Thread: Lets talk specs

Lets talk specs

I know everyone prob already has talked or went over the new specs for WoLK. But me being a army recruit and not having much time so spend in the forums. I need some help figuring out whats gonna be IN and whats gonna be OUT. Such as is the Resists to curses gonna be in season 5?, Along with how far to go into prot. Is Imrproved Conc Aura gonna be worth having PVP status? Help me out pallys, Honestly I've done my share of helping everyone that I knew how to play paladins. And now that I don't have time to spend IN game, MIND HELPING A FELLOW PALLY OUT!?

"Paladin since day one""

Re: Lets talk specs

Which spec do you want to talk about, and for what role? PVP or PVE? Tank / Shock / Ret / Heal?

Sounds like Holy PvP

My guess is that there are 2 specs, the classic:51/20 and the SoL 48/0/23 or some variant.
    Now I personally haven't bothered to do too much messing around with the SoL variant but I can lend my thoughts to the classic.

First I would like to say i was literally aroused by the changes to holy which addressed my concerns I've had about holy pvp since the nerfs of late s1/early s2 and subsequent buffs to other classes that affected us greatly.

In the classic build you will pretty much be copying the 41/20 from live but in this one you will sacrifice some crit talent to scoop up every "reduction" effect there is. You can get crit from gear. Blessed Life is one to pick up just because like the others you cant scoop it from gear and it adds another roll to the combat table.
    Picking up BoL is just because you've already sunk so many points in , might as well sink another for a situational spell(really need to wait to see how it functions at 80 in regards to mana cost etc). That and it has its use in 5's.

Rolling over to prot you will proceed up the tree like usual,capping it off with imp hoj and divine guardian which will really help in 2's and could be part of an offensive strategy in 5's or maybe even 3's.

The only talents I'm really hung up on is the top tier judgement talents, increased range and spell haste are great but I am still having trouble coming up with a good way to fit them in short of a 3/5 and 1/2 thing. Have to say that if the judgement talent increased its time on target as opposed to chance to hit that would be better.

Basic- I pick up sacred cleansing because anything that eases my cleansebot duty is worth my left *mumble mumble*
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...00000000000000

Alternate- drop imp hoj though i don't know about that. Feel free to drop point for Judgement range in speed.

In any of the two above builds you could drop Blessed Life for speed/crit but giving that the only reason you didnt drop points in it before was placement in the tree being remedied by 10 point extension I feel is justified.

Just for kicks, in my experience healing as ret is that PoJ is almost as good a reason to delve into ret as SoL due to mobility. Though I falter a bit on talent placements in this one.

Another variation inspired from another thread.

Without playing and testing it is difficult to know for sure how viable divine guardian,sheath of light,beacon of light and sacred cleansing will be.

<<former 2k pally s1/s2 - dropped for a resto druid in 2's

ikillbigppl

all of my tallent specs are changable. im just giving an idea of what most people are considering the best specs of corse your spec is prefrence this is just an idea

this will probably be the big thing for ret paladin pvp - posibly some tallents moved around depending on prefrence

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...13532100201351

shockadin pvp - or somthing like that

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

-------

PVE

healing

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...03000000000000 - sheath of light spec

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000 - deep holly spec

ret

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...13533135231051

prot

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

---------------

and agen i say these are just base specs for u to change around and put the way you most feal right. hope this helps

What it's looking like is that as pvp holy we're going to have 2 viable choices: Holy (of course), with a side of prot, or a side of ret.

The traditional 20 points in prot will probably be used by many holy paladins (making the spec 51/20/0). As the prot tree would imply, there are several talents here that give bonuses to your survival, including improved HoJ, stoicism, kings, imp righteous fury, and so on. All the good ol' talents from our BC cookie cutter spec.

A more radical change to holy pvp would be diving fairly deep into ret as well as holy, making a hybrid of some sort. You would want a minimum of 31 in ret so you can get repentance, and you would also want 31 in holy so you can get holy shock. With the changes to holy shock that are going to be implemented, it seems as if our shocks alone will be our main heals, reducing the need to go deeper into holy. Some useful talents in ret that would benefit healing in arena:

Benediction: Reduced mana cost is always nice.
    Imp Judgements: With 31+ points in ret you'll be playing a more offensive role, and the talent Judgements of the Wise will restore mana to you and your partner.
    Heart of the Crusader: A nice filler talent that offers a little support, or it can simply be another debuff that the other healer has to dispell if nothing else.
    Vindication: The proc rate is fairly high, so if you're doing frequent judgements then it will almost always be up. 20% attribute reduction is very nice.
    Conviction: 5% crit, now applies to heals too. And we all know pallies love spell crit
    Seal of Command: You're going to be using judgements anyways to get mana back, might as well be one that packs a punch!
    Pursuit of Justice: Increased run speed, great talent.
    Eye for an Eye: Affects all crits now, definitely worth getting.
    Sheathe of Light: The real goldmine, right now in BC i heal about 7k with holy light crits. That means 4.2k additional healing over 12 seconds. In the end that comes out to 1050 healed per [3 second] tick.
    Repentance: With the changes they made it's almost identical to blind, with only a minute cooldown.

If you went 31/0/31 that would leave you 9 points leftover to spend wherever you want. You could invest 8 into prot to get stoicism, or you could dump them all into holy. I wouldn't recommend putting them in ret, the talents after repentance aren't too great for healing.

That's how I see it now anyways, after seeing this I wonder if there's truly going to be a "cookie cutter" spec in wotlk.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bonechewer&n=Crispybacon

I wouldn't really bother with trying to plan a specific spec quite yet. It's still fairly early in the beta and a lot of talents/skills are likely to be changed. I personally am going to wait till they actually release the talents pre-release (if they plan to do so again) to decide what is good and what is bad for general use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

Im quite interested in trying a spec dipping heavily into holy with some ret on the side for pve, if the talents stay similar to what they are now I could see myself raiding as http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...00000000000000 ,
    as "conviction" now affects spells and it is much easier to keep judgements on a boss as a holy pala, the extra 3% crit to your raid / party and 5% crit to your spells is more attractive to me than the classic kings buff which hopefully we can rely on prot pallies to bring instead.

However this totally depends on how blizz may modify the kings buff, if it gives 10% more healing etc I really couldnt pass it up but that sounds a wee bit op to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama
    Im quite interested in trying a spec dipping heavily into holy with some ret on the side for pve, if the talents stay similar to what they are now I could see myself raiding as http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...00000000000000 ,
    as "conviction" now affects spells and it is much easier to keep judgements on a boss as a holy pala, the extra 3% crit to your raid / party and 5% crit to your spells is more attractive to me than the classic kings buff which hopefully we can rely on prot pallies to bring instead.
    If you are already dedicating 15 points in Retribution you might aswell add 8 more points and spec Sheath of Light. Personally I have no problem with losing Beacon of Light to Sheath of Light and believe that Sheath of Light improves my healing done more than Beacon of Light ever will.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    If you are already dedicating 15 points in Retribution you might aswell add 8 more points and spec Sheath of Light. Personally I have no problem with losing Beacon of Light to Sheath of Light and believe that Sheath of Light improves my healing done more than Beacon of Light ever will.
    While I agree that your currently right I would imagine that blizzard will make our 51 point holy talent better for pve healing than our 23 point ret talent before launch.

Im pretty sure that sheath of light is only being designed so that ret palas can actually produce a decent amount of healing whithout having to spam all their mana away.
    Thanks to the merging of the critical hit stat between spells and melee a ret pala will have a fair amount of crit to get sheath of light procing a nice amount.

Having said that at present I see both talents being more useful in different scenarios, I have quite enjoyed using beacon of light on the beta and at present I see it being far more useful than sheath of light in 25 man raiding to compensate for splash dmg on melee groups as well as giving a boost to our normal spam.
    In comparison sheath of light will obviously be much more useful in pvp as our lack of instant casts hots mean we can rely on hots from our casted heals to keep team-mates alive when they are out of our los as well as reducing our overall mana usage.

My main concern with sheath of light will be how useful the hot really will be if your heal target is taking a massive amount of damage. If you are spamming a tank just to keep him up then you may rarely see the full benefit of the hot as you would probably be resetting it every 3-5 seconds. Ofc you would still get some ticks going while healing with sheath of light in a pve scenario but I still see beacon of light giving a better improvement the amount you are healing over all.

I would imagine that rather than making you heal more, sheath of light would likely make healing easier which is obviously why a healing pala would want it for pvp and as it seems KLAP is more interested in the pvp side of healing a 48/0/23 spec may be best for you. Still tho I think we have a while before we will be seeing Wotlk on the shelves so dont worry about it too much yet.

I also didnt mention that being able to keep up judgment of light on a boss much more easily as a deep holy spec will also greatly increase the amount of healing you are causing as well, although I dont think that shows up on the healing metres as specifically your healing. Although thats close to solely a pve use.

While I agree with you that it is still too early to tell Aceldama, I do not think that Sheath of Light should be so easily overlooked even if they change Beacon of Light.

IMO Shamans and Priest will probably always be better raid healers than us, so that means that the Paladin will fall back into it's old routine healing the MT.
    In this situation the HOT from Sheath of Light can be incredibly powerful. Especially if you need to pop Lay on Hands once and it crits, that would be just awesome.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see .

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    Especially if you need to pop Lay on Hands once and it crits, that would be just awesome.
    Yeh that would be insane lol, hopefully we wont get pushed into just spot healing again in the next expansion tho