Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Elimination of spell damage from tanking?

I just looked at the spell updates, and it seems all of our abilities now scale off of attack power, even Seal of Righteousness. Comine this with the fact the Hammer of the Righteous, and Shield of the Righteous, both are now "High aggro" and both recieve the biggest threat bonus from stacking strength.

Are we soon going to recieve an update implying no need for spell damage at all?

I do not mean we wont need spell damage gear, this is obvious!

Re: Elimination of spell damage from tanking?

Paladins are also getting the Protection talent "Touched by the light" which increases your spellpower by 10/20/30% of your total stamina as well as increasing critical heal amount by 30%, further negating the need for spell damage on paladin tanking gear

Blizz already made an announcement iirc about prot pallies no longer being forced to stack spellpower for tanking, and it seems like they weren't kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SbEguy
    Paladins are also getting the Protection talent "Touched by the light" which increases your spellpower by 10/20/30% of your total stamina as well as increasing critical heal amount by 30%, further negating the need for spell damage on paladin tanking gear

Blizz already made an announcement iirc about prot pallies no longer being forced to stack spellpower for tanking, and it seems like they weren't kidding
    I know, this has been posted to death. The point I was making was that many of our spells are not even using spell coefficients anymore.

Str for the bread-and-butter, focused threat gen abilities.
    Stam to SP for more situational or purely "spell-like" abilities.

Yeah, I'd take that to mean no need for stacking SP gear whatsoever. Nice confirmation of what's been theorized thus far :-D
    Wow Forum accomplishment: autobanned for using the following phrase:
    My therapist notes my intrapersonal skills suffer from love of the grape.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt
    Str for the bread-and-butter, focused threat gen abilities.
    Stam to SP for more situational or purely "spell-like" abilities.

Yeah, I'd take that to mean no need for stacking SP gear whatsoever. Nice confirmation of what's been theorized thus far :-D
    I'm not talking about gear. Our "spell like" abilities, all have attack power coefficients now, not spell damage. I dont know if this means the spell damage coefficients are simply not listed anymore, or if they really just dont scale with spell power.

I do not mean we wont need spell damage gear, this is obvious!

Obvious enough? ;D

YES, THAT IS UNDERSTOOD. READ THE REST OF THE POST AND CONSIDER READING BETWEEN THE LINES.

If MOST (note, not all) of our tanking abilities scale off AP instead of SP this synergizes with the increased tank utility of the Strength stat through the better BV ratios. These new AP based coefficients DO seem to be in place, further backing the trends in itemization implicit in the rest of the Protection tree, the other tank classes, and gear design as a whole. So far I'm only seeing them applied to "weapon and shield" abilities. Consecrate, for example, seems to retain its earlier SP based coefficients, hence retention of sp returns from stam.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt
    YES, THAT IS UNDERSTOOD. READ THE REST OF THE POST AND CONSIDER READING BETWEEN THE LINES.

If MOST (note, not all) of our tanking abilities scale off AP instead of SP this synergizes with the increased tank utility of the Strength stat through the better BV ratios. These new AP based coefficients DO seem to be in place, further backing the trends in itemization implicit in the rest of the Protection tree, the other tank classes, and gear design as a whole. So far I'm only seeing them applied to "weapon and shield" abilities. Consecrate, for example, seems to retain its earlier SP based coefficients, hence retention of sp returns from stam.
    It is listed with an AP coefficient now. So my question is; do they scale off both now, and the SP coefficient is simply not listed?

if they now take away all SP coefficients from all damage giving abilitys will it even be possble to do quests alone as holy? holydins only dps would be holy shock every 6 sec, what did blizzard have in mind....

if they remove sp coefficent from all our skills, (the only damage skill which scales whit sp is holy shock )
    - the prot talent "touched by the light" is useless... at the moment divine strenght is better
    - holy pally will be the only healer class which doesn't gain benefit from the spell power issue (except form holy shock)

Quote Originally Posted by saeros
    if they remove sp coefficent from all our skills, (the only damage skill which scales whit sp is holy shock )
    - the prot talent "touched by the light" is useless... at the moment divine strenght is better
    - holy pally will be the only healer class which doesn't gain benefit from the spell power issue (except form holy shock)

'All' being all PROT abilities ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guran
    'All' being all PROT abilities ofcourse.
    not only, even SoR, Consecration...

i mean all damage skill (exept for holy shock) scales with ap now

Consecration doesn't, and JoR doesn't scale with AP either.

Think of it this way guys:

Seal of Command's Judgement scales from weapon damage, attack power, and spell damage.

I'm sure that Blizzard would follow suit with this ideal for the remaining Seals in that it isn't an either or kind of thing.

I'm sure that the other Seals will have a dual scale, if not Spell Damage primarily.

All our abilties that did scale with spelldmg remain to do so with at the same rates as they used too. The only difference is that they added AP scaling too.

U keep saying that str is good for prot pallies, but in my opinion we don't need it. I'd rather see stam+straight up block value on my gear. As our spelldmg scales with our stamina it should be very well possible for us to keep up with the dps (tps-wise). Also I find ShoR much more amazing tps wise than HotR.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Quote Originally Posted by zox
    All our abilties that did scale with spelldmg remain to do so with at the same rates as they used too. The only difference is that they added AP scaling too.

U keep saying that str is good for prot pallies, but in my opinion we don't need it. I'd rather see stam+straight up block value on my gear. As our spelldmg scales with our stamina it should be very well possible for us to keep up with the dps (tps-wise). Also I find ShoR much more amazing tps wise than HotR.
    But doesnt STR raise BV? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkadin
    But doesnt STR raise BV? lol
    To an extremely small extent, yes; but so the increase is so minuscule that the effect of having 500 Strength would be worse than having +50 Block Value on a piece of gear. They might be increasing the effect that Strength has on Block Value though, that way it would start to work as intended from the start, Strength being a double-use stat of mitigation and threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Biral
    To an extremely small extent, yes; but so the increase is so minuscule that the effect of having 500 Strength would be worse than having +50 Block Value on a piece of gear. They might be increasing the effect that Strength has on Block Value though, that way it would start to work as intended from the start, Strength being a double-use stat of mitigation and threat.
    Thx for clarifying. I have never tanked. Was curious.

I'm not sure how much of the forums u have read and i havent been in the beta to try it yet, but from what i have read, they changed the BV from Str to a 2str:1BV so 500 str would give u 250 BV plus the AP for your attacks that u would be using tanking. Also your SoR has both AP and SP coefficients if u look at the spell description so getting the SP from ur stam and the AP from your Str will both increase the amount of dmg/threat that you produce while tanking. the things that will use SP solely would by your holy shield and consecration. Basically pallys and warriors will be going for the same gear basically like the other classes with the changes to SP and making your talents specialize the gear vice the gear itself being specialized for a specific class. Hope this helps some

Quote Originally Posted by Biral
    500 Str = 250 BV in WotLK currently.

OR

I could just finish reading the whole damn thread before posting like a jack ass =D

Please, please, PLEASE make sure your information is current before "helping".