Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

How to fix our totems in PvP, forever

First of all, my shaman is not my main, my warrior is. However, shaman is the ONLY class I have been able to enjoy besides warrior. He is my only other 70, all other alts withered away by mid 20's :P. He is mainly enhancement, but I have done the resto thing as its the best way to get through heroic pugs. I cant comment on arena as elemental (and I doubt I'd ever spec it) but I have some experience as Enh and as Resto, nothing fancy but I hang around 1700-1800, similar to my warrior.

Now the biggest problem from a neutral standpoint IMO when it comes to totems isnt when players kill them with hamstring or icelance or other similar GCD moves. If you think rationally, they spend the same effort to kill em as we do to place em. Now that we will have physical school for totems so we can place when we get counterspelled or silenced, and 1.0 second GCD for totems this will be overall a win for us to get into totem place/destroy wars. It would be unfair for us to be able to place all four totems in one GCD since they are immune to AOE, and must be destroyed one at a time per GCD at fastest.

What the lamest thing is, in my opinion, when pet classes use macros built into their spammy spells and abilities to make their pet attack specific totems, usually tremor or grounding but my WF totem gets a lot of it too. What this means is that we must spend our effort to place totems which the enemy's pet destroys without effort or notice even from the pet owner.

How to fix this? Easy. This is not even my idea, its something from a thread on shaman forums I read months ago. Add our shaman's name to the front of all our totem names. If my shaman is named "Stimpy" (not his name) then when I drop tremor totem it would read "Stimpy's Tremor Totem <Stimpy's Creation>."

With this SIMPLE change, all pet totem attack macros will fail.

Discuss

Re: How to fix our totems in PvP, forever

Go home.

Quote Originally Posted by vanpellt
    Go home.
    Motion seconded

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

What did I do that you are replying to my post like this

Quote Originally Posted by vanpellt
    Go home.
    Way to fail at discussion.

I for one like it. And I have a Druid main. It's simple really. In the end, everyone will have to put in the exact same effort to kill totems as the next class, and at the same time, this is in no way a buff to shamans. The only ones who would really be hurt by it are those who use EZ-mode macros.

I applaud the OP in a rational, balanced, viewing of the problem with totems, and an equally rational, and balanced solution.

Bravo.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepinglamia
    Also another reason being a female is awesome. No epeens Ah not to be controlled by my own genitalia! :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Marath
    This is a good point... do you have e-bajango or e-boobie competitions in the same way?

I like that word... e-bajango

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo

I for one like it. And I have a Druid main. It's simple really. In the end, everyone will have to put in the exact same effort to kill totems as the next class, and at the same time, this is in no way a buff to shamans. The only ones who would really be hurt by it are those who use EZ-mode macros.

I applaud the OP in a rational, balanced, viewing of the problem with totems, and an equally rational, and balanced solution.

Bravo.
    thank you for replying in a non-childish manner

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=11593.105

I've looked for a moment you'd know there already is thread like that. What's more your solution to the 'problem' is also there. Aswell as many others.

Also /target tremor would still work if they'd add only our name in front.

Exact same effort?

Ranged classes are able to burst totems down with cheap rank 1 range spells whereas melee have to get in range, switch target, start autoattack (resetting swing timers) then repeat for the 3 other totems down, by the time which the shaman put down fresh totems.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Instant
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=11593.105

I've looked for a moment you'd know there already is thread like that. What's more your solution to the 'problem' is also there.

Yeah, I've seen this suggested a few times in various places. It always seemed a good idea to me, kind of surprised it hasn't gone in yet as it's such a simple fix to overriding such a core mechanic of a class.

Also, MMO Champion's community sucks absolute shit now, it may as well just be an extension of the Official forums it's moderated so poorly, so don't be surprised when you get a tidal wave of hate from the neckbeards and basement dwellers over anything trivial.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by cokane
    Exact same effort?

Ranged classes are able to burst totems down with cheap rank 1 range spells whereas melee have to get in range, switch target, start autoattack (resetting swing timers) then repeat for the 3 other totems down, by the time which the shaman put down fresh totems.
    Warriors used to be able to hamstring them... rogues can shiv

Quote Originally Posted by mrchee
    Warriors used to be able to hamstring them... rogues can shiv
    Shiv don't have a 8-40 yard range, cost 20-30% of energy (subject to offhand speed and talent) and switching target resets swing timer.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

I saw that. But that doesnt change anything Why second thread about same thing? Unless you want this one to be only about your idea. Which like i already said, wont work cause you dont have to use full name for targeting.

Also, how many teams are melee only? If you are a rogue with druid, and you're destryoing totems instead of rank 1 moonfire, then it's something bad with you. If you're a rogue with lock, and you're going for totems instead of pet there is something wrong with you, if you're a rogue with priest and you're destroying totems instead of priest's wand, then it's something wrong with you... Do i really have to keep writing?

Your partner can do killing for you if you think it's wasted GBC or a swing. But, you still CAN kill it in one shot, so when he's CC and you see mana tide not being killed by him you can go there and kill it with a fart.

I don't understand how any shaman who's serious into pvp can say it's ok...

That's why I don't even bother to take Mana Tide Totem when I respec to do some arena's. >

Quote Originally Posted by Instant
    I saw you that. But that doesnt change anything Why second thread about same thing? Unless you want this one to be only about your idea. Which like i already said, wont work cause you dont have to use full name for targeting.

Also, how many teams are melee only? If you are a rogue with druid, and you're destryoing totems instead of rank 1 moonfire, then it's something bad with you. If you're a rogue with lock, and you're going for totems instead of pet there is something wrong with you, if you're a rogue with priest and you're destroying totems instead of priest's wand, then it's something wrong with you... Do i really have to keep writing?

Your partner can do killing for you if you think it's wasted GBC or a swing. But, you still CAN kill it in one shot, so when he's CC and you see mana tide not being killed by him you can go there and kill it with a fart.

I don't understand how any shaman who's serious into pvp can say it's ok...
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by asmo

Bravo.
    Also, bad shammies then to learn how to position totems.

Also, bad shammies then to learn how to position totems.
    Warrior harmstringing your ass, going oom, where else can you drop your totems? Warrior will instantly kill them. And pet macro's ..

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

I dont see how macro that send pet for our totem is exactly same effort as changing target.

And totems position doesn't help at all in that case. What's the point for me to going out of LoS of my partner to place totem behind the pillar, so other team can't destroy it on sight?

I'm a goddamn totem caster i want to rely on my goddamn totems as much as druids rely on their shapeshifting, and there is nothing wrong or 'L2P' with that. Maybe the reason why you say that is cause you've never met good enough team that keep your totems down.

Quote Originally Posted by Romario
    Warrior harmstringing your ass, going oom, where else can you drop your totems? Warrior will instantly kill them. And pet macro's ..
    BEM: under the bridge in BEM, you and the dps class still get the buffs on top of the bridge and pets are unable to jump off, adding quite a bit of lifetime to the totems.

Lodaeron: on TOP of the tomb, that piece of shit has huge LOS bugs.

Nagrand: probably the hardest to position your totems but lay them down on the opposite pillar instead of the one ur on and make sure you kite shit AWAY from the pillar

Oh, no other classes go oom. Ever.

Ha, no. I was just refering to the reason why I don't bother taking mana tide totem anymore.

BEM: under the bridge in BEM, you and the dps class still get the buffs on top of the bridge and pets are unable to jump off, adding quite a bit of lifetime to the totems.

Lodaeron: on TOP of the tomb, that piece of shit has huge LOS bugs.

Nagrand: probably the hardest to position your totems but lay them down on the opposite pillar instead of the one ur on and make sure you kite shit AWAY from the pillar

The point is not whether the totems should be killable, not by a long shot, the point is whether the totems should be vulnerable to destruction without the individual destroying them actually knowing they are doing it. It's like if My druids wrath spam also decursing me automatically, even if I didn't know I was cursed. Warlocks might be a tidge upset. Or if my warrior friends MS was dispelling slow affects from him, before he even knew he was slowed.

What I meant by exact same effort was that you'd at least have to switch targets and not just spam a macro that takes all of the work out of it. That's why decursive doesn't auto-target anymore. That used to be one of my favorite healing mods for PvE, but it made PvP annoying for the non dispel classes. I could stay targeted on my healing target and dispel curses on myself. See how that's completely unfair?

If you'll notice almost everyone who suggests a fix is merely poiinting out that fact that the "pet problem" makes totems far more unreliable than other classes core mechanics. There are no macros to void MS, shapeshifting, bubbles, iceblocks, death coils, yada yada, blah blah, and so on and so forth. It's simply a matter of allowing a class to have decent use of their mechanics without others negating them without actual effort. Cause i'm damn sure every other class would get a wicked case of the sniffles if they had to deal with anything remotely similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepinglamia
    Also another reason being a female is awesome. No epeens Ah not to be controlled by my own genitalia! :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Marath
    This is a good point... do you have e-bajango or e-boobie competitions in the same way?

I like that word... e-bajango