Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2.4 on background downloader, blue posts

Patch 2.4 available from the background downloader
    The first part of the patch 2.4 is now available from the background downloader on live servers. This could be a sign of imminent release, or just the same thing as everytime with Blizzard trying to make the upcoming patch day as pleasant as possible. Keep in mind that everytime Blizzard did this, we had to wait a few more weeks before the effective deployment of the patch on live servers.

Arena and Battleground PvP
    Drysc made a very long post about the state of PvP in WoW.
    Originally Posted by Drysc (Blue Tracker)
    It happens, but I'll try to touch upon each of your points and maybe give some small amount of insight and reassurance that they're all points we're either aware of or actively working to resolve.

Regarding spec viability we would definitely like to see every spec at least partially viable, that doesn't mean however that each spec will be equal in a very cutthroat PvP environment like the arenas. A prot warrior or shadow priest or what have you should though be able to jump into a battleground or arena and be able to do something with some small amount of success. How much success that should be is really the question, but our general philosophy is that we're ok with some specs not being as viable as others, we sort of have to be.

There's a synergy within the classes for PvP, as well as PvE, that doesn't lend itself to a model where every spec is exactly the same, exactly as viable as the other, in every situation. At that point we start watering down classes, watering down abilities, copy and pasting, the focus of the game is lost, dogs and cats are living together... mass hysteria.

Moving on to battlegrounds I don't believe we've ever stated that we have fewer maps to keep queue times short, that's not an issue. The issue is the amount of time it takes to create a battleground, and balancing that work time with other areas of the game. Battlegrounds are very labor intensive, Warsong Gulch which is probably the smallest of the battleground maps still has some terrain issues here and there. Playtesting, balancing, making edits, all require a very large amount of resources to ensure a successful battleground.

Now, that's not to say we aren't willing to put in the time, only that we have an entire game to put resources into, and those resources have to be delegated appropriately. The entire team is now working full force on Wrath of the Lich King, and the new battleground it also includes. Hopefully there will be some time to get additional battleground maps into the mix even after it ships. Personally though I think I'm most excited about Lake Wintergrasp just to see how it turns out.

In any case I'm sure the people you've been playing with have appreciated your time with them in the game, and I think you'll be pretty excited with the stuff going on in Wrath once we get a bit closer and can start revealing more and more. But I hope you had fun, and see you around maybe.

Hairstyles and helmet bugs
    If you've got an "unusual" hairstyle, you probably had to deal with a few clipping bugs with your helmets. Hortus explains why you might look funny (and bald) with a few of them, at the moment the best way to fix it is to simply hide your helmet.
    Originally Posted by Hortus (Blue Tracker)
    This is a bug fix to prevent clipping of hair through the front of the helmet. We currently do not have the capability to turn off part of an avatar's hair, it's all or nothing and the item designers make a decision on which one is most attractive to the largest number of hairstyles.

If your particular hairstyle does not look appropriate with the helmet then I would suggest turning the helmet off in your options menu.

Why do we have to install so many patches on PTR ?
    We're probably reaching the end of the testing phase of Patch 2.4, and PTR newcomers might be a bit scared by the amount of patch they have to download to get their PTR client up to date, Tigerclaw explains why there are so many of them.
    Originally Posted by Tigerclaw (Blue Tracker)

The QA process for a "universal" or one-step patch is much more involved and time consuming than for an incremental patch from version X to X+1. During PTR where we may revise the build one or two times a week, that extra testing time might add more delay than we would like. There is a trade off here - if it gets really out of hand then we might just advise PTR testers to delete their WoWTest folder and we could release a new step-1 patch.

Other blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Vista / WotLK Graphic upgrade
    The Expansion is not going to require users to upgrade to Vista. We have some things in the works on the end of graphics, but it's not anything that is going to require this specific upgrade. (Source)

Death Knight unlocking
    The thing to keep in mind is that no official information has been provided on how this will work. We don't plan to make it a big hassle as we want everybody to have the option to play the class, but that is all we have stated so far. (Source)

Housing
    We also wouldn't want to squeeze in a new feature like this just to have it. Anything we implement has to meet and satisfy our own standards. We have heard the desire for this feature for players, but for now we will have to wait and see as we have no further details on the topic. (Source)

Official site - 4 New fanarts
    4 fanarts have been added to the european and american official site.

Re: 2.4 on background downloader, blue posts

первый нах! ;D

firts of all - sor for bad english.

About first blue post - in short he ask us to forgive them for unbalance in areana/bg and just wait for woltk? where it will be better then now?

Drysc is a real politician... he says alot to finaly say nothing.
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Wildhorn
    Drysc is a real politician... he says alot to finaly say nothing.
    You cant blame him either. So so many whiners that "demand" justice, that its hard to please everyone. He cant just say stfu :P Tseric tried it and we all know what happend.

so i'm an idiot and didn't realize you have to open the WoW launcher and then open wow through that to trigger the background DL. just posting in case anyone else wondered why it didn't pop for them, if your shortcut is directly to WoW or the Test client it won't.
    k thx bai.

I'm pretty confused if the testing is coming to an end. Where's the PvP changes promised? I see nothing in the way of balancing, all they've done is slapped a tournament realm on and called it a day? ???

Also that Draenei Shaman picture is amazing.

The entire team is now working full force on Wrath of the Lich King, and the new battleground it also includes
    Thats ABSURD .. Why can't you people first finish off what you started with , meaing TBC . Fix it , Balance it , Improve it . Before moving on to the next stage.There's no point in creating expansions when they're not well concidered , created and designed .

So Blizzard , next stage WOTLK , It isn't balanced and what will you do then ? Tel us to STFU again while your making a new expansion . Like that there will never be balance ...

My opinion , first make sure TBC is OK . Then move on ...
    Althought , right now that is probably to late . When it comes to PVP your MOUNTHS behind on the patching , experimenting and ofcrouse fixing , issues like vanish bug , shadowpriests in general , ect . Should have been taken care of mounths ago (impo a 2 mounths after TBC's release). Servive 0.00 I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Soultaker
    Thats ABSURD .. Why can't you people first finish off what you started with , meaing TBC . Fix it , Balance it , Improve it . Before moving on to the next stage.There's no point in creating expansions when they're not well concidered , created and designed .
    lol i felt the same way, if the ENTIRE team is working on WotLK, what is happening with 2.4? is it really that close to done now that it is being sent to the background downloader and the team has moved on?

perhaps we will see it much sooner than many predicted, although the post about s4 the day before leaves me to believe that is still 4-6 weeks off.

I agree, they fed us the same garbage before TBC too.
    "we're working on the expansion so we're not really fixing current stuff"

It seems to me they are are always working on something else and more and more i feel like im playing a beta.
    How many instances arent bugged on release and get fixed only months later? Class issues that last and last.

I've been saying for almost a year now that they should stop working on things to come for two months and clean up their damn code first.
    Every new patch gives old content buggs and they stay bugged.

Forget about making a nostalgia run to do AQ40 or Nax, quite some encounters are fubar.
    I'm a force of nature..... with lazorz ... PEW PEW !!

Working on the expansion to fix a large number of issues makes perfect sense. A game is a very technical project and when you start adding, or in the case of WoW users start demanding, features that you never designed for in the first place it becomes real hell. A patch would be WAY to much trouble to make major technical changes with. Expansions allow large code changes, technical feature adjusts, and give you time to see the larger picture. I'm not happy at all with current balance, ask my guildies what I think about my Mage in 2s, but I'm not going to pretend that this can be changed in a split hair. I'm not going to pretend large changes that get suggested are even remotely possible. Being a game developer would not be fun when it comes to balancing, far to much of your player base is ignorant of what all must be changed in the background to make it work. They can't just copy and paste code around or else it gets sloppy and performance both server and client side drops QUICK.

Then add to the fact that you have people wanting new content and other trying (they're lying) to say "Oh we're fine with content just fix it!" Can't please everyone and the middle ground seems to piss off everyone.

15+ Year Old Account

"We don't plan to make it a big hassle as we want everybody to have the option to play the class, but that is all we have stated so far."

Then stop fucking calling it a 'hero class' because if everyone can play it, and it's no more powerful than any other class, then it's not a hero class. It's just a class that is different.

I'm sorry to say but the blue post about how some specs will never be that good at pvp just kinda seals the deal for me. What little creativity went into World of Warcraft is very clearly drying up with the forced content, lack luster skins, and horrible class mechanic's. The insanely limited player customization is enough to make you heave, and after 4 years it's only in their supposed final X-Pac that they are introducing more hair styles and dances...Hey, how about not reusing the same bloody armor skins with slightly different color scheme. Are you that backed up with Starcraft 2? Only took you a decade to start working on the real version.

It's been talked about before, and we all know it's true. WoW is going to be around a long time, because it's an easy instantly gratifying snore fest, and people like that. Blizzard has proved that they can please a lot of people with a mediocre product with no insight for the future of it's customers. I know they wont miss my money, or even 3 million player's for that matter. 7 million more to keep their rain flowing on the 10k whores who are probably dictating the class balance from the look of things. You know you can see some stripper sitting there spread eagle talking to a dev "Omg! I got beat last night by a druid, I hate them, they're ugly! Make sure I never lose again," and the dev just shakes his head in good zombie style.

The more creative player base is going to move on pretty soon here, maybe have their account turned on from time to time just to see what's new. But Thank God for Warhammer, Conan, Aion, or f***, Hello Kitty Online! Anything but this regurgitated trash they keep spewing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Induqd
    so i'm an idiot and didn't realize you have to open the WoW launcher and then open wow through that to trigger the background DL. just posting in case anyone else wondered why it didn't pop for them, if your shortcut is directly to WoW or the Test client it won't.
    k thx bai.
    When you have the WoW launcher open, click "options" and mark all the 3 options. Then you have the choise of downloading without playing - start the backgrounddownloader from your WoW installation folder. Or while you play as the backgrounddownloader then starts when the launcher detects new patch content.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

I like his style. Take our millions a month just to create ONE BATTLEGROUND. Please don't spoil us too much with so many options I wouldn't know what to do.

gratz Drysc
    few people could say less in more words than you!

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

If they would ever make it a requirement to play World of Warcraft with Windows Vista only, they'll loose shit loads of players. Just because you play World of Warcraft it doesn't per automatic say you use Windows. There's Mac players and players like me who play it on Ubuntu (Linux). I for one would never choose my OS to play games.

Linux for life.
    -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Delondial
    I'm sorry to say but the blue post about how some specs will never be that good at pvp just kinda seals the deal for me. What little creativity went into World of Warcraft is very clearly drying up with the forced content, lack luster skins, and horrible class mechanic's. The insanely limited player customization is enough to make you heave, and after 4 years it's only in their supposed final X-Pac that they are introducing more hair styles and dances...Hey, how about not reusing the same bloody armor skins with slightly different color scheme. Are you that backed up with Starcraft 2? Only took you a decade to start working on the real version.

It's been talked about before, and we all know it's true. WoW is going to be around a long time, because it's an easy instantly gratifying snore fest, and people like that. Blizzard has proved that they can please a lot of people with a mediocre product with no insight for the future of it's customers. I know they wont miss my money, or even 3 million player's for that matter. 7 million more to keep their rain flowing on the 10k whores who are probably dictating the class balance from the look of things. You know you can see some stripper sitting there spread eagle talking to a dev "Omg! I got beat last night by a druid, I hate them, they're ugly! Make sure I never lose again," and the dev just shakes his head in good zombie style.

The more creative player base is going to move on pretty soon here, maybe have their account turned on from time to time just to see what's new. But Thank God for Warhammer, Conan, Aion, or f***, Hello Kitty Online! Anything but this regurgitated trash they keep spewing out.
    Dear Blizzard,

My single request to you is as follows. Whenever you see someone make a post saying that your game sucks ass and they are going to quit, please just do us all a favor and instantly ban their account from play. Since they were quitting anyway it won't bother them, since they are just mindless forum trolls you would be better off without them and since the rest of us are sick to death of seeing the same idle threats again and again we would all have a much more enjoyable experience if we never again had to listen to them.

Thank You.

P.S. Same message goes to the mmo-champion moderators.

A prot warrior or shadow priest or what have you should though be able to jump into a battleground or arena and be able to do something with some small amount of success.
    Prot war in pvp = shadowpriest. 'nuf said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sembiance
    "We don't plan to make it a big hassle as we want everybody to have the option to play the class, but that is all we have stated so far."

Then stop fucking calling it a 'hero class' because if everyone can play it, and it's no more powerful than any other class, then it's not a hero class. It's just a class that is different.
    Not everybody can play it... You need to get to a higher level on another character first and for some people thats hard. Plus I seem to remember thats the only reason its a hero class, on the forums they state that it will be equal in power to other classes, just extremly different... without that annoying releveling =P. Now I can play on a friends server without having to spend 7 days of my life to get to 70.

God damn, bitch bitch, bitch, is that all you bastards can do? Every god damn time something changes, all we hear is bitching. You wonder why they don't tell us shit? I don't, its pretty self evident. Seriously, if you hate it that god damn much, leave. The rest of us will stick around and see how it turns out before we make any judgments, cause every time in the past that we've had major changes like this, they've ended up, oh, you know, NOT RUINING THE GAME! Anyone remember Deathcoil? Locks bitching day in and day out form the time its announced... and now look at it, its one of the keystones of the class. As to the poeple bitching about the comments about specs in PvP... are you really that stupid? Nothing has changed here! Prot has NEVER been viable in PvP. As a matter of fact, the only thing I can see from that statement is GOOD, since they intend to at least try to make it SLIGHTLY viable, which is god damn better than its ever been before.

Anyways, quit the bitching, seriously, cause most of us don't want to hear it and don't care about your shitty, wrong opinions.