Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    old-school servers

    after watching this movie ;
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=68065

    I was wondering when blizzard is going to launch the old-school servers, cause wasn't there some speculation about it ???


  2. #2
    Bolter
    Guest

    Re: old-school servers

    Old school servers as in Pre-TBS ones? 60 max and Naxx?
    If your talkin about what i think you are id like 60Max'Nd'Naxx servers, id be on em
    BRING BACK 60!

  3. #3

    Re: old-school servers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolter
    Old school servers as in Pre-TBS ones? 60 max and Naxx?
    If your talkin about what i think you are id like 60Max'Nd'Naxx servers, id be on em
    BRING BACK 60!
    yep

  4. #4

    Re: old-school servers

    I'm pretty sure Blizzard said, a long time ago, that they had no plan of doing anything like exclusive pre-BC servers.
    But man i'd like to see that happenning. I wonder how long it would take guilds to go from scratch to kelthuzad.

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Jivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    823

    Re: old-school servers

    Hey, thats a new one!

  6. #6

    Re: old-school servers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bramickias
    I'm pretty sure Blizzard said, a long time ago, that they had no plan of doing anything like exclusive pre-BC servers.
    But man i'd like to see that happenning. I wonder how long it would take guilds to go from scratch to kelthuzad.
    Depends on whether they''ll implement the less-xp-per-level and more-xp-for-quests adjustments that we're introduced a couple of patches ago... If so, people will be level 60 in no time.

    I'm gonna give those a try too, can't wait to go back to old-skool-all-weekend MC raids 8)



  7. #7

    Re: old-school servers

    All I ever hear about is how much better the game was PRE-TBC. How everything was more balanced, simple and fun. I started the day TBC came out so i obviously never got to experience that, but i would most definitely be interested.

    As far as the 2.3 lvl shortening and greater rewards, not only should they not include in a 60 max server, I dont like it in any server. To many 60+ players kno too little about the game and even their own class. I had to explain what kiting was to a lvl 64 hunter. It makes it too easy for idiots to survive and progress.
    If You Equip A Mining Pick as a Weapon, It Should Skill Up Your Mining Too.* You Know, like Death Mining.

  8. #8

    Re: old-school servers

    They already stated that they would NOT be doing this. Because in order to accomplish this they would have to split the team up, one to maintain the current content and one for the vanilla WoW.

    If you want to play like this then find a private server that does it. They exist.

  9. #9

    Re: old-school servers

    Quote Originally Posted by Winco
    They already stated that they would NOT be doing this. Because in order to accomplish this they would have to split the team up, one to maintain the current content and one for the vanilla WoW.

    If you want to play like this then find a private server that does it. They exist.
    Eventually they will do it, like EQ did...12 years after it came out :
    Free gold tomorrow!

  10. #10
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Posts
    203

    Re: old-school servers

    Pre-TBC was not THAT great. I don't know why people insist on this.

    Pre-TBC PVP was playing 18 hours a day so you could get gear and a title.

    Pre-TBC PVE was either being insanely under geared or doing a 40 man raid with 15 people /afking. This is where the term "auto shot afk was born." Pre-TBC PVE was having 40 people fight over 2 pieces of loot that dropped off a boss, but it didn't matter anyways because all that dropped was druid gear. (Naxx is the exception).

    Pre-TBC rep grinding was horrid. Timbermaw rep was 5 rep per kill and the turn in was 50. Argent dawn rep was a pain to level after revered.

    Gold was much harder to come by, unless you spent your day in Tyr's hand.

    However, I will admit that Naxx was a very awesome instance and 40 man raids had that more "epic" feeling. But the raiding scene in TBC has improved greatly. I enjoyed PVP more pre-TBC because it was before resilience was introduced.

    Overall, TBC is a much better game.

  11. #11

    Re: old-school servers

    Quote Originally Posted by ndrew
    Pre-TBC was not THAT great. I don't know why people insist on this.

    Pre-TBC PVP was playing 18 hours a day so you could get gear and a title.

    Pre-TBC PVE was either being insanely under geared or doing a 40 man raid with 15 people /afking. This is where the term "auto shot afk was born." Pre-TBC PVE was having 40 people fight over 2 pieces of loot that dropped off a boss, but it didn't matter anyways because all that dropped was druid gear. (Naxx is the exception).

    Pre-TBC rep grinding was horrid. Timbermaw rep was 5 rep per kill and the turn in was 50. Argent dawn rep was a pain to level after revered.

    Gold was much harder to come by, unless you spent your day in Tyr's hand.

    However, I will admit that Naxx was a very awesome instance and 40 man raids had that more "epic" feeling. But the raiding scene in TBC has improved greatly. I enjoyed PVP more pre-TBC because it was before resilience was introduced.

    Overall, TBC is a much better game.
    ROFL So freaking true, I was on Skullcrusher in Unholy Empire out 1st Rag kill I missed second kill Dragonstalker Legs drop'd. Mine Mine Mine!! Class leader was a moron, thought I should've passed the legs to someone else since I didnt raid ALL the time. Ah man.....the naked corpse runs after Lucifron. Those were good times. True though not enough loot, still it was much more appreciated then tho.

    P.S. I still think the shaman Tier 2 old skin looked better then the reskin.

  12. #12

    Re: old-school servers

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelladel
    2 things,

    1: Precisely because each item was fought over by 40 people made it so special. Not like now, where you kick a rock and a thousand epics pop up.

    2: Tyr's Hand >>>>> Any goddamn daily quests. (Not in terms of economic value, of course).

    Umm, bullshit. To both your points. And while Naxx was awesome, for the most part Pre-TBC is the same as Post-TBC just with worse PvP, worse raids, worse rep, worse professions, and worse rep. The amount of balance between classes has pretty much stayed close to same, although some of the classes that were on the top/bottom have switched around a little (but surprisingly little). To be honest, I think if anything, the balance Post-TBC is better than pre by a decent clip.

  13. #13

    Re: old-school servers

    2 things,

    1: Precisely because each item was fought over by 40 people made it so special. Not like now, where you kick a rock and a thousand epics pop up.

    2: Tyr's Hand >>>>> Any goddamn daily quests. (Not in terms of economic value, of course).
    another that complaint about how ez it is to get gear now.... dude ... i dont feel like spending 3 years to gear up a char ... ive 2 70 and my second one got geared in no time and im glad thx blizzard ! so i can play 2 char without getting pawn by over-geared player and i can get into raid more quickly. whats wrong with that ?? ?? ??? this game is about having fun playing it not gear...

    if you want "special item" then your in the wrong game .. we are 10 million players and everybody have the same gear.. that except the 5% people that got into end game raid.. gratz to them they got some rare item that most players will never get but they worked for it...

    and for my part i would not play on a old-school server but i understand the people that want it and i wish that you guys got those server from blizzard.if it makes some player happy why not ? :P

    "special" lol that kind of crap make me sick... we are all unique .. but its not gears that make us being special

    sorry for the bad english :-\ im trying


  14. #14
    Dreadlord Jivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    823

    Re: old-school servers

    yes youre right, anybody should be able to have fun in the game
    i'd also say that you should get your pvp gear with spending hardly time for it, BUT
    the things that the raiders get should be far superior to the pvp-gear because of the invested time for pve-raids is much more than for pvp


    (but thats just offtopic, nvm)

  15. #15

    Re: old-school servers

    Quote Originally Posted by Minkus
    All I ever hear about is how much better the game was PRE-TBC. How everything was more balanced, simple and fun. I started the day TBC came out so i obviously never got to experience that, but i would most definitely be interested.
    Especially for people like you I hope that will come true some day. I as an oldschool player only cry about how bad the game got, how many fun aspects got destroyed and so on but for you it would be a chance to feel differently.
    But then again, up till the point where there maybe classic servers will be opened, all will be used to get massive epics and won't understand that you actionally have to work for your gear.

    Well lets just hope Blizzard fixes some things in wotlk....

  16. #16

    Re: old-school servers

    Reasons I will never play on an old-school server.

    1) In order to be successful in PvP, you had to raid for hours on end to get the raiding tier sets. I'm not a huge fan of PvP so this doesn't affect me personally, but it just doesn't make much sense

    2) I play a paladin raid tank. Point me to the old school raid I can do that in.

  17. #17
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Posts
    203

    Re: old-school servers

    Yea and that's another thing. Pre-TBC what could druids, paladins, shamans and priests do? Heal. That's it.

    Now shamans can be top dps and top heals. Paladins are great tanks. Druids are great tanks and shadow priests are an awesome raid utility.

    I remember doing onyxia at level 60 with a druid tank and it was "big deal."

    As for the prior post about 40 people fighting over loot. I'm sorry but that was NOT fun. Although my old guild did not clear naxx, we spent many weeks in it. I got an entire 1 piece of gear. This was after many many weeks of raiding.

    At least in TBC I have badges, and more frequent raid drops. And some loot is still rare. My guild has been killing archimonde for many months but I am the only person in the guild with a tempest of chaos. I don't think there are more than 5 of those on my server.

  18. #18

    Re: old-school servers

    Definitely agree with the previous post.

    Usually, people claiming that Pre-TBC was better are typically warriors, mages or rogues :

    It was good times for those who chose the right class because they were dominating pvp and pve juste because of their class, while other others couldn't compete even if they were great players.

    PRe-TBC you had basically no choice (except warriors and paladins who could be very good dps) : if your class could heal, tier set were designated to heal, and if you didn't want to be a healer you couldn't get any loot cause "real" dps classes got the offset gear before you (and anyway even when equally geared you couldn't compete with them).

    Being myself a pve enhancement chaman since day one, whenever I look back at pre-TBC I ask myself "How did I manage to keep on playing this long under such crappy conditions ?"



  19. #19

    Re: old-school servers

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyjoe
    Definitely agree with the previous post.

    Usually, people claiming that Pre-TBC was better are typically warriors, mages or rogues :

    It was good times for those who chose the right class because they were dominating pvp and pve juste because of their class, while other others couldn't compete even if they were great players.

    PRe-TBC you had basically no choice (except warriors and paladins who could be very good dps) : if your class could heal, tier set were designated to heal, and if you didn't want to be a healer you couldn't get any loot cause "real" dps classes got the offset gear before you (and anyway even when equally geared you couldn't compete with them).

    Being myself a pve enhancement chaman since day one, whenever I look back at pre-TBC I ask myself "How did I manage to keep on playing this long under such crappy conditions ?"
    as a rogue, I take umbrage at that remark... Vanilla WoW was NOT the great days that everyone paints it out to be. It was mainly the same, but not as much fun. Sure, it was still a good game... but TBC made just about EVERYTHING better.

  20. #20

    Re: old-school servers

    Post-TBC is not worse than pre-TBC, actually the game is better now. But the longer you play it the more you get bored and no future improvements will change that...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •