Thread: DPS questions

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DPS questions

I have a few questions regarding DPS classes and raiding. I am quite ignorant of end game raiding having only made it through Kara so please be don't resort to flames to get your point across, I am confident in your ability to use coherent sentences and have a positive attitude.

1. What class is most needed for end game DPS? I have a rogue but am leveling a hunter right now.
    2. Are the PvP weapons worth getting, in terms of time, or should I just wait for drops?
    3. For a rogue what stat should I focus on the most? For a hunter?

Thank you for your time. ;D

EDIT - My rogue's armory page - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...el&n=Insurgent
    I know he is crappily geared, no such observations needed.

Phoulmouth

Re: DPS questions

Quote Originally Posted by Serov
    I have a few questions regarding DPS classes and raiding. I am quite ignorant of end game raiding having only made it through Kara so please be don't resort to flames to get your point across, I am confident in your ability to use coherent sentences and have a positive attitude.

1. What class is most needed for end game DPS? I have a rogue but am leveling a hunter right now.
    2. Are the PvP weapons worth getting, in terms of time, or should I just wait for drops?

Thank you for your time. ;D

EDIT - My rogue's armory page - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...el&n=Insurgent
    I know he is crappily geared, no such observations needed.
    1) Huters DPS is not as easy as people think. You have to get a good shot rotation down. I have seen hunters in my guild compete for top DPS on the meters, and others (who dont raid anymore) compete with the tanks. Rogues are a very easy class to DPS with as long as you have the right spec.

2) For a rogue the PvP weapons are actually pretty ideal. They all have a lil hit rating and AP. Yes there are drops you could get but the PvP weapons are better until your in tier 5 maybe 6.

3) For a rogue you should be focusing more on gear with crit rating and attack power. From there you would look at agility then stamina. I havent played a hunter past lvl 45 so i cant be sure, but i believe they are very dependant upon spec.

I would say warlock. Also it's the easiest class to level up.

Depends on the class - for a melee I would say definately go for PVP weapons (S2 for honor then when S4 comes out), as a caster you don't need any PVP stuff at all (you can get enough from professions).

Rogue: hit >> ap > crit
    Hunter: about the same I'd say but no real idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoulmouth
    3) For a rogue you should be focusing more on gear with crit rating and attack power.
    Bullcrap - rogues main DPS source are white hits, go for crit either then hit and see all laugh at your dps.

What I got so far - I need hit rating then AP then crit for my rogue. My hit rating is really low so that will be 1st priority.
    For a hunter it depends on spec, I was thinking about going MM or staying BM at 70 - thoughts?

If you're good, any class.

If you are wanting easy spots, my experience is Shadow priest. The utility they provide now means 1-2 spots for sure and 3 if you're lucky, and a shadow priest is probably more easy to gear up then any other class. kara/badge gear and a few items from ZA if you can will get you in a pretty respectable position for BT/Hyjal entrance. In fact t4 and even t5 are generally laughed at by the shadow priest, making it a lot easier to gear up when you can basically skip whole tier sets without problems.

Don't forget Frozen Shadowweave and a Spellstrike Hood. It's not the best, but it will last you a looooong time. Especially the FSW.

Deleted

of my own experience i would rate the stats => hit / crit / ap for a rogue, in order of importance.

like said before most rogue dmg is from white hits approx 50-60%.
    the hardest part about rogue is getting as much dps uptime as possible and staying alive ofc .

after checking op's armory I would advice him to change some points in
    combat tree
    - you don't need improved sinister strike when daggers. (shiv when needed)
    - remove deflection, you'll be behind the target so no need to parry (a parry also resets the swingtimer of the mob)
    - remove blade twisting, never tried it myself but i can understand it might be funny in pvp, but it does not deliver any dps.

assassination tree
    - get 5/5 lethality
    - get relentless strikes
    - get 2/2 murder
    - remove imp evisc and try and get some points into vile poisons.

subtelity tree
    - get 5/5 opportunity

my 2euro cents

greenmasheen

would just like to note that hunters are needed for more than just their dps... buffs and misdirrect are important imo.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmasheen
    would just like to note that hunters are needed for more than just their dps... buffs and misdirrect are important imo.
    Misdirect is a must if you don't want to loose 10 seconds for tank to build up aggro. We've got a good 3-4 hunters in raid every time. Tank cannot loose aggro.
    Also the nature aspect is nice on some fights. But Expose Weakness and especially Ferocious Inspiration is just too much to pass. Sorry rogues, but I beat ya a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by overneathe
    Misdirect is a must if you don't want to loose 10 seconds for tank to build up aggro. We've got a good 3-4 hunters in raid every time. Tank cannot loose aggro.
    Also the nature aspect is nice on some fights. But Expose Weakness and especially Ferocious Inspiration is just too much to pass. Sorry rogues, but I beat ya a lot.
    Not found a fight so far that needs Aspect of the Wild. I like that fact though!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoulmouth
    1) Huters DPS is not as easy as people think. You have to get a good shot rotation down. I have seen hunters in my guild compete for top DPS on the meters, and others (who dont raid anymore) compete with the tanks. Rogues are a very easy class to DPS with as long as you have the right spec.
    Not even close there bud.
    Spec BM and this is the only button you'll ever need to press outside of md and traps:

/cast !Auto shot
    /cast [target=pettarget, exists] Kill command
    /cast Steady shot
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Hunters provide a lot of utility and are easier to play than rogues. Gearing up is essentially the same though, only you need much less hit as a hunter than a rogue. Hit and agility are your friends.

Warning: the above macro will most likely oom you within a minute without an spriest, shaman, or judgement of wisdom. Be ready to pop fel mana potions if they above aren't available.

Rogues aren't too bad either, but you face a lot more obstacles in pve environments. Many fights can be unfriendly to melee and you always have to pay attention to the mob and your surroundings with much less margin for error.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelegend
    Not found a fight so far that needs Aspect of the Wild. I like that fact though!
    Well I use it on Hydross sometimes. On Vashj when me and a melee are on the stairs (for like 15 seconds but meh, timing ftw). Not gonna mention the toxic spores. :]
    It has it's use.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconna
    Rogues aren't too bad either, but you face a lot more obstacles in pve environments. Many fights can be unfriendly to melee and you always have to pay attention to the mob and your surroundings with much less margin for error.
    Problem with rogue is you cant really enjoy the view. All you see is ugly bosses's legs
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle

I'd say a pala. No, not necessarily a retri pala (the DPS is not so hot) but the one that puts Salvation on the DPS classes :P

Ok, which DPS class is most needed for end game DPS?

From the "pure DPS" (whatever that is) you have Rogue or warlock. For utility + OP DPS at lower raiding levels, SP (you won't miss raid spots as priest), although that entails pressure to be holy at some point.

Hunters are ok in terms of raiding, but still are a overpopulated class with tons of bad players. One for MD is enough, really (this despite being a very good class, easy mode, blah blah blah - separating good hunters from bad ones is too much trouble to grant them lots of places - locks outdamage them and mages are more emo power!)

Needed? In the small/easy raids it only depends on your server.
    I think like 80% of all other servers to you'll have more then enough rogues.
    In Endgame you mostly have every class present. Other then that hand full it depends on the player.

As long as you can improve your gear though farming bg’s do it!
    With S2 for Honor you’ll be buisy for a time.

For a rogue what stat should I focus on the most? For a hunter?
    Hit > AP > Crit

For a hunter?
    Still waiting for overneathe to giev protips :3
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet.

Oh, didn't notice it's my time to shine. /blush

Spec BM ofc. There needs to be a balance of your stats. For KZ try aiming at 1650+ap, 22% crit. At SSC/TK level and beyond the optimum figures are 2000ap ~30%crit. These are the best BM stats. Never go below ~120 hit at all times.

Ensure that you have 2/5 T5 at some point so your pet can stay alive longer.
    Considering shot rotations. I advice getting a faster weapon like the badge xbow and going for 60haste rating MAX with it. Everything beyond is a downside. Take up the 1:1 rotation or the 1:1priority if your mana pool can take the heat.
    If you go for a slow weapon use the 3:2 rotation and don't go for haste.
    Armor ignore is good and you can gimp AP to certain point but you need at least 400ArmIgn in order to have it become a good stat.

1. Atm I belive hunters top most overall raid meters at my level (T5 moving into T6 gear), unless in Hyjall. However on boss fights you will often see other classes than hunters topping the meters. All DPS classes are needed, raid balance, groups setups and buffs will allways be more important than 1 specific class.

2. I do not PVP, Ive gotten my trinket and thats all, so I got no clue

3. If you are planning to stick with daggers (I do the same myself even tho I know swords got a bit higher damage potential), you should focus on Hit > Agi > Crit > AP. The raid will buff you so much AP its the stat you add last to your gear of the 4. After getting Hit to around 300+ unbuffed, you can start planning in Expertise (40-60) and after that Armour reduction and Haste. Ive tested out alot of dagger raid specs, including most mutilate specs, and my current combat dagger is by far the best Ive had.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...00000000000000

Quote Originally Posted by Zenwen
    Ive tested out alot of dagger raid specs, including most mutilate specs, and my current combat dagger is by far the best Ive had.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...00000000000000
    3/3 ruthlessness & 1/5 Lethality > 2/3 ruthlessness & 2/5 Lethality.

And you're wrong with your statfocus. 30 haste rating is better then 15 hit rating, no matter if you are at 300 or at 100 hit rating. Same goes for ap, armor pen, expertise, agi, crit, whatever. There is NO stat minimum you need before you could consider other stats. (except maybe hitcap for yellow dmg, which you got anyways through precision. :< )
    If item A got way superior stats then Item B it will improve your dps, even if you drop 30 hit.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Thanks bbr, great game!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenwen
    1. Atm I belive hunters top most overall raid meters at my level (T5 moving into T6 gear), unless in Hyjall. However on boss fights you will often see other classes than hunters topping the meters. All DPS classes are needed, raid balance, groups setups and buffs will allways be more important than 1 specific class.
    Just to go further on this. (unless Hyjal) Hunter should always be top on overall DPS. Or they're slacking. The hunter is the easiest to switch targets and start nuking. Include Dash with that. On bosses they'll be often blown away by 2k+dps locks,rogues and mages.
    Best grp for short fights and trash BM Hunter x4 + 1 Feral.
    Best grp for long fights BM Hunter x4 + Shadow Priest/Enhancement Shaman.
    One Survival hunter can always be in the raid and in that group if there aren't 4 BMs. But if there ARE 4 BMs put the Surv hunter in another group. His damage will never get to the BMs (even in their group) but he can always give them his awesome blessing of Moar Dmg.