very gear depending.(from my experiance)

Quote Originally Posted by Marowit
    I currently have 2 level 70s a pala and a warlock but have decided to re-roll horde and have started a troll hunter.

I thought this would be a good choice since they are good for soloing and i have always thought of them as a really good dps class which is what i was looking for. After listening to people on this forum and others though i have noticed that people have very little good to say about them -

Out dps by other classes who are not a pure dps class and have no raid utility which makes them an uneeded addition to any raid group since another class could take their place and be more useful.

Massive mana issues - expensive to raid due to the amount of pots needed to do high damage.

Raid friendly specs reduce damage making the first issue even worse!

What are all your impressions of hunters and have i made a mistake rolling one? I'm not expecting them to do able to do everything better than other classes and i know it depends to a massive degree how you play but i would like to raid when i hit 70.
    Its funny you post this, because 2 days ago I did the exact same thing. I left behind my Alliance 70 priest, 70 Hunter and 60 Rogue to reroll on a RPing server Horde side. I am also rolling another Hunter.

I dont think you picked the wrong class to reroll as. Yes there is a huge population of bad Hunters, but once you show that you're a good player then you'll be fine. PLay what is fun for you to play, picking a class just to see end game raids is just gonna make you regret it later. Ive always found that good players will find a spot regardless of class and spec.

I totally agree with Kenzi. We had 4 hunters at our first Vashj kill, and after one turned a bit more inactive, we´ve ran with 2 or more usually with 3 hunters, all except me (surv spec *cough*) doing great dps (spot 1-3 in the meters that determine skillz), and me being somewhere between 5-8, usually. And someone will naturally say our warlocks suck blaa blaa, but we are our server´s best guild, though still haven't killed 3 last bosses from BT.

What comes to class in leveling, I think hunter is one of the best ones. And with that I don't mean the speed but the fun (or the least painful one to level). I´ve tried all classes except shaman so far, and can't say I´d like them as much as I do my hunter. And simply if you don´t like a hunter, roll another one.

But a question to you: are you sure about the troll? Really sure? Because they are ugly, almost as ugly as night elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbon
    I totally agree with Kenzi. We had 4 hunters at our first Vashj kill, and after one turned a bit more inactive, we´ve ran with 2 or more usually with 3 hunters, all except me (surv spec *cough*) doing great dps (spot 1-3 in the meters that determine skillz), and me being somewhere between 5-8, usually. And someone will naturally say our warlocks suck blaa blaa, but we are our server´s best guild, though still haven't killed 3 last bosses from BT.

What comes to class in leveling, I think hunter is one of the best ones. And with that I don't mean the speed but the fun (or the least painful one to level). I´ve tried all classes except shaman so far, and can't say I´d like them as much as I do my hunter. And simply if you don´t like a hunter, roll another one.

But a question to you: are you sure about the troll? Really sure? Because they are ugly, almost as ugly as night elves.
    Haha funny you say that, i have chosen a troll hunter because back pre BC is was grinding exalted on my lock for AV and i always used to see the same troll hunter who unlike most other hunters would hand my ass to me on a regular basis! Had a lot of fun fighting him in pvp so i decided when i re-rolled to do the same thing. Beserker is also really nice!

I am enjoying the hunter so far so i will stick with him and as many of you have said as long as i make sure that i learn to play the hunter and not join the general majority of hunters who can't i should be ok.

As often with classes in the past who have had issues with raid utility it is eventually address by bliz to at least some degree (i said eventually!!) so i may get lucky when leveling and them do some work on them.

Looking at other issues how are hunters in pvp and solo pve generally? My lock was great to solo with, though the void was rubbish at keeping aggro, but my pala was extremely slow so i think i have experienced both extremes so would like to know how they fare later on in the game.

Well my perspective on solo PvE and PvP.....solo PvE really easy and fun if you keep an up to date pet with abilities and as you have mentioned easy to do....but maybe not so easy to become a really good hunter.

In PvP...well I can tell you this will be my 3rd toon to 70. I have a pally and a mage. I rolled a Draenai hunter to have my solo PvP fun with. In my battle group if alliance rolls into AB or WSG in a pug we generally lose....now the hunter being my "down time" toon...I can go in there and easily rack up the HK's and defend nodes or run flags....we may not get the win in the end, but the ability to top the HK's and not be a complete HK farming noob is what makes the hunter fun for me.....

With the new information that has been discovered recently about weapon skill, troll is looking like the best horde race for a hunter right now due to the +5 to bows skill. That comes out equal to 3% hit, which makes it one of the best racials in the game for endgame. That means troll hunters with bows (and dwarfs with guns) only need 94.6 hit rating to never miss.

Hunter is a good DPS class if the person who is behind the hunter knows how to play a friend of mine does amazing DPS Iam busting my arsh off to bit him

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Its irrelevant that Hunters do very good dps, the relevant issue is that so many players (Inc. Guild Masters) "think they stink".

Its this fact that makes it really really hard to get in to an endgame guild for many Hunters, not their actual dps.

Also, everyone seems to have an Hunter alt (most suck ofc), which doesn't make it any easier :/

But I agree, pick the class you want to play, just don't expect it to be easy...
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better