Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...

Re: Flash of Light nerfed?

Quote Originally Posted by Iselian
    So let the druid cast nourish. Let the priests and shaman continue to AoE heal. In raids, get Sheath of Light (48/0/23 anyone?) and watch while a downranked FoL and HL keep the tank alive forever.
    Good luck downranking both of these spells when they already heal for garbage at 77. I love seeing my Rank 7 Flash of Light doing less healing than it did in Vanilla WOW.

What's that? 5mans won't have druids and priests and shaman to cover the AoE healing? Somehow, when healadins got through TBC well enough, I think they'll be able to make it through WotLK instances well enough.
    I'm pretty sure most healers never had any trouble doing any 5-man in the past. Well, minus Paladin in Heroic Magister's Terrace where it shows their lack of power against AOE damage even more.

Downranking is no longer possible in Wrath, it was changed dramatically...i've already tested downranks at 70 in WOTLK on my pally and they do exactly what the tooltip says i.e. Flash of Light Rank 3 - Heals for 153 - 171 ....it does exactly that, no + spellpower factored in.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko
    Downranking is no longer possible in Wrath, it was changed dramatically...i've already tested downranks at 70 in WOTLK on my pally and they do exactly what the tooltip says i.e. Flash of Light Rank 3 - Heals for 153 - 171 ....it does exactly that, no + spellpower factored in.
    Well, that kinda sucks. In all honesty I was hoping that down ranking would be the saviour here, but it seems not anymore. Seriously, if you look at the current rank of Flash of Light we have at level 70, and compare the way it scales upwards, the extra healing it gives is... well... really bad for the dramatic increase in mana cost.

Flash of Light (Rank 7)
    Heals a friendly target for 588 to 658.
    (180 Mana, 1.5 sec Cast, 40 yd Range)

Flash of Light (Rank 9)
    Heals a friendly target for 785 to 879.
    (420 Mana, 1.5 sec Cast, 40 yd Range)

That's a 240 mana increase, for a 194 - 197 healing increase... Is it really worth it? You decide.

Being mana efficient healers was really the only thing keeping us alive as healers in encounters, now most other classes can do a better job than any of our heals. Sure, maybe it is too early to complain about it, but if we say nothing then it won't get looked at, at all.

As for Beacon of Light, I think that it is a terrible excuse for an AoE heal really.. When I first saw it I noticed that the mana cost was insanely high for what it actually healed for, and I was hoping that it would have some super co-efficient built into it that made it heal for a lot more than what it says in the tool tip. I think it's a terribly mana inefficient healing spell for what it does and the healing it gives. Even the range on it is appaulingly bad to really be any good unless everyone is bunched up in a huge mass.

It's really not going to be a big deal, judging by the level 80 gear (saw a level 80 blue with 70 intellect on it) we're going to have around a 20k mana pool and probably closer to 25k end game. That included with all the new ways for us returning mana (divine plea, buffed wisdom judgments, etc.) and the increase to mana return as a utility for different classes (mages, hunters) I don't see us having a problem with mana.

As far as Beacon of Light goes, Blizz already confirmed it was not yet complete and that it was to be changed in an upcoming build. My guess is they are going to make it a direct heal with an aoe hot effect afterwards, this way they can add Beacon of Light to the Illumination talent and then...it would be perfect for us paladins.

So in the latest build it seems they've changed the mana cost of everything to be in terms of base mana. If you look at FoL, the base mana cost is 7% for every rank now. Based on this, it basically seems theres nothing to worry about! It looked worse based on pure mana usage, but if they're all the same base mana and every rank increases by about the same amount of +heals.... it 'appears' as if our base mana will be increasing a lot in WoTK if we compare the base mana costs vs. the actual mana cost of rank 8-9 FoL.

Thats what I think.

Base mana usually is pretty linear all the way down from lvl 1 to lvl 70. So i would be suprised if it would take huge leap all suddent.

Well yeah ok, that could work just as well, but it still means that FoL has not been nerfed like a mofo

Quote Originally Posted by meroko
    It's really not going to be a big deal, judging by the level 80 gear (saw a level 80 blue with 70 intellect on it) we're going to have around a 20k mana pool and probably closer to 25k end game. That included with all the new ways for us returning mana (divine plea, buffed wisdom judgments, etc.) and the increase to mana return as a utility for different classes (mages, hunters) I don't see us having a problem with mana.
    The point of Flash of Light is that it was a smaller, yet very mana efficient heal compared to other heals.

For example... What it used to be

Paladin
    Flash of Light Rank 7
    180 Mana 40 yd range
    1.5 sec cast
    Heals a friendly target for 448 to 502.

Priest
    Flash Heal Rank 9
    470 Mana 40 yd range
    1.5 sec cast
    Heals a friendly target for 1101 to 1279.

------

The Paladin's Flash of Light, is used to be small heals that heal a target in-between the Main Healers', bigger heals, hence so it's spammable, with a low mana cost and decent healing to keep the target alive long enough for the large heal to heal the target back up again. Due to Paladin's lack of mana regen mechanics their mana efficient heal, combined with Illumination gave them the ability to heal well in raids, but if a paladin was to spam Holy Light to heal a target, then their mana efficiency is ruined, and once a paladin is out of mana they don't really have any way to be able to get it back.

Maybe now with the new mana regen mechanics they won't burn their mana out totally, but why take a paladin to heal with "mana efficient heals" when you can just take a priest, who'se "flash heal" healing is now more mana efficient per point of healing and heals for more?