Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The new mage talents

http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?mage

What do we all think then?

Personally I'm happy with a lot of the fire talent changes, although Living Bomb still needs a lot of work.
    The change to Pyroblast and Fiery Payback are pretty odd ... Burnout (whilst still having a negative effect) is certainly better than what it was before.

Also enjoying the extra buff on Improved Scorch and Burning Determination will be great for PvP!

Things are starting to look up!

Re: The new mage talents

frost looks pretty bomb to me, can't wait for some more pvp.

As for fire, again a lot of AOE bs talents, Fiery Payback looks interesting, I would hope that the reduced pyroblast cast would work for a lil bit even if your toped off after the 35%, otherwise i don't think a mage should sit at 35% for too long :O
    In my imagination, so far teh fire tree dosen't have anything "omg op". It's either give us to be the top casters, or give us something to bring to the raid =[ Even tho, now we buff the fire locks tho? =o

Deleted

Imo it is going for better way (finally) arcane didnt get any big changes, exept that small cool talent focus magic. cant wait to use it or so

Fire really really big changes and I think they are good also burning determation will be killer in Pvp

and in frost, Ice barrier will be bomber, after breaking it frost nova, will be cool. (beware warriors and rogues  :P )
    and Brain freeze will be intresting, gonna mix up Pvp builds

I didint have opportunity to play beta or alpha to test new talents
    but I am existed about having instant spell,pyroblast and ice barrier
    I am crazy as my mouse
    http://www.staples.com/sbd/img/cat/std/s0123780_std.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tranmet
    Imo it is going for better way (finally) arcane didnt get any big changes, exept that small cool talent focus magic. cant wait to use it or so
    Actually, arcane got some nice little tweaks (if the numbers are correct...)
    - Arcane Sublety 2pt - 30% dispel resistance (instead of 10 spell penetration)
    - Arcane Fortitude 3pt - 150% int -> armor ... decent tier 2 (wohooo! wand spec is gone!)
    - Magic Attunement 2pt - saving 3 points, max 2% refund
    - Focus Mind - new
    - Arcane Shielding 2pt - 50% resi gain from mage armor (+ imp. mana shield)
    - Arcane Potency 2 pt - saving 1 point
    - Arcane Empowerment 3pt - mana flaw gone, +9% arcane blast dmg
    - nerf: missile barrage: now 2.5s (instead of 1.5s)

greetings

edit:
    - Arcane Flows 2pt - now 2 ranks: reducing CDs by 60s

Quote Originally Posted by Flipip
    Also enjoying the extra buff on Improved Scorch and Burning Determination will be great for PvP!
    It may be bringing in more spell schools, but it's also decreasing the damage buff. Currently the 5 stacks mean 15% more damage done, the 5x2 mean only 10, and across 3 schools which with the exception of Focus magic, won't bring Fire anything.
    If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Water is Life

and to complete it... (and if someone misses something...)

fire
    - Improved Fire Blast 2pt - moved to tier 1, saving 1 point, decreasing cd by 2s (instead of 1.5s)
    - Incineration 3pt - moved to tier 1, added 1pt (6% crit instead of 4%), affects arcane blast & CoC
    - Burning Determination 2pt - new tier 2, 100% chance @ silence/interrupt to become immune
    - World in Flames 3pt - revamp tier 2, 6% crit to flamestrike, blast wave, dragon's breath, living bomb, blizzard, arcane exp
    - Impact - moved to tier 3
    - Improved Scorch - now affects fire, frost and arcane (but only 2% per scorch, max 10%)
    - Fiery Payback 2pt - revamp, reducing dmg by 20% when below 35% hp and reducing pyro casttime by 3.5s
    - Empowered Fireball 3pt - saving 2 points
    - Firestarter 3pt - new, 45% chance on blast wave/dragon's breath to make flamestrike instant
    - Burnout - costs additional 1% of spell cost (instead of total mana)
    - Living Bomb - dmg increase? + mana burn

frost
    btw, Arctic Reach - Ice Lance is listed here
    - Shatter Barrier 2pt - new, frost nova when ice barrier breaks
    - Finger of Death - winters graps revamp, 10% on frost dmg to apply FoD (treats target as frozen)
    - Brain Freeze - revamp, 15% chance on Frost dmg to make fireball instant and mana free
    - Deep Freeze - added ~1.5k dmg

hope, it's almost complete...

edit:
    - Pyroblast - now 5s cast
    - Blast wave - +knock back effect

Guessing it's too much to ask for that Fiery Payback affect on Pyro requires us to be near dead :
    If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Water is Life

IMPROVED SCORCH NERFED ----- WTF

So blizzard know we have problems in damage so .. it nerfs us 5% on fire gg tkx blizzard

Hmmm, Blast Wave has a knockback effect now?

I just wanted to add a note for the Magic Absorption now being a two-point talent.

Rank 1 : "Increases all resistances by .5 per level and causes all spells you fully resist to restore 1% of your total mana. 1 sec cooldown. "

Rank 2 : "Increases all resistances by 1 per level and causes all spells you fully resist to restore 2% of your total mana. 1 sec cooldown. "

I personally prefered it before, when you would get 5% of your total mana restored. Not quite sure if it being a two-point talent will make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norroar

I personally prefered it before, when you would get 5% of your total mana restored. Not quite sure if it being a two-point talent will make up for it.
    i like this change, saves 3 points for virtually the same effect. mana/intellect is so much stronger in wolk, and as arcane spec you pretty much have 60% mana regen... mana wont be an issue, saving 3 points is nice

Think of it like this, if there was now a talent that increases your max mana by 1/2/3% everytime u absorbed, 3 pointer, just sitting there to the side now, would you get it? Chances are no.
    [Quit All Games in 2010] [Never coming back!]
    [Too busy working and having a life] [It's been fun, Later!]

now mage talants seem nice =)

Arcane Blast is also supposively getting changed.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=42897#comments

Quote Originally Posted by jizziee
    now mage talants seem nice =)
    Arcane is getting some amazing buffs, I'll actually level as arcane most likely now... Frost is improving at a regular pace, not amazing but not crappy...

Fire however, I still have my doubts.
    It isn't really great for pvp, and now really isnt great for raiding or even small pve..

it seems the fire spec is being more designed to solo-grinding and solo-aoe grinding, and even there its not as survivable or mana efficient as frost or arcane.

So for now, i do love arcane and frost talents, and the first few changes to the fire trees.... but i still think the ending fire talents (especially this living bomb crap) is bs. The AoE for living fire is trying to make it decent in arena, and it is... but even then no mage will really go fire for the arena these days, as amazing as it is, as long as resilience exists, fire will be dead to arena and the skilled pvp areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshya
    Arcane Blast is also supposively getting changed.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=42897#comments
    WELL, that settles it then!

ARCANE = New PvE SPEC

With that change, it solves all arcane rotation issues to being full out arcane. Woo Hoo!
    [Quit All Games in 2010] [Never coming back!]
    [Too busy working and having a life] [It's been fun, Later!]

Arcane looks awesome as hell now.

Deleted

Yes it does, I just wonder should I go with my mage arca/fire or arca frost. :P

Edit: meaby fire build like http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50320122501351?
    or frost build like http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50320122501351?

Imo I would prefer fire tree, not sure tho

imo
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...00000000000000

scorchx5 frost fire bolt till brain freeze procs then insta fireball

looks like it will pwn ';]

or arcane infinite mana :O
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50320122500351

i like this change, saves 3 points for virtually the same effect. mana/intellect is so much stronger in wolk, and as arcane spec you pretty much have 60% mana regen... mana wont be an issue, saving 3 points is nice

Think of it like this, if there was now a talent that increases your max mana by 1/2/3% everytime u absorbed, 3 pointer, just sitting there to the side now, would you get it? Chances are no.
    Yes, you might have a point there. Although currently you can easily obtain an amount of 10.000 mana, and by the look of the new items being added to Wrath of the Lich King, you will reach atleast ~16.000 mana. Most likely more.

Now let's assume you use http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50323122500351 as a talent choice, with three points left. Either of these could go to our fictional talent called "Improved Magic Absorption" improving your Magic Absorption with additional 3% to what it does ( 5% total ). OR you could put these three points into Student of the Mind and get 10% more Spirit.

We are basing this off 16.000 mana with our fictional talent Improved Magic Absorption.
    Since you obviously have Magic Absorption giving you 80 points to all resistances, and with Mage Armor another 40. So we're at 120 to all our resistances. Not sure how this will scale at level 80, but it will help.

If you now resist a spell with the Improved Magic Absorption you will get 800 mana back, where you would only get 360 without it.

Not quite sure on how much more Spirit will we gain in Wrath of the Lich King or how many spells the boss' will be casting at us, but I would diffently choose to spend these three points in Improved Magic Absorption over 10% more Spirit off the talent Student of the Mind.

I do not know how much this is incorrect, and I wouldn't go any further into it as I suck at theorycrafting ... but I believe it is a nerf to Magic Absorption.

---

WELL, that settles it then!

ARCANE = New PvE SPEC

With that change, it solves all arcane rotation issues to being full out arcane. Woo Hoo!
    How would this rotation be? With the previous Arcane Blast I'd go with something like ...
    Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Barrage, Arcane Blast.

Now if you proc the talent Missile Barrage under your Arcane Blasts it could go like this ...
    Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcaneblast, Arcane Missiles(2.5), Arcane Missiles, Arcane Blast.

I do not understand how the rotation would be with the new Arcane Blast though.

//Norroar

Arcane Barrage if it's up, AB if it's not, AM on procs.