Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Change heal spell school to frost please...

Quote Originally Posted by Guran
    I laughed at the comparison with Paladins. Tell me, how many DPS casts does a Paladin have? Avenger Shield is the only one I can think of, and let's not forget Paladins actually have a spell to make themselves immune to interrupt mechanics as well as one that reduces spell lockdown time. (That's bubble & conc aura for the less informed btw)
    You know absolutely nothing about Holy Paladins, do you?

If a Paladin gets interrupted, he can't cast anything. No bubble, no stun, no holy shock, no seals, no judgements, no nothing.

Bubble is awful, all it does is make you a target once it's up, and Imp Conc Aura is pretty worthless in terms of how much shorter it makes interrupts. It's a nice thing to have, but it won't save you in emergencies.

If a Shaman gets interrupted, he can drop totems (in the expansion, obviously), and he can use two of his shocks. I'm not very familiar with shaman spells, but I'm sure there's more they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Guran
    I laughed at the comparison with Paladins. Tell me, how many DPS casts does a Paladin have? Avenger Shield is the only one I can think of, and let's not forget Paladins actually have a spell to make themselves immune to interrupt mechanics as well as one that reduces spell lockdown time. (That's bubble & conc aura for the less informed btw)
    and i laugh at your misinformed rebuttal.

conc aura: only reduces duration of lockdown time when improved. shaman are able to get a similar ability through the epic neck from heroic blood furnace. otherwise when conc aura is active unimproved, it only reduces the chance for spell pushback.

spiritual focus: reduces spell pushback only, and only while casting heal spells.

bubble: this does not reduce pushback or interrupt duration, it merely makes you immune to damaging effects that causes the pushback or interrupt, therefore preventing such. not to mention this ability is on a 5 minute cooldown, causes gcd, and has a 1 minute recast prevention debuff.  just as with any other ability, its a cooldown.  its really no different than a mage using ap pom pyro.  if you dont use your cooldowns, you need to relevel another class or train yourself to use them.

avenger's shield: this spell has such a short cast time, if you can manage to cause on interrupt on a paladin casting this spell, i commend you.  unless mods are involved, seeing the palli cast, moving to your interrupt button, clicking it, and barring game and server lag, you've gotta pretty much have superspeed to stop that cast intentionally.  secondly, this ability is deep prot spec.  fighting a palli with this spell is like coming across a prot warrior in pvp, its rare... let alone with him having enough spell damage to actually make the spell hit worth a damn.  most likely he's full prot gear, with no resil, and very little +dmg.  

now: much like the shaman, the paladin's abilities are all lumped into one school, the holy school. (as with shaman there are one or two instances of spells outside of the school, but only a fair few).  this means that should a interrupt, or lockdown effect occur  THE ENTIRE tree is locked down. so if a paladin is interrupted, he cannot use any of his abilities until the lockdown has ended.  that includes bubble.

the same applies to shaman. a well timed earthshock or counterspell locks down the whole tree and prevents any spell in the school from being cast until the lockdown duration has worn off.

reasons for this:
    initially, the shaman and paladin class were both counterparts, designed and balanced with each other to combat each other and have similar strengths and weaknesses.  putting all the abilities in one spell school was a blizzard intended design "flaw".  ment to give a common weakness to both classes.  

while both classes are now available to both factions, removing this flaw would require extensive retuning and rebalancing of both classes, which while it would pose obvious and immediate benefits to the classes, you would likely see counterproductive nerfs to the class to compensate for the change.  so believe me, you really do not want that to happen.  

not only these reasons, having all the spells together gives a hybrid class a distinct disadvantage vs a pure class.  if they have one school locked down, they cant just heal up when its over like the hybrid can, so they must be able to maintain some utility to overcome lost time of a lockdown.

@OP.  quite honestly thats the most rediculous thing i've heard.  and should that change go through, ill be the first one to be on that forum either complaining, or crying buff to paladins.  cause if you don't like it, i sure as hell dont like getting a 6 second imp counterspell when im trying to pvp heal and having to watch my friends or myself die while i can't do ANYTHING.  qq and go back to learning the class.

some suggestions to solve your problems:

1: realize that the spells are under the general school of "nature" which encompasses all of the 4 shamanistic elements.  so changing your healing spells to another school with only another name under the subcategory of "nature" seems like a moot point and a waste of time.
    2: a change such as this would open a can of worms with recategorizing spells to fit their general use of damage source.  in which cast, whut do you do with druid who use arcane damage, nature damage, nature healing, .... whutever do the buffs go under?, do you make subcategories for bleeds and for attacks in feral?.... shamans would have 5-6 categories of spell types and it would just be a rediculous nightmare, and not only that, defeat the purpose of having interrupt effects and lockdowns.
    3: go out and either duel players, or go engage in some bg or world pvp.  attempt to heal yourself vs classes with interrupts.  get so familiar with your class you can have an instinct of when they will make an interrupt effect (usually at crucial moments).
    4: once you have done or while you are doing step 3, practice, learn, get instructions from a veteran player on how to avoid interrupts.  whut abilities do you have that you can use to counter their moves? grounding totem, fake casting, range, line of sight.... etc.  all viable ways to avoid the interrupt or trick the enemy into wasting their ability without causing the effect on you.  

there are workarounds to almost every problem and situation.  learn the work arounds before you whine and complain because your skill lacks so much you can't counteract game mechanics of other classes and decide to blame it on the other classes or on poor design of your own.  

and if all of the above are too tough for you, reroll or go get a tissue.

of note: ive now finished leveling my 4th paladin to 60+ and soon to be 2nd to 70.  as well as 2 shamans to 70. hitting GM with one paladin, and rank 12 with the 1st shaman.  i know these classes very well and how to pvp with them.

Water type doesn't heal, it purifies poisons and diseases, etc.

Nature type however regenerates targets wounds.

End of discussion.

Instead arguing about how shaman was intended to be hybrid spellcaster-melee class (like Battlemage), you argue about things that will never be changed due to reasons I wrote above.