Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WotLK Screenshots update, Blue posts

Wrath of the Lich King - Screenshots Update
    We added screenshots to some of the zones pages. We'll probably update some articles this week, don't be surprised if some of them look strange at some point, it won't last more than a few minutes.

Gun'drak (Article)
    A lot of effects were added, boss rooms labeled and it definitely looks great now.

Ahn'Kahet: The Old Kingdom (Article)
    This is supposedly the 2nd part of Azjol-Nerub. A page has been created for this dungeon - Ahn'Kahet: The Old Kingdom

Caverns of Time - Stratholme (Article)
    I never really took the time to take a lot of screenshots of the zone, this is now fixed. Note that the Crusader's Squad was updated in one of the latest build and is now filled with Scourge weaponry.

Chamber of Aspects (Article)
    The article was modified to add pages for the different aspects. NPCs have appeared next to each portal in the latest build.

The Violet Hold (Article)
    The zone was revamped in 8770 but I never took the time to update the screenshots, here is how it looks now !

Strand of the Ancients (Article)
    A few graphical improvements were made to the zone.

Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Mana cost change to prevent Downranking
    Remember that we're looking for constructive feedback. And please keep in mind that as we've stated, we're going to look at any issues this changes creates and will be working to resolve them. This may include the addition of new spells or abilities or possibly re-working existing unused abilities. (Source)

Utgarde Keep - Ingvar the Plunderer Phase 2
    We're still looking into what causes Ingvar's transition to phase 2 to halt for some players, but haven't been able to identify the precise reason this happens yet. (Source)

Feral Tanking in WotLK
    Nobody can really compare a level 80 prot warrior to a level 80 feral druid because those individuals don't exist yet. Therefore, we have made almost no attempt to compare their tanking stats except to say "Man, bears could probably use something like Last Stand and something like Thunder Clap" and "Hey, let's make sure bears don't have to scrounge for rare +defense leather or even +resilience in order to be uncrittable." That work is coming.

Bears are able to tank some end-game content even on Live, so I don't think they are orders of magnitude behind warriors. In situations where they struggle, it is sometimes because of crushing blows or mechanics introduced specifically to drive warriors to tank, Shear for instance. I'm going to be tanking Ulduar on my bear, so I'll be the first to complain if I feel the class design isn't up to it.

As far as the previous poster who likes the Feral as the tank / dps hybrid, I don't think anything we're doing will really hurt that. You may be 5-10 talent points behind a tank-focused Feral or a dps-focused Feral but if you liked OTing the bear boss in ZA and then dps'ing on the eagle boss, you should still be great at doing that. The difference is the bear who does spend those talents on threat, mitigation and oh snap abilities instead of +Shred can actually be a raid's primary main tank.

One of the best rogues I know occasionally raided in blue gear or with no talent spec just to remind everyone that player skill often has a much bigger impact on your contribution to a raid than anything else. I know it's easy for anyone to drag out antecdotes that nobody else can validate, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Now I am imagining the "GC said you don't need talents or gear to tank, so obviously X class isn't going to get any!" quotes. 1) Not true. 2) Sigh. (Source)

Warrior (Skills List / Talent Calc. (8788))
    Overpower in PvE
    I can't recall if I mentioned this, but one thing that comes up a lot is letting Arms get better use out of Overpower in PvE. No promises, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see something like this. (Source)

Tanking multiple targets in WotLK
    Shockwave is a cool ability, but if it is the ultimate AE tanking ability, that isn't really going to let dps warriors tank Utgarde. I also know plenty of warriors and bears that can get a large pull to stick them like glue even today. But it takes a lot of tab-targeting and a lot of skill. Skill is always going to be a component of tanking, but since you can't always gauge the skill of someone you don't know, we'd rather give everyone good tools to tank a 5-player run. (Source)

Death Knight (Skills List / Talent Calc. (8788))
    Bloodworms Healing
    The Bloodworms should heal you for 150% of the damage they do. If they hit for 30, they should heal you for 45. There were some bugs with the calculation until recently. (Source)

Death Knight Auras in Buff Bar
    We turned the aura icons off. Once you get the talent, that aura will be up all the time so we thought it was annoying to have the icon always there reminding you. Most passive talents aren't shown as icons. It shows up for the other players in your group, however, to remind them. (Source)

Black Ice
    Black Ice says it affects "spells" but I believe the way it is set up is just to improve Frost and Shadow damage. I'm not sure if anyone has tested that or not. Changing that tooltip could have a big effect on Frost and Unholy.

Re: WotLK Screenshots update, Blue posts

First!

Some of these screenshots really impress me. I absolutely love the graphic detail blizzard is finally putting into the game. Remarkable, imo.
    [Quit All Games in 2010] [Never coming back!]
    [Too busy working and having a life] [It's been fun, Later!]

"Man, bears could probably use something like Last Stand and something like Thunder Clap"
    While they are at it, they should give everybody else shield wall too. Oops, half way there. :

Quote Originally Posted by kittynipples
    While they are at it, they should give everybody else shield wall too. Oops, half way there. :
    actually bear should just be able to wear a shield. Actually no, make them the first user to be able to "dual wield shield" (you know, one for each side). With 7k armor per shield multiplied by 5, that be enough I think. Barely but it'd be a nice start.

Yes this is ironic for 2-3 that are wondering

old kingdom?
    faceless ones in there?
    ViktorVaughn - Nightelf Rogue - EU-Mal'Ganis

D.E.H.T.A. is outside my house picnicin' 'cuz everything in my coat's been previously livin'!

What has happend to the weekly comics btw? Arn't they usually on mondays?

Bronze, red, green, black, blue?

Hope they make Overpower usable after miss parry block too that would have been Über with Unrelenting Assult 8)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-PniqN3AQj4
    ●████▅▅▄▄▄▄â–

Is it just me or is the very first picture looking like a smiley/face, with legs and horns or something? (Dont zoom in on it - look at it at a distance)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus
    One of the bosses in this game is a god called Al'ar (pron: al'lah) who spawns an endless supply of minions who explode when they die. I think Muslims have greater concerns than whether or not Shadow Word: Death fulfils the requirements of halal.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    Seems like it! Gives them quite some space for extra content there.
    It's not right if it doesnt sound wrong.

Stratholme looks awesome.. I hope we get to experience when the city starts to burn down etc, as shown on the screenshots

Wow all those places look badass, look so much better than the monotony of BC. There were only a few places in BC that just were awesome.

Amazing Screenshots. I'm also glad their open to feedback and suggestions on the whole downranking situation.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Tanking multiple targets in WotLK
    Shockwave is a cool ability, but if it is the ultimate AE tanking ability, that isn't really going to let dps warriors tank Utgarde. I also know plenty of warriors and bears that can get a large pull to stick them like glue even today. But it takes a lot of tab-targeting and a lot of skill. Skill is always going to be a component of tanking, but since you can't always gauge the skill of someone you don't know, we'd rather give everyone good tools to tank a 5-player run. (Source)
    I totally agree with the skill aspect here, by no means do I proclaim to be a tanking god (I actually don't play my warrior much any more) but I never had any problems tanking on my warrior even in the bastard of an instance that is heroic SH. Pretty pathetic really that the solution is just to give everyone spammable aoe threat instead of everyone learning to play better.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    What might be interesting to note is that black and blue have permanent structures to substance a portal, while the rest are being created. Of course blue would have one (while its still being opened) since they live there, but does that mean Deathwing has been in northrend this entire time?

The visuals are quite compelling, I can't wait to see the encounters blizzard has made, I'm sure Malygoes will be awesome (wtf your floating on space?) and places like Ahn'Kahet look great.

Quote Originally Posted by kittynipples
    Hell, just being able to parry like every other animal in the game would be a good start :P

Quote Originally Posted by gnoop
    Hell, just being able to parry like every other animal in the game would be a good start :P

naw, if they give us parry they'd lower our dodge from agi, since we're balanced around what we have. if they gave us parry we'd have to worry about 2 stats for avoidance, and have to stack either parry rating or defense to get both parry and dodge, when now we can just stack agi which is a much better option for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Teli
    Is it just me or is the very first picture looking like a smiley/face, with legs and horns or something? (Dont zoom in on it - look at it at a distance)
    Umm... they're rhinos?

Guess you clicked on it/zoomed in. I meant the purple thingy. Use your imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus
    One of the bosses in this game is a god called Al'ar (pron: al'lah) who spawns an endless supply of minions who explode when they die. I think Muslims have greater concerns than whether or not Shadow Word: Death fulfils the requirements of halal.

One of the best rogues I know occasionally raided in blue gear or with no talent spec just to remind everyone that player skill often has a much bigger impact on your contribution to a raid than anything else. I know it's easy for anyone to drag out antecdotes that nobody else can validate, but it's worth keeping in mind.
    Either the dev is incredibly stupid or he just proved (indirectly/directly dependent on perspective) how strong rogues are. Let's throw a hunter or lock into a raid with no talents and see how much of an "impact" they have on the raid.

The only way this could work is if by "impact" he means not dying, but I doubt it.
    BAMF.