Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: S4 Items, WotLK Fakes, Hidden Servers

To those mentioning that there are over 2000 Servers and thus very expensive. Of course they are not all physical servers! I highly doubt that you can only run a single instance of a WoWserver on a given physical server (still, must be a lot of physical machines), most likely there are more than just a view on one, since many of them are only for a hand ful people, some probably without any players at all most of the time. I fenture a guess that they are simply servers for the developers, maybe even quest designers, to quickly deploy their build. I also doubt that all of the servers on the list are actually running, much like the realm list sometimes during mantainance where all servers are displayed as offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuffelbert
    To those mentioning that there are over 2000 Servers and thus very expensive. Of course they are not all physical servers! I highly doubt that you can only run a single instance of a WoWserver on a given physical server (still, must be a lot of physical machines), most likely there are more than just a view on one, since many of them are only for a hand ful people, some probably without any players at all most of the time. I fenture a guess that they are simply servers for the developers, maybe even quest designers, to quickly deploy their build. I also doubt that all of the servers on the list are actually running, much like the realm list sometimes during mantainance where all servers are displayed as offline.
    One instance is made out of "server-hubs". So yes, you are completely wrong. You need multiple servers to run 1 instance.
    l2hardware

Quote Originally Posted by overneathe
    You need multiple servers to run 1 instance.
    l2hardware
    People start to understand where month fee go ^^

Anyway, the only thinks i see in this list :
    1436 : USxy-BG. (12 Servers)
    1448 : EUxy-BG-zz. (28 Servers)
    1472 : KRxy-BG. (4 Servers)
    1478 : TWxy-BG. (2 Servers)
    1480 : CSBGx. (7 Servers)
    1526 : QAx-BG. (2 Servers)
    1528 : CNxy-BG. (16 Servers)

EU get much more Battlegroup server than US.
    Its confirmed by the number of server by Battlegroup, but the outsourcing is not managed the same way.

You need several phyiscal servers to run a single instance of WoW with only a handful players on it? (I am fully aware that there are several servers for a "complete" WoW server capable of supporting peak times on normal servers). Could you point me to some sources please? Apparently you have more insight into this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuffelbert
    You need several phyiscal servers to run a single instance of WoW with only a handful players on it? (I am fully aware that there are several servers for a "complete" WoW server capable of supporting peak times on normal servers). Could you point me to some sources please? Apparently you have more insight into this matter.
    No I just know how some things work >.>
    Besides these "Battleground" servers which are actually the servers for all the realms in that BG there are: item servers, cache servers, instance (as in dungeon) servers and so on. Just how do you think Blizz keeps track of everything happening to your character 2 years back? .txt files?

itemserver etc are NOT physical servers, they run on physical servers, isn't that obvious? (they would probably be just a database anyway) I'm quite sure that all of the mentioned servers could run on a single physical server without a problem when the load is small (which it is when there are only a handful of players, how much do you think is going on in all those instance servers if noone is in them?). Also I would find it strange if every WoW instance needs it's own "itemserver", especially if the item database is near the WoW servers (especially for items I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of not running the database on the physical server is actually higher). But be it as it may, the company i'm working for runs several dozens of application servers on a single physical server (just to illustrate the point, WoW is far more demanding on hardware, i know).
    Our main product can tax a dedicated server heavily and the database often need to run on a separate server too because of this, but for testing we can run several of them on the same machine, including the databases, because the load is so extremely low. The benefit? No need for dozens mostly unused servers and every developer has his own playground.

If you have insight in how blizzards folks are working, please tell. I'm quite interested in this. (btw, "I just know how some things work" is not really a good argument, try to back it up please)

I wasn't saying that ALL of those servers are physical. Was saying that you need a lot of physical ones to run our well known WoW. >.>
    And a lot of these are still run by a lot of physical servers.

WHERE was i saying that this isn't the case?

I actually said "not all", everyone playing WoW before probably saw instance or arena server going down and everyone was still playing normally outside of those (and stated this again in all my following posts too).