Thread: Spell Haste

Spell Haste

Hello.

As we know spell haste shall now reduce the global cooldown to a max of 1 sec.
    I have currently got the vindicator neck and rings etc and now in the next patch blizzard introduce new spellhaste nec/ring and a cloak from badges that have pvp stats on it.

And i was wondering if somone could give me some info about spellhaste if it's rly worth changing my current nec etc, and how much spell haste you need to reduce the global cd to 1 sec. And if it's rly worth getting as a Resto Druid.

//Windis

Re: Spell Haste

How many spells do you cast that take more than 1 second?

Weigh those spells and how often you use them into your considerations

Good luck

It would definitly help but does anyone know how much +spell haste it would take?

(i hear it is A LOT)

Haste is very important, as a mage I try to cast my frostbolts when I have Blood lust or my meta gem proccing.

If this all stacks together + a power infusion = gg

It has been mentioned that you cannot reach the GCD of 1 sec with gear alone, it will take a combination of gear with drums or bloodlust etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Durakghar
    It has been mentioned that you cannot reach the GCD of 1 sec with gear alone, it will take a combination of gear with drums or bloodlust etc.
    :X guess im not going for the spellhaste gear in that case.

Sorry for sounding stupid: But in what way does haste improve anything? It doesnt have to do with the casting time?
    And what is GCD - The time it takes for the spells cooldown or the time it takes for it to like do that clock-move?

Spell haste decreases the cast time of spells that require casts. It also reduces GCD, which is the time that you cant cast spells after you began to cast one.

Khody

Getting out of combat in 5v5 and ressing with heroism
    is win

spell haste is the new crit in pvp. get it...it's a stat that greatly increases your damage without being affected by resilience. just like how armor pen works for melee...

Deleted

With no haste:
    instant spells = 1.5 secGCD
    1.5 cast (like mage's Scorch) = 1.5 CGD = same time basicly

With 33% haste (for the sake of easy maths), doesnt matter if its with trinkets, talents or gear:
    instant spells = 1.5 sec CGD
    1 sec cast = 1 sec GCD

hope that helps

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by frag971
    With no haste:
    instant spells = 1.5 secGCD
    1.5 cast (like mage's Scorch) = 1.5 CGD = same time basicly

With 33% haste (for the sake of easy maths), doesnt matter if its with trinkets, talents or gear:
    instant spells = 1.5 sec CGD
    1 sec cast = 1 sec GCD

hope that helps
    not true. 33% spell haste does NOT mean 33% less cast time but 33% more cast speed (which isn't the same. think about it or read http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_haste)

with 33% haste rating, a scorch (1.5 sec cast w/o haste) would take 1.5 / 1.33 = 1.1278 sec to cast, and as far as I understand it, also the GCD from instant spells would be reduced to 1.1278 sec.

Deleted

Ok, im not into the details but i guess the two posts above made everyone clear how it will affect the GCD :

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor
    not true. 33% spell haste does NOT mean 33% less cast time but 33% more cast speed (which isn't the same. think about it or read http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_haste)

with 33% haste rating, a scorch (1.5 sec cast w/o haste) would take 1.5 / 1.33 = 1.1278 sec to cast, and as far as I understand it, also the GCD from instant spells would be reduced to 1.1278 sec.
    your cast time calcs are correct, im not sure if it will be the same number for the gcd. would make sense but blizz indicated it will take other means (power infusion or trinkets) to hit that 1 second mark, indicating a huge amount of haste would be necessary.

Well as a frost pvp mage I am shooting for all the spell haste I can get on this new gear. Notice they are working on fixing some of the spell pushback issues mages have. But its not all about the frostbolt... also sheeps and arcane missles.
    Currently when hunter has pet on you and starts plinking its rediculously OP against the mage. You will not be able to cast anything other than instants for the most part. I think blizzard hopefully will help us on spell pushback somewhat and as frost pvp mage haste may become a godsend. We wont need the crit from silk gear due to shatter. I really am disappointed they are going to make the MSD meta worthless..../cry

When it comes to spell haste, it seems blizzard is moving in this direction for casters based on all the new loot from ZA and badges.

With all the haste gear from ZA and badges I came up with 213 spell haste. (Dunno if I missed anything but if you feel up to it see what you can come up with). I looked around online and actually found the formula to calculate the casting speed reductions based on you spell haste rating.

New Casting Time = Base Casting Time / (1 + (Spell Haste Rating / 1570))

I'll use a fireball with the above stated 213 spell haste as an example.

X = 3/(1+(213/1570))
    X = 2.64

If you're wondering where the 1570 comes from I'll explain that next. 1570 is the amount of haste it would take to reduce a 3 second cast to 1.5 seconds (GCD).

X = 3/(1+(1570/1570))
    X = 1.5

That being said, 1570 is the "cap" on spell haste for 3 second spells. Of course spells like scorch or arcane blast would be well below the GCD at this point, BUT, since you can't bypass the GCD you would still have to wait until the spell is ready to cast again.

I figured with the addition of the Icy Veins talent I should do some number crunching to determine how much haste rating Icy Veins gives you while it's active. With 0 spell haste Icy Veins takes a 3 second fireball to 2.5 seconds. To figure out how much spell haste this adds up to you use the reverse formula.

Spell Haste Rating = 1570((Base Cast Time/New Cast Time)-1)

X = 1570((3/2.5)-1)
    X = 314

Let's see what 213 spell haste with Icy Veins does to a fireball cast.

X = 3/(1+(527/1570))
    X = 2.25

I also did some searching to figure out a rough answer to the question of which is better: Hit vs Haste vs Dmg vs Crit? From what I can see in most posts Hit > Haste ≈ Dmg > Crit. I found a really well written post by a guy on the Subcreation forums that I'll post below.

Note: 17 spell haste = 1.08%

Quote Originally Posted by Tiga from Subcreation
    Given how hard it is to estimate the lag issues, I'll just equate 1 haste rating with +1 damage and consider that 15.76 haste rating will cost me up to 5 mana/5 (if everyone stacks haste or improves their DPS, the fight becomes shorter, so it doesn't work out as quite that bad in reality). I'll go a bit deeper into that:

If you have to do X damage in a fight and you have 10% haste, you'll do the damage in about 9% less time, which means your mana regeneration time is reduced by 9%. Things that fall into this category include mana potions, mana gems, mage armor, totems and the friendly neighbourhood shadow priest (although the shadow priest can possibly increase his/her mana battery efficiency if the main thank stacks haste and generates threat faster). Total mana used in a fight consists of your initial mana pool (around 10k average, I guess), evocation (7k after patch unless you have enough T6, up to 9k now). Assuming you do 10 damage per mana and need to do 400k damage, evocation and your initial mana pool will account for 170k to 190k of that. That means the other methods mentioned need to generate up to 23k mana somehow. Given 9% less time than before, 9% of 23k is about 2.1k. Assuming you have 9 minutes to dish out 400k damage (that's only 740 dps btw, but there's usually movement etc), the 2.1k mana regen over that time equates to 19.4 mana/5 seconds.

Based on the "paper napkin math above" (which is probably flawed in many ways, but gives some ballpark numbers to play with - and I'm wondering if I should post this at all), I guess 1% haste is going to eat up between 2 and 5 mana/5 seconds more.

5 mana/5 is based the assumption that your mana regen needs to keep you running indefinitely and 2 mana/5 is based on a situation where your initial mana + one evocation can be consumed and you end up with 0 mana at the end of the fight.
    Source of Formulas: http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_haste
    Source of Post: http://forums.subcreation.net/viewtopic.php?pid=73006
    I wrote this post a few weeks ago before the PTR notes were released so you can take what you want from it and apply it with the new information and it should help out. Also I know now that I DID miss some items when stacking up the 213 haste in the beginning of the post but at the moment I'm far too lazy to go back and recount and change it when it's not really necessary for the point.

Not that i'm not doubting your math, but the reason you use 1570 isn't because it's a "cap" as you put it, but 1570 simplifies the equation.

to get % spell haste, you divide haste by 15.7. 157 haste / 15.7 = 10, which is it's % value. to get the decimal value we need to divide that by 100

0.10 = (157 / 15.7) / 100

however, if we multiply 15.7 x 100, we have 1570
    0.10 = 157 / 1570

If you used the 15.7 value (instead of 1570) your equation would look like,

New Cast Time = Base cast time / (1 + ( ( haste raiting / 15.7) / 100 ) )

always good to have outside minds add to things like this, especially since it's a relatively new and not so well known aspect of the game. thanks for the input Azaril ;D

hopefully we'll get some more positive feedback on the topic