Percentage based spell costs effect to Light's Grace

(I don't know if this has been previously discussed or not but with a quick search I did not find anything on this topic.)

With the changes to spell cost there will be no reason to downrank to keep this buff up, and it will obviously drain our mana very quickly if we were to intentionally keep this buff running throughout the entire duration of an encounter. On top of that, our new ability to throw Holy Light at -2.5 seconds with a Holy Shock crit will dissuade healers to even cast Holy Light for non-emergency situations meaning the buff is not up when we need it most and it is up when we don't.

Example:
    • Tank takes a big hit.
    • Holy Shock crit + Holy Light.
    • Tank is full hp again and there is no reason to cast a Holy Light within the next 15 seconds as Flash of Light + crit HoTs will be sufficient so the buff disappears.

What is the approach Blizzard is taking? Do they want us to wait more so the tank needs a big heal in order to keep our buff running or will they be attaching this buff to another spell so that it is more feasible for an encounter?

Perhaps I am still a bit stuck on the mindset that we will be casting a lot of FoL as opposed to HL, but at 7% base mana and 29% base mana respectively, I do not see why we wouldn't. Can I get some beta testers input about healing rotations and if the Light's Grace talent is worth picking up?

In my opinion, the Light's Grace buff should read something along the lines of:
    (Chance on) a successful Flash of Light cast, you gain the Light's Grace (1) effect which decreases your next Holy Light spell cast within 3 seconds by 0.5 seconds. (Chance on) a successful Holy Light cast, you gain the Light's Grace (2) effect which decreases your next Flash of Light spell cast within 3 seconds by 1 second.

This way it encourages the player to alternate spell casting in tight situations and also promotes the paladins emergency healing strength that Blizzard seems to be implying through the changes to Lay on Hands and Infusion of Light. (This may need some kind of tweaking though as it does seem a bit overpowered in PvP, but I'm just throwing out ideas.)

Thank you for reading.

Re: Percentage based spell costs effect to Light's Grace

Didn't really think of this but I never purposedly kept up Light's grace anyway, I picked up the talent so when I'm having to spam a tank, I can get 2 second Holy Light's instead of 2.5 second...it's still going to be a useful talent no matter what.

downranking to get the buff was obviously not intended and this is one of the many reasons they added % based spells anyway.

Another way to fix this problem you speak of is to possibly have the Light's Grace duration last longer, like 30 seconds. But all in all, it's not really a problem, just a change for people who downranked (I personally never do) to get used too.

TBH all this % of base mana stuff is a real low blow to paladins...even though they listed druids and priests as the main "abusers." The heal I use most on my paladin is rank 7 Holy Light...and I'm a firm believer that a little bit more mana for a stronger heal (ie Holy vs. Flash) is a much better choice. Blizzard's either going to have to REALLY change beacon of light into something more...fitting for a rotation (not set it and forget it) or all paladins are going to be able to do is spam flash of light...as there's really not much of a point in using top rank holy light unless you know there's going to be some SERIOUS damage (enrages.) As far as Light's Grace goes...looks like paladins just got a PvP nerf too... While flash is the most mana efficient heal there is, it's also the absolute worst healing per second. Flash Heal, Lesser Healing Wave, and Lifebloom all heal for more per second (some dispute over lifebloom I guess but it's still OP.) Dunno if anyone else noticed this little tidbit but any buff with less than 30 seconds left on the duration when starting an arena will be gone...meaning you have to waste over a thousand mana once starting an arena to keep Light's Grace up just IN CASE you need to start spamming it for those burst moments.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, anyway....sorry for the rant. :-\

It certainly looks like it'll change my healing habits permanently come the expansion.

Up to now I've been using max rank FoL, with rank 5 HL's to keep up Lights Grace up during boss fights, throwing in HL rank 9's where needed, and 11's for "oh shit" moments. That's obviously not going to be an option any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbieman
    In my opinion, the Light's Grace buff should read something along the lines of:
    (Chance on) a successful Flash of Light cast, you gain the Light's Grace (1) effect which decreases your next Holy Light spell cast within 3 seconds by 0.5 seconds. (Chance on) a successful Holy Light cast, you gain the Light's Grace (2) effect which decreases your next Flash of Light spell cast within 3 seconds by 1 second.

This way it encourages the player to alternate spell casting in tight situations and also promotes the paladins emergency healing strength that Blizzard seems to be implying through the changes to Lay on Hands and Infusion of Light. (This may need some kind of tweaking though as it does seem a bit overpowered in PvP, but I'm just throwing out ideas.)
    I quite like this idea in principle, although I personally think it only really needs the first (FoL) effect to help Light's Grace remain as viable as it is now (in a raiding situation at least). I will point out now that I'm speaking from a strictly PvE point of view as I don't really PvP at all.

We'll just have to see how it pans out I guess. The beta still has a way to go, and despite all the whining on the forums I'm sure Blizzard has thought of this stuff already anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumpp
    TBH all this % of base mana stuff is a real low blow to paladins...even though they listed druids and priests as the main "abusers." The heal I use most on my paladin is rank 7 Holy Light...and I'm a firm believer that a little bit more mana for a stronger heal (ie Holy vs. Flash) is a much better choice. Blizzard's either going to have to REALLY change beacon of light into something more...fitting for a rotation (not set it and forget it) or all paladins are going to be able to do is spam flash of light...as there's really not much of a point in using top rank holy light unless you know there's going to be some SERIOUS damage (enrages.) As far as Light's Grace goes...looks like paladins just got a PvP nerf too... While flash is the most mana efficient heal there is, it's also the absolute worst healing per second. Flash Heal, Lesser Healing Wave, and Lifebloom all heal for more per second (some dispute over lifebloom I guess but it's still OP.) Dunno if anyone else noticed this little tidbit but any buff with less than 30 seconds left on the duration when starting an arena will be gone...meaning you have to waste over a thousand mana once starting an arena to keep Light's Grace up just IN CASE you need to start spamming it for those burst moments.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, anyway....sorry for the rant. :-\
    I've cleared through the entire game of TBC, including Kil'jaeden and I have never never downranked a Holy Light spell...we don't have healing problems, I pull around 4th (under 2 shamans and a priest) in overall healing. Downranking is not required and people that do will simply have to get used to this change.

I dont have a problem with the change itself, more the % they have atm.
    I just stripped to no int gear at all, and checked out my mana pool at 70.

BE paladin. 87 Base Intellect. 3978 Mana Pool

So right now my FoL is 180 Mana at Max Rank
    Take 180 / 3978 you get 4.52%

Holy Light is 840 Mana at Max Rank
    Take 840 / 3978 you get 21.12%

With spell going to a % base at FoL at 7%, and HL at 29%

Yeah its gonna hurt our mana efficiency some, but maybe now I can compete with the stupid resto shammy that spam rank 1 or 2 Chain heals forever now, and get raid spot preference over me
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

Divine interllect

also I've pretty much done the same as Mr. Kil'Jaeden, having tryed down ranking and having 1/5 on my bars for.. mainly PvP, it just really isnt needed in PvE
    Druids have swiftmend and NS, shammys aswell, and if your tank is taking enough damage to need more than a NS + Swiftmend then hes probably going to die anyway :>

Quote Originally Posted by Xs
    Divine interllect
    Didn't have it cause im in tankadin spec atm. So thats not factored in
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

well, as with all the other mana values weve seen, they are probably place holders that are still getting tweaked
    or they may just be factoring in Sheath of Light spec and all it's awesomeness

Apparently my math was off cause i used the 87 int I have from being lvl 70. Values according to blue post are as if we had 0 int. So below is what it should be. While downranking is still current, looks like % are roughly the same in wotlk as they are now.

Paladin
    Base Mana - 2953
    Beacon of Light - 30% - 885.9
    Holy Light - 29% - 856.37
    Holy Shock - 18% - 531.54
    Flash of Light - 7% - 206.71

yeah the spells are very slightly more but if you guys compare the static costs of highest rank holy light, becaon of light, holy shock, etc. assuming we jump another 1000 base mana (like from 60 to 70) our spells are going to be much cheaper than what they had originally stated for level 80.