Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Mana Batteries-Frost Mage or SPriest?

Hello, this is my first mmo-champion posting, so I hope the trolls don't find me too tempting. :P

"your Water Elemental restores mana to all party or raid members an amount equal to 1/2/3% of their total mana every 5 seconds. (Previously restored party and raid members health equal to 1/2/3% of their total health every 5 seconds.)"

Does the 44-point Frost Mage talent, Improved Water Elemental, result in Frost Mages being better mana batteries than Shadow Priests? Used optimally, I picture a Frost Mage parking his Water Elemental someplace safe for the full one-minute duration, thus restoring 36% of the entire raid's mana every 2.5 minutes* (*=read the Cold as Ice talent). By contrast to the raid wide Water Elemental buff, the 41-point Shadow Priest talent Vampiric Touch only applies to a single party.

This is strictly regarding 25 man raid bosses, where raid buffs are important and boss fights are long.

Please allow that talents are fluid, and that some who read this may see a different talent setup in the future.

Re: Mana Batteries-Frost Mage or SPriest?

It's a heal, not a mana regen. So very doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Panoramixe
    It's a heal, not a mana regen. So very doubtful.
    Actually it is mana regen in the latest build. But like I said before: THIS! IS! BETA!

They can change the effect from the water elemental, they can change Vampiric Touch. So just wait and see...
    /thread

I hope they both become mana batteries, would help many classes that can get OOM fast (AKA Boomkins and Shammies) and well any other class that uses mana =D

My bad I expected Blizz to update their talent trees the first, dunno why they never did before.

If the talent stays the way it is it would be pretty awesome, but quite overpowered. Certainly if you take into account they've also been given a 10% crit debuff for arcane and fire and the fact frost already seems to be a viable raiding tree as it stand on the current beta build.

IMO it is a stupid design, but unfortuinately Blizzard seems to be gettign a major expertise on that.

But the answer is actually neither - check palys and hunters.

got feeling that one wont never go trought. few frost mages and you got infinate mana on your disposal

36% mana over 2.5 minutes is far less mana than a spriest gives, and probably even after the VT nerf. BUT if it effects that whole raid and not just the group it is freakishly op.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockbuster
    Actually it is mana regen in the latest build. But like I said before: THIS! IS! BETA!

They can change the effect from the water elemental, they can change Vampiric Touch. So just wait and see...
    Messenger: Madman! Kalgan's a madman!
    King Leonidas: A lot of classes are getting talents that restore mana. I know it seems like improved water elemental is overpowered, but it's hard to know what level 80 content will be like.
    Messenger: No man, Designer or Developer, no man threatens class balance!
    King Leonidas: Maybe they'll rework Vampiric Touch. They're still a long way from a finished product.
    Messenger: This is blasphemy! This is madness!
    King Leonidas: Madness...?
    [shouting]
    King Leonidas: This is BETA!

You'll bring one Shadow Priest, One Frost Mage, and one Disc' Priest.

Bringing multiple is on the way out big time. That's just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by Manip
    You'll bring one Shadow Priest, One Frost Mage, and one Disc' Priest.

Bringing multiple is on the way out big time. That's just my 2c.
    you mean shadow priest survival hunter and ret paladin right?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by b37x
    Messenger: Madman! Kalgan's a madman!
    King Leonidas: A lot of classes are getting talents that restore mana. I know it seems like improved water elemental is overpowered, but it's hard to know what level 80 content will be like.
    Messenger: No man, Designer or Developer, no man threatens class balance!
    King Leonidas: Maybe they'll rework Vampiric Touch. They're still a long way from a finished product.
    Messenger: This is blasphemy! This is madness!
    King Leonidas: Madness...?
    [shouting]
    King Leonidas: This is BETA!
    LMAO, but seriously, I think shadow preist will still generate the most mana, but a nice mix of all the mana generators would be best i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeroad
    I hope they both become mana batteries, would help many classes that can get OOM fast (AKA Boomkins and Shammies) and well any other class that uses mana =D
    As a shaman I have to say: We can go oom? oO neither as elemental or resto I go oom with constant spamming...
    Deja Moo - The feeling you've heard this bullshit before.
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then its fun and games but you can't see.

considering shadow priests in sunwell gear level put out around 2k dps
    = 1000 mp5

frost mage would just be like a mana tide totem and would not replace shadow priest

Quote Originally Posted by myarluu
    and would not replace shadow priest
    No one, never, will ever be able to REPLACE as Shadow! Never! Even if the stop unsing Vampiric Embrace or Vampiric Touch! Not only because the do so high DPS ... no because no other class locks better! Muahhahahaaaaaa

Undead Shadows will rule the World!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCloud
    No one, never, will ever be able to REPLACE as Shadow! Never! Even if the stop unsing Vampiric Embrace or Vampiric Touch! Not only because the do so high DPS ... no because no other class locks better! Muahhahahaaaaaa

Undead Shadows will rule the World!
    are you roll playing or just bad at english?

are you roll playing or just bad at english?
    Hmmm ... Both I think!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCloud
    Hmmm ... Both I think!
    sounds fun
    lmao

nothing is going to come close to spriest regen

aight... lets assuming this. 10k mana pool with a spriest that does 1000 dps. right now, that generates 250 m/5. 250 mana is 2.5% every 5 sec, and imp water ele is 3%. now heres the killer. BT+ casters have well beyond 10k mana, making 250 mana much less than 2.5%. also VT is getting nerfed to 2% so we give ppl 100 m/5, dropping that below 1%. imp water ele while active will crush the mana regen that a spriest brings. however, spriest dps is being buffed for wrath, and the other buffs that we bring will always be desired - misery, shadow weaving, dispels, and shackles.

considering shadow priests in sunwell gear level put out around 2k dps
    = 1000 mp5

frost mage would just be like a mana tide totem and would not replace shadow priest
    Considering that vampiric touch is nerfed by 60% of it's current state in BC... down to 2%..

Im in the beta currently, and have a shadow priest (as my main, in BT/Hyjal/Sunwell gear), and a ret paladin (in kara gear). At level 70, my ret paladin is literally at full mana after every fight I get into, and restores a lot more mana than my shadow priest.

Granted, they are not at level 80, so I can't properly say that ret paladins restore mana better than shadow priests, but this is my initial notice.