Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: World Wide Invitational - Day 2 Panels

the picture on the left bottom looks like D-Day in normandy :>

PvP rewards won't be changed, you will still be able to get some of the best item for some slots from the honor system, and the 5-part set from the Arenas.
    I like about everything else I heard except this.

No I don't want easy, free purples, what worries is me is Lake Wintergrasp. They really really REALLY need to realize that player activity is generally reward driven. No matter how fun they make LWG (which it definitely sound like is), if it does not offer competitive, time-efficient reward, players won't participate.

Quote Originally Posted by huth
    Well, there is nothing random about Orgrimmar Arena, all elements there are supposed to be rather predictable.

In Dalaran Arena you're probably best of with accounting for the water stream as being permanently there.

Besides, everything being completely predictable would be rather boring, and it takes little skill to excel in a completely predictable situation.
    Predictable in the fact that you know it's going to happen, but if the timers are random rather than in 30 second intervals, it will be random in application and such that your strategy has to be changed on the fly. We don't have alot of information but let me give you a possible scenario.

Let's assume the spike take say 5-10 seconds to come up and there will be some type of buzzer or the gears are loud or something to signify them rising.

If the spikes create some type of dynamic LOS and say they stay up for 20 seconds.

The buzzer goes off and you have 10 seconds to cross the barrier and you see that their healer is behind the pillar ooc and drinking. If you are a rogue you blind your focus, dash to the healer, vanish, sap the healer, SS back to your target and start your rotation. You now have at least 20 seconds of healer LOS and unfortunately that's all you really need as a rogue in their current form,

OR

The pillar is down and the spikes are about to come up. 2 seconds until the spikes pop, you blind the healer, vanish, start your rotation on the DPS. Same idea but different application.
    BAMF.

Quote Originally Posted by archanfel
    I like about everything else I heard except this.

No I don't want easy, free purples, what worries is me is Lake Wintergrasp. They really really REALLY need to realize that player activity is generally reward driven. No matter how fun they make LWG (which it definitely sound like is), if it does not offer competitive, time-efficient reward, players won't participate.
    Exactly what I was thinking. They can make Lake Wintergrasp the best PvP experience ever, but if there's no real reward (and the Spirit Shards do not count as rewards), then after maybe a week no one will participate anymore. It'll be more useless than Halaa.

Other than that, they're adding what, 1 new battleground and 2 new Arenas? After a month they'll be old and boring again, and us PvP'ers will have to wait another 2 years for any new PvP content. Arena Seasons are not content, they're filler and time-wasters that mask the reality that Blizzard isn't going to give us anything new.

I'm sorry, but if Blizz wants to keep any PvP'ers playing this game after Warhammer comes out, they're going to have to seriously start reconsidering their options. I'd be perfectly happy if they just devote themselves to a PvE game. But don't string players along and try to milk every last dollar out of them by deceiving them for another 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Richtea
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Raids & Dungeons[*]Some dungeons were too long in Burning Crusade and completing a dungeon shouldn't take more than an hour.
    Really depressing news, more catering to the mindless, attention-deficit-children of the console market.
    Best pre-TBC instances by far were BRD and BRS.

You'd have a really hard time describing anything in TBC as "too long" (except BT...) but apparently the 1 hour 5 minutes some dungeons take (if you wipe a lot...) is now too much.
    yeah dude, screw you. i get home every night around 8pm. and i'd like to play for an hour or two sometime before 10:30 when i pass out of being tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Nystul
    yeah dude, screw you. i get home every night around 8pm. and i'd like to play for an hour or two sometime before 10:30 when i pass out of being tired.
    My commiserations, clearly I wasn't thinking of people whose entire lives consist of nothing but work, WoW and sleep. How could I have missed those people who have failed so badly at their lives that they work 18 hours a day, play WoW for 2 hours and sleep the remaining 4...
    I dread to imagine how you ever find time to post on a web forum, but clearly you have a spare few mins to do so.

You like short instances, instant gratification, reward for little or no effort? I'm glad for you, there has been an entire WoW expansion aimed at you, an entire new mini-game within WoW created for you and about 5 new games a week churned out from second-rate, corporate driven games developers available for you to play for 5 days before trading them in for next week's editions.

Shock horror, some people could have different opinions to you; some people may manage their time better than you; some people may look for a more engaging, challenging game experience than you.

Some people, namely me, were hoping that there would be some "epic" feeling dungeon in the expansion, that would keep you coming back to it again and again, to attack a different part of it each time in short bursts, or to grind through the entire dungeon start to finish and reap the rewards both emotional and tangible from successfully completing such a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena
    Well, seeing as this site pretty much concentrates on WoW, Not here
    Well then it never should have mentioned the Diablo 3 announcement and posted all of those screenshots and videos. :P

Quote Originally Posted by tarutaru

Other than that, they're adding what, 1 new battleground and 2 new Arenas? After a month they'll be old and boring again, and us PvP'ers will have to wait another 2 years for any new PvP content. Arena Seasons are not content, they're filler and time-wasters that mask the reality that Blizzard isn't going to give us anything new.

I'm sorry, but if Blizz wants to keep any PvP'ers playing this game after Warhammer comes out, they're going to have to seriously start reconsidering their options. I'd be perfectly happy if they just devote themselves to a PvE game. But don't string players along and try to milk every last dollar out of them by deceiving them for another 2 years.
    They're not making a PVP game so whatever they pull out of their ass for content will never be enough for a PVP only player. So 2years is too long, and apparently after 1 month it will get old. So if they invested time to create another BG to introduce mid cycle it still wouldn't be enough for the folks that want to not have anything to do with the PVE game anyway. Losing the player to Warhammer is not a bad thing, I'd consider the player being a fool and playing a game they don't enjoy a nice bonus to the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorBID
    Well then it never should have mentioned the Diablo 3 announcement and posted all of those screenshots and videos. :P
    By that logic, the official WoW site shouldn't have posted that Diablo 3 banner.

New game announcements are kinda big, no?

My commiserations, clearly I wasn't thinking of people whose entire lives consist of nothing but work, WoW and sleep. How could I have missed those people who have failed so badly at their lives that they work 18 hours a day, play WoW for 2 hours and sleep the remaining 4...
    I dread to imagine how you ever find time to post on a web forum, but clearly you have a spare few mins to do so.

You like short instances, instant gratification, reward for little or no effort? I'm glad for you, there has been an entire WoW expansion aimed at you, an entire new mini-game within WoW created for you and about 5 new games a week churned out from second-rate, corporate driven games developers available for you to play for 5 days before trading them in for next week's editions.

Shock horror, some people could have different opinions to you; some people may manage their time better than you; some people may look for a more engaging, challenging game experience than you.

Some people, namely me, were hoping that there would be some "epic" feeling dungeon in the expansion, that would keep you coming back to it again and again, to attack a different part of it each time in short bursts, or to grind through the entire dungeon start to finish and reap the rewards both emotional and tangible from successfully completing such a feat.
    You, sir, are a giant douche.

A majority of the people who play this game have real life commitments, relationships (children, jobs, pets, hobbies) that we enjoy just as much, if not moreso, than WoW. This game has more subscribers who use it as an additional source of entertainment rather than a primary or sole source.

But to insinuate that one's lack of time management skills is to blame for some not having the time to enjoy the dungeons the way you do, rather than their time limitations stemming from the fact that they have their priorities in order, is fucking ignorant.

the crowd at the lv76etc concert is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by DKaizerX
    By that logic, the official WoW site shouldn't have posted that Diablo 3 banner.

New game announcements are kinda big, no?
    My point exactly. The entire convention is pretty big for the whole fan base, regardless of the game discussed.

Instances are 1 hour long. Raids will most likely be longer.
    He probably starts work at around 10 or 11 and has other commitments until he gets home at 8 and plays what he can for 2 hours because his life is boring for the 2 hours before he passes out from exhaustion. But you, feel that for him to get anywhere he has to work for 6 hours at a time and get lost in the crappiest, longest, most boring dungeon that was never revisited by your main unless you were helping your friends. But in order to be epic something has to be big, great grade two mentality.

Perhaps to make you happier we can just increase the number of possible drops to 25 so that you have a 4% chance to get what you want. There's your accomplishment. Shock and horror aside, you sir are against the bell curve in the 2% of people who feel this strongly and Blizzards aware. But 75% of the popularity is going to be for it, Blizzard knows what they are doing and that is why your never going to make it in video game design.

What I want to know is why someone who plays 10 hours in a block once a week should get more than a person who spends 2 hours every night for a week because of current designs.

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorBID
    My point exactly. The entire convention is pretty big for the whole fan base, regardless of the game discussed.
    I was talking about Bobou posting things related to Diablo 3, not the con.

Raids & Dungeons[*]Some dungeons were too long in Burning Crusade and completing a dungeon shouldn't take more than an hour.
    Really depressing news, more catering to the mindless, attention-deficit-children of the console market.

You'd have a really hard time describing anything in TBC as "too long" (except BT...) but apparently the 1 hour 5 minutes some dungeons take (if you wipe a lot...) is now too much.
    That was kinda what I was thinking also.

Quote Originally Posted by tarutaru
    Exactly what I was thinking. They can make Lake Wintergrasp the best PvP experience ever, but if there's no real reward (and the Spirit Shards do not count as rewards), then after maybe a week no one will participate anymore. It'll be more useless than Halaa.

Seriously who really plays WoW for it's PvP? It's a joke all around (since its a PvE game), would rather play a skill based AoC PvP even though that game is tera-bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlegapparel
    uh, no, now you cater for people who have jobs, and are students, and like to go out at night, you know with friends, do something other than play wow, you know... have a life
    Aw, the same old tired defense thats a load of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Malicoire
    You, sir, are a giant douche.

A majority of the people who play this game have real life commitments, relationships (children, jobs, pets, hobbies) that we enjoy just as much, if not moreso, than WoW. This game has more subscribers who use it as an additional source of entertainment rather than a primary or sole source.

But to insinuate that one's lack of time management skills is to blame for some not having the time to enjoy the dungeons the way you do, rather than their time limitations stemming from the fact that they have their priorities in order, is fucking ignorant.
    And you sir are an advertisement for contraception.

In case you didn't notice (your reading skills are clearly sub-par), I was commenting about the trend in TBC to shorten the dungeon length, and the alarming news that even the "popcorn" instances in TBC were viewed by blizzard as too long and too hard. Their proposal that they would shorten instances even more was dismaying and I voiced that dismay.
    The moron too whom I replied took this as a personal attack and had replied to my first post with "screw you", I feel I was well within my rights to respond with exactly the same playground mentality, I don't feel the need to take any kind of moral high ground when surrounded by such people.

You on the other hand clearly haven't read or followed the thread, else you wouldn't be making an arse out of yourself in such a way by siding with the first fellow to bring the thread to school-yard levels.

As I said in my second post, I'm glad he has had his personal tastes and likes catered too, god forbid that someone else, with slightly different expectations who had had them fulfilled previously (pre-TBC and to a lesser extent TBC) might expect similar treatment to the goldfish-like-attention-span-afflicted masses who seem to be the majority of WoW players now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nystul
    yeah dude, screw you. i get home every night around 8pm. and I'd like to play for an hour or two sometime before 10:30 when i pass out of being tired.
    Then your couple hours of tired playing should reflect what you have in game. Everyone keeps saying that they have lives and things to do all the time, but complain that instances are too long. Well if you have just little time to play then you don't deserve the same rewards as the players with more time, and even players with more skill.

But, then again, I think they should have dungeons where they are short to complete, but there will be various ways to go deeper into the instance for a longer and more challenging run that is not required to get to the last boss, but will reap better rewards.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=15172.msg239063#msg239063

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=15061.0

Just before TBC came along, my guildies and I decided to do UBRS for sh*ts and giggles. My GOTW ran out just after we cleared Drakki's room- I remember being p'd off because I had to use reagents to cast it again just for Drakki. That means we cleared in just a shade over 1 hour. I had 2 pieces of T2, none of us had cleared a boss in Naxx.

Admittedly BRD was longer, but how many people went for a full BRD clear vs UBRS? The fact is, people prefer short sharp instances, particularly if you're doing them in PUGs- the only time UBRS ever took longer than an hour and half was when you were in there with a bunch of PUG nubs. And when you do realise halfway through an instance that you're with a bunch of idiots and you don't stand a chance of killing Drakki, I'd sure as hell rather be half way through an hour long one than half way through a 3 hour one...

And people DO have other commitments. The fact that you clearly don't does not give you the right to condescend to those that do. If you want a long, immersive lore-filled experience you'll have ample opportunity with either 10 or 25 man content- that's what it's there for. Blizzard provides opportunities for all play styles, whining that 1 out of the 3 doesn't cater to your needs (while 2 do, and arguably 3 with heroics), is just being bratty. Just relax and give everybody a chance to enjoy the game the way they want to.

"This is also an attack/defend game type battleground."

damn, i wanted at new av-kinda bg. With bosses and stuff like :-* :-* :-*
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Worgens for Alliance, Goblins for Horde.

I'll run naked in the streets of Paris and post the video on the front page if I'm wrong.

I thought so too after seeing this first at the presentation