Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: WotLK Beta - Build 8788

Quote Originally Posted by Polishedhead
    Warriors always have 100 rage, from level 1 to 80. So Mortal Strike costing 30 rage is already always 30% of a warrior's base rage, is it not?
    Erm, i always thought that base rage of warrior is 0 and max is 100, isn't it? =P

ps. i wasn't really serious in my previous post ;p

say goodbye to rank 1 totem killing macros

I'll still be using frostbolt rank1 every now and then for the debuff.. it's still a faster cast than the max rank.

"This is not a bug.

In the latest WotLK beta push, we made a large change to the mana cost of spells. All player spells now cost a percentage of base mana rather than a fixed cost. Base mana is a special value determined by the player’s level and class, regardless of any effects or items that increase intellect. It is the size of a player’s mana pool if the player has zero intellect.

This change was made primarily to prevent downranking, as it's a technique that was never quite intended. Rather than continue to find ways to penalize players for casting low-rank spells, we decided to essentially make doing so obsolete. If rank 5 and rank 6 of a spell cost the same amount of mana, but rank 6 does more damage/healing, then there is no reason to consider casting rank 5.

So, each spell line (eg. Frostbolt, Shadowbolt, Greater Heal, Rejuvenation, etc.) has a fixed percentage of base mana that it costs for most of its ranks. That means each time a player gains a level the cost will go up some. The percentages were picked to attempt to keep the costs relatively similar to what they are currently in World of Warcraft. For most spells, that percentage will drop some when the player receives their highest-rank spell in existing Burning Crusade content. This was done to better fit the existing cost curve, and to keep the mana cost for level 70 players as close as possible to existing costs. Level 70 characters will see most of their maximum rank spells change in cost slightly up or down, but not by significant amounts.

We anticipate there being some balance concerns due to this change, and our development staff will be ready to implement new spells, abilities, or talents to resolve those issues as the testing process continues."

Stupidest effing idea ever....

GeeGee Blizz :P

As a tailor, I am a little confused about why Blizz decided to not only come up with the new spellthread for pants, but now offer the tailor their own spell to enchant your pants... Doesn't that defeat the purpose of making the spellthread for yourself??? Mind you this isn't a complaint... It's more like "Why didn't they think of this in BC??" ;D
    Omnicron - Lv 80 Blood Elf Death Knight
    < Not That Kind Of Orc > Medivh server
    Shadowlocke - Lv 80 Undead Warlock
    < The Shinigami > Medivh server

As a healer I used lower ranked heals all the time. Inbetween trash pulls if you want to top the tank off, why use the highest rank greater heal for some big amount when you only need to heal 2000. Or say I'm in a 5 man with some minor AoE damage or like a random target attack and I only want to heal somebody for 1500. It's going to come down to not healing anyone that took less than 4000 damage, otherwise its a waste of my mana.

And don't DPS'rs sometimes downrank because of aggro issues? Or was I misinformed on that?
    They keep trying to make things idiot-proof.
    We just come up with better idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicron76
    "Why didn't they think of this in BC??" ;D
    Because the "tailor only" enchant is a lot more powerful and can't be traded

Quote Originally Posted by satty
    Hmm, i wonder if rogue and warrior skills will have cost in % too. =P
    I can somehow see Sinister Strike costing 40% of base energy, but Mortal Strike costing 30% of warrior base rage would be kinda imba.
    That would suck for rogues who get 110 or 120 energy in their pool, and completely defeat the purpose of getting vigor then.

Quote Originally Posted by harod
    say goodbye to rank 1 totem killing macros
    This is the only good thing I see about the whole down-ranking thing. I don't play a shaman, but this seems like it would be a huge problem.

On the other hand, the down-ranking of healing in raids seems to be pretty crucial for mana conservation, so that's a huge kick in the nuts to PvEers.

Also, I think if the intention of this change was to prevent Rank 1 de-stealths, they are really missing the point of stealth classes. Rank 1 still costs mana and AOE spells are rarely cheap, eventually you'll run out. If you're a stealth class, you should be in tune with the 'waiting game', i.e. wait until they stop casting their AoE, in the meanwhile, they're just hurting themselves. This is a completely unnecessary change, IMO.

The downrank change pretty much is Blizzard saying that they want to completely remove an aspect of strategy from this game. Terrible, just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    and completely defeat the purpose of getting vigor then.
    Lol, didn't know that there are rogues who actually gets a vigor. That's like the most useless talent in the game? : Anyway, base energy would still be at "100". Isn't base mana, a mana w/o abosolutely anything beside what you got for levels? That means no talents, base int, etc.
    Lets finish that topic, i was joking and haven't thought anyone could take me serious.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    Now, those epic weapons look a LOT more realistic!

And, hmm, the jewelcrafting gems have 27 stats each.
    That's +7 more per gem.
    ap, agi, hit, crit, expertise, armor pen.

Still not quite worth taking it over enchanting or something else.
    It'd have to be 40+ for 5 gems for my rogue to want that profession.
    And crit isn't optimal.

They are probably getting more than just the gems though.
    JC's also make BoP trinkets. I'm interested in seeing what they do here. Something with +spell power would be nice as it was a lacking option for JC trinkets. The AP ones were great, though, but two of them?

Way to mess up mana classes Blizz. Might as well re name the game world of Meleecraft. The point of Downranking were for its affects i.e. a Rank 1 Frostbolt does little to no real damage for the effect of slowed movement. What will be the point of even using it if it cost the same as the max rank. In regards to downranking wether it was intended or not let it be it caused no harm and many classes relied on it to get simple effects out.

Warrior (Skills List / Talent Calc. (8788))
    No other changes than the mana cost modifications on most of the skills. Please check the skills list for the respective cost of each skill / rank.

This will help so much!!! OMG!!!

Base mana, huh.

Steady shot, 19% mana increase. Arcane, 20% increase. Serpent sting, 10% increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffemming
    The downrank change pretty much is Blizzard saying that they want to completely remove an aspect of strategy from this game. Terrible, just terrible.
    QFT, I honestly am baffled by this change.
    I understand some spells getting the change but not ALL spells... like someone already mentioned rank 1 ES is a god send for enh shamans... now we have to blow a insane amount of mana just to stop u from casting... with LIMITED mana pools... not to mention the nerf to shamanistic rage so we get ALOT less mana from that alone... horrible change in the eyes of a enh shaman and like someone else already said... Healers downrank to conserve mana thats what separates the noobs from the pros... and now everyone will just seem ordinary at best

Yea it's pretty much Game over man.

Crap, i just realized this means I can't use rank 1 arcane explosion to round up mobs when I'm farming. Bleh

I actually just realized the implications behind what this will do for my tankadin. I've always had issues with mana (still learning, really) but a nice r1-2 consecrate was great for rounding up the baddies and putting a little bit of threat on them before the main target went down. Full rank Consecrate is a huge mana hog, and it makes baby jesus cry.

Blizzard explain base mana please, so if my fire mage has the base mana of 10k and living bomb costs 31% of base mana that is 3,1k mana or??? Kinda wierd since it was 980 mana which was quiet more then way to expensive ( yea 10 living bomb and I am OOM) so please explain

P.S.

Living bomb 31%
    DB 31%
    BW 28%
    and then arcane barrage 18% that is barely ok
    and Deep freeze 8% and those 2 are instant cast and their dmg is only like 500-600 less then LB

Quote Originally Posted by glhyphic
    Blizzard explain base mana please, so if my fire mage has the base mana of 10k and living bomb costs 31% of base mana that is 3,1k mana or??? Kinda wierd since it was 980 mana which was quiet more then way to expensive ( yea 10 living bomb and I am OOM) so please explain

P.S.

Living bomb 31%
    DB 31%
    BW 28%
    and then arcane barrage 18% that is barely ok
    and Deep freeze 8% and those 2 are instant cast and their dmg is only like 500-600 less then LB
    Your base mana is your mana before Intellect, gear, buffs, talents. ETC. Here's what base mana is for each class at level 70.

Class | Base mana
    ------------------
    Mage | 2241
    Druid | 2370
    Warlock | 2615
    Priest | 2620
    Paladin | 2953
    Shaman | 2958
    Hunter | 3383