Protection Paladins in Beta soloing? Anyone got one?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this forums has a Protection Paladin within the beta now and has been trying soloing out with it. With all the new talent changes and new spells I really want to know what it soloability is like, not really the aoe aspect of it.

I always found it hard grinding solo mobs and such, no problem aoe grinding though.

Any videos or in depth looks would be great.

I'm a new member so you can bitch slap me down if this has been asked before

Re: Protection Paladins in Beta soloing? Anyone got one?

don't be a masochist...

I would they're probably pretty well off in soloing as they gain many offensive options from talent abilities like shield and hammer of righteousness, also with sacred shield and judgement of light you'll be able to keep yourself healed up nicely

you better bring some water, though
    just ask a mage lol

While AE grinding I quickly discovered that there are not enough decent grinding spots available, and the few that are around are usually crowded already by Mages.

Next to that the damage output from a Retribution build is much higher, and involves less downtime.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

what about

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...10050145300000

to level as prot/ret hybrid with minimized downtime and be able to tank evry 5 man instance ?
    and get spelldmg from retri an tank tree ?

you may wanna check out www.maintankadin.failsafedesign.com. it should have everything u need in our WOTLK forums

ikillbigppl

please go to http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=11651.0 its my WotLk paladin vid thread... u can find all paladin videos on there. i even have some of prot paladins in dungeons and soloing. check them out ;D

with all the change to ret i dont think thers even a holy or a prot pally on beta atm :P

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

I am currently playing fully specced Prot on the Betas at the moment, and I must say the change it noticeable in DPS for soloing. Mana efficiency is much better, as well as damage from Judgement of Righteousness, especially since it is now effected by Blessing of Might. I am only level 72 at the moment, but from what I hear, the new Shield of Righteousness deals some rather impressive damage too, at little cost.

I am looking forward to getting it.

C
    x

How does the Hammer of Righteous animation look btw? Didnt manage to find any movie showing the animation

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.

Just roughly how much spell power (or actually healing power) do you have in your protect gears?

Talking about 75ish with Touched by the Light as well as Sheath of Light talents.

- - -

If the alternative spec thing won't be implemented, I hope I still have enough plain spam healing output.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrye
    what about

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...10050145300000

to level as prot/ret hybrid with minimized downtime and be able to tank evry 5 man instance ?
    and get spelldmg from retri an tank tree ?
    you skipped the + str and kings.

why?

kings = you living about 10% longer soloing stuff.
    and str = more ap = more spell dmg
    and tank gear is gonna be over flowing with str

Quote Originally Posted by myarluu
    you skipped the + str and kings.

why?

kings = you living about 10% longer soloing stuff.
    and str = more ap = more spell dmg
    and tank gear is gonna be over flowing with str
    y youre right. it was late yesterday an i was just making a build quickly.
    pobably youre better on with strg. and kings =)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrye
    y youre right. it was late yesterday an i was just making a build quickly.
    pobably youre better on with strg. and kings =)
    Next to the issue with missing Kings and Divine Strenght you also seem to have picked Anticipation and Deflection, while these are great tanking talents they are absolutely horrible for AOE grinding.

The damage dealt by an Paladin AOE grinding is Reactive, meaning you deal damage when you get hit, or when you block an attack. With picking up Anticipation and Deflection you add 10% of that not happening as Dodge and Parry effects are higher on the attack table as compared to Block.

Reference:

Miss
    Dodge
    Parry
    Glancing Blow (only players and pets versus mobs)
    Block
    Critical
    Crushing Blow (only mobs versus players and pets)
    Ordinary hit

In simpeler words, because you picked Anticipation and Deflection you will have a 10% chance of dealing no damage. And while it's true that you do not receive damage in the process you will only lengthen the combat, taking more damage overtime from the hits of the other mobs.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Yeah Rawberry youre right with that. =)
    I just wanted to create a spec where u are able to tank all the (5 man) instances with max manareg/dmg support for soloing.
    For just grinding/sololeveling i wouldnt pick these stats.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Salley
    How does the Hammer of Righteous animation look btw? Didnt manage to find any movie showing the animation
    Pretty crappy actually, your character makes the same animation as if they are casting 'Exorcism' and all that happens to the mob is a flash of golden light and a cloud of holy golden smoke comes off them, but, it is so small it is hardly visible.

As for Spellpower, I currently have around 947 spell power at the moment.

C
    x

I suggest going retri allways. From 1 to 80. Couse it is faster and better in 90% of the time.

Ofc if u cant stand retri and realy want to go prot it will be posible. Just slower. And if u dont enjoy it then dont do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelic
    Pretty crappy actually, your character makes the same animation as if they are casting 'Exorcism' and all that happens to the mob is a flash of golden light and a cloud of holy golden smoke comes off them, but, it is so small it is hardly visible.

As for Spellpower, I currently have around 947 spell power at the moment.

C
    x
    Remember that spellpower is no longer as important as strength (Block Value and AP) for Protection Paladins.

I've leveled from ... 40-76 (I'll hit 77 tonight on the beta) as prot. It's not bad at all in Northrend, especially if you've got tier 5+ quality gear.

Retribution looks like a good leveling spec, but respeccing to tank 5-mans will be a total bitch. If you leveled prot before, go ahead and do it again. If you intend on running instances, stay prot.

You'll have the added benefit of your tanking gear doubling as healing gear with the spellpower changes.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by StormScion
    I suggest going retri allways. From 1 to 80. Couse it is faster and better in 90% of the time.

Ofc if u cant stand retri and realy want to go prot it will be posible. Just slower. And if u dont enjoy it then dont do it.
    Well Retributions is a diffrent type of gameplay style, and my current paladin is lv70 in most T6 tankadin gear.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...lrogg&n=Fantus

I got some spell damage plate as well for soloing which is great for aoe grinding but when it comes to one vs ones. Lets say its abit slow and mana consuming so want to see how it is now with the new improvmeents to the trees and added nuke spells.