Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bypass 50% dmg reduction

This talent will NOT bypass resilience, it only states that it bypasses 50% of dmg reduction effects, not stats. Am I correct on this?

Re: Bypass 50% dmg reduction

If the tooltip wording is correct, and it is implemented correctly, then it will bypass 50% of the resilience crit damage reduction.

Those are 2 big assumptions though, and I am not sure how it's working now, I would test it out but I'm not in beta =/

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpaq777
    If the tooltip wording is correct, and it is implemented correctly, then it will bypass 50% of the resilience crit damage reduction.

Those are 2 big assumptions though, and I am not sure how it's working now, I would test it out but I'm not in beta =/
    See, I would agree with you. But then this would also mean that it would bypass 50% of the targets armor. And I seriously doubt that will happen.

We know from testing that Sanctified Wrath does lower a players total armorvalue, even while this is not consindered to be an effect.

So it's still pretty unclear if it does, or does not reduce the damage reduction gained by Resilience but in theory it should.

Hopefully Blizzard will clear up the vague wording with an upcoming patch.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

It would certainly be foolish, if it did not bypass all Damage Mitigation, and only a select few.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    See, I would agree with you. But then this would also mean that it would bypass 50% of the targets armor. And I seriously doubt that will happen.
    I thought 50% armor bypassing was a given...

Has anyone on beta tested this?

Given the design intent, inferred from the wording and the talent itself (as well as the action of making Avenging Wrath not trigger Forbearance), the 50% damage bypass would function like Chaos Bolt.

Paladin crits a target for 6000 damage(unmitigated). The target has enough resilience to reduce the effects of critical strike damage by 25%. The target has enough armor to reduce physical damage by 25%.

6000/2= 3000

3000 damage is mitigated, 3000 damage is not mitigated.

3000*.75*.75=1687.5

1687.5 damage after mitigation + 3000 unmitigated damage= 4687.5 damage

From 6000 base damage before mitigation to 4687.5 damage.

The damage caused without this talent would amount to 3375 if just taking armor and resilience into account.

This said, the talent would have a lot more use on a target with high armor (Plate wearers and Feral Druids)

ikillbigppl

Quote Originally Posted by Biral
    Given the design intent, inferred from the wording and the talent itself (as well as the action of making Avenging Wrath not trigger Forbearance), the 50% damage bypass would function like Chaos Bolt.

Paladin crits a target for 6000 damage(unmitigated). The target has enough resilience to reduce the effects of critical strike damage by 25%. The target has enough armor to reduce physical damage by 25%.

6000/2= 3000

3000 damage is mitigated, 3000 damage is not mitigated.

3000*.75*.75=1687.5

1687.5 damage after mitigation + 3000 unmitigated damage= 4687.5 damage

From 6000 base damage before mitigation to 4687.5 damage.

The damage caused without this talent would amount to 3375 if just taking armor and resilience into account.

This said, the talent would have a lot more use on a target with high armor (Plate wearers and Feral Druids)
    i agree... this will be used more now agenst higher armor / resill targets if it is infact able to do this rather than being no more than extra burst on clothys for high numbers

It will also be used against healers, to bypass their shields, mages who iceblock at 10% health and Warlocks who think their SL/Sl spec is going to save them.

ikillbigppl

yes but that would have to mean that it bypasses damage imunitys as well. it would be cool if it did but i dont think that will happen... but god i hope so

I don't see why It would not, if it doesn't, they need to reword it certainly, to say it only bypasses certain damage mitigations.

However, if it does not work on Iceblock, it still works on the others

I was actually doing some math on this talent and... if it works as stated, holy crap it is a MASSIVE buff and IMO mandatory talent.

Let's run some numbers with & without the talent on a warrior who has 50% (physical) damage reduction

OLD
    regular hit: 1000
    old AW: 30% increase = 1300
    armor reduction = 650 final damage

NEW
    regular hit: 1000
    new AW: 20% increase = 1200
    now divide by two
    600 -> 50% reduction = 300
    600 -> zero reduction = 600
    new total = 900 final damage

using the same math on a crit

OLD
    regular crit: 2000
    AW 30% increase = 2600
    50% armor reduction = 1300
    20% resilience reduction = 1040

NEW
    regular crit: 2000
    AW 20% increase = 2400
    now divide by two
    1200 -> 50% armor 20% resilience = 480
    1200 -> nothin touches it -> 1200
    new total = 1680

This talent is providing well over a 30% increase to your damage against plate wearers

That's some extreme burst ... gg soul link warlocks, plate wearers (including holy paladins!), frost speccing mages and priests. Before I ran these numbers, I wasn't sure if I needed to take this talent but I can see now it is a requirement for anyone who is serious about ret pvp.

Not to mention it shaved a minute off of the cooldown, making it a pretty nice choice for Raiding as well

And more crit on our Hammer of LOLWHYAREYOURUNNINGAWAYFROMAPALADIN.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    And more crit on our Hammer of LOLWHYAREYOURUNNINGAWAYFROMAPALADIN.
    LOL RAWBERRY!

you TROLL!

I think you hope too much on the words bypasses damage reduction effects.

To me that reads as things like shielding, ice barriers, mana shields, sacrificed voidwalkers. Not armor, resilience.
    The whole idea of the words seem to me it only works on effects. Ofcourse I have no idea to prove this or anything. But would it not seem a bit OP to for example ignore the 20k armor a feral druid might have for 50%?

Oh well, blizzard wants to give pala's so much love >_>

Well blizz are still in the process of balancing thngs, so it might very well work like it said atm, but ofc will be lowered later. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Xaria
    I think you hope too much on the words bypasses damage reduction effects.

To me that reads as things like shielding, ice barriers, mana shields, sacrificed voidwalkers. Not armor, resilience.
    The whole idea of the words seem to me it only works on effects. Ofcourse I have no idea to prove this or anything. But would it not seem a bit OP to for example ignore the 20k armor a feral druid might have for 50%?

Oh well, blizzard wants to give pala's so much love >_>
    ATM, from what testers have set, it by passes Armor, Resillience, and shields for certain.

Ice Block and Divine shield, are iffy, since we have to decide in our guesstimating wether a damage immunity effect is mitigation.

ikillbigppl

Quote Originally Posted by Samiel
    ATM, from what testers have set, it by passes Armor, Resillience, and shields for certain.

Ice Block and Divine shield, are iffy, since we have to decide in our guesstimating wether a damage immunity effect is mitigation.

so then it is 100% going to bypass those things? i would like to know if it bypasses ice block and devine shield. if u get an answer to that please post it.

The thing is, it's a beta, but for certain, it bypasses Damage Mitigation effects, that means shields, armor and resillience. (It will *also* mean Divine Protection, and other abilities that reduce damage by a % such as Bestial Wrath and the like.)