Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Can some explain Prot and PvP to an ignorant person please.

I was begining to think the above poster had a point; then I double checked the Prot skills.

Avenger's Shield does require shields, and Hammer of righteousness requires a one handed melee weapon, no 200 dps brutes. It would have been cool if that worked, though.

Where does Hammer of Righteous ever say it requires one handed weapons?
    Your signature is too big, please read the rules.
    It is not a paladin's quest to tank, to heal, or to dish out the damage.
    Instead, the paladin’s quest is to win, by the light, using any means possible.

If you check the tool tip, and not just the description of what it does, it tells you that it requires a one-handed melee weapon, costs 6% of base mana etc.

Well, hot damn. That took the wind outta my sails... Consider my post soundly defeated. Even with a slow Fury type 1her, its not gunna nearly be as close...

Bah! Think of the possibilities if it was 2handed!
    Your signature is too big, please read the rules.
    It is not a paladin's quest to tank, to heal, or to dish out the damage.
    Instead, the paladin’s quest is to win, by the light, using any means possible.

as prot paladin i can win duels against:

* rogues 95% of the time
    * fury warriors 95% of the time
    * enhancement shammies 50% of the time (shocks, run away heals gets me)
    * anything else less than 5%

holy shield + ret aura = enough reactive damage to kill dual wielders and COMPLETELY eliminate incoming damage. hits for 750 with 500 block rating are just lol.

Keep in mind that in Wrath, protadins convert STA into SP, and PvP gear is just dripping with STA, so while they may not have the burst potential of a shockadin or the crit chance of a retadin, they will have massive mitigation, health and a reasonably sized dps, especially as compared with TBC.

That said, Wrath is also introducing the ability to toggle between two specs, so you'll almost certainly be able to select ret or holy as your PvP specs if you prefer.

Edit: Wrath->TBC typo correction
    WoW: Founder <Saturnalia>, Norgannon
    Rift: Mev <Ascended of Corthana>, Faeblight
    Gaming articles

I don't know, I was doing just fine in EoTS in Flag running and holding bases easily enough, sure I don't do crap for DPS. But there are usually enough noobs who see that rank1 consecrate and try and beat on me. We make perfect "Hey come try and kill me if you can" targets.

In AV, yeah, I think I solo tanked all of Drek's room with 1 healer for about 2 minutes till the DPS caught up on the speed run.

Our biggest weakness are 1) Casters and 2) CC/Fearbomb.

lol in AV the other day i had a rogue that tried to kill me for about 5 mins before he gave up. i could have killed him but it was just so funny cause he never even attempted to get behind me even during his stuns.

anyways prot pvp for me at least = flag running, aggravating melee, tanking drek, and if the enemy casters are not paying attention you can ususlly aoe zergs pretty well

As others have Prot tanks are currently only good in PvP against Melee only enemies and you are only good against them when they are attacking you.

I feel tanks are the only archetype in the game were there hasn't been an attempt to make them viable for PvP. I understand people don't like the idea of tanks outputing lots of damage and thats fine, after all you chose to be a defender of the people however the problem is its more or less impossible to defend other people in PvP.

There is a couple of ways to deal with this that spring to mind

1. Give Tanks the ability to become solid thus blocking doorways, getting in the way of enemies attacking friends and blocking lines of site.

or

2. In PvP gives those around the tank a defensive bonus

or

3. whenever you are not being attacted, Every time a friendly target near you takes damage you gain a stacking offensive damage buff that lasts for 15 seconds or so. That way you someone has to attack you otherwise you will get harder to defeat, this would also help to snap back aggro in PvE
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Ok - I have a Ret pally and a Prot pally. I do LOVE the Ret pally DPS in the BGs. Prot can be more challenging. Everything said here is valid so far. That being said, one thing that hasnt been mentioned is that you can HEAL. It almost doesnt matter for how much, when a group sees you healing your allies, they target you instead - which is exactly what you want them to do. Perfect! One trick I use: Dont throw your shield at them first - then they know your heals suck, throw off heals and cleanse, stand stupidly in front - absorb the stuns, dps, cooldowns, whatever - getting attention is the job of the prot pally. Then go to tank mode when they attack you. BTW - i have found the engineering stunning grenades to be extremely valuable for surviving longer in BGs. It would be more satisfying if there were a stat in the BG for 'Damage Mitigated' or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Basutai
    The ability to "toggle specs" refers to your ability to purchase a respec and not have to deliver the talent points by hand, instead auto-placing them into a predetermined spec you have chosen.
    Source? As far as I know, all that's been said is:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    “We talked about this recently at the Worldwide Invitational actually. We are looking into allowing players to basically have two talent specs that they can switch between but we are still working out the exact details so we will have to wait and see exactly how it will function in-game.”
    That doesn't actually say what you claimed it said, and no, I had not assumed that it would be free. Then again 50g isn't all that much in TBC and in WotLK it might be hubcap money.

WoW: Founder <Saturnalia>, Norgannon
    Rift: Mev <Ascended of Corthana>, Faeblight
    Gaming articles

Volutio: Dropping Rank1 Consecrate (though nerfed in WotLK) was is one of the best methods of going "Hey look a pally, lets kill it."

Deleted

Prot paladins are THE killing weapon against rogues. Most rogues don't know how to take a prot paladin down so I end up beating them to a pulp without taking almost any damage. And that with me in pve gear, even. Also, no matter whether I use pve or pvp gear I take very much better geared warriors down, too, without much sweat. Against casters I have nothing to use really, but being like the freaking Great wall of China against melee is kinda fun

prot warrior VS prot pally is hilarious

all the physical damage is negated, so the prot warrior can only hurt the prot pally with rend, and all the prot pally's holy damage goes through with just a touch of mitigation.

it still takes forever, but it's really really funny how one sided it is.

Maenetus: Judge him with Light and it's a one sides fight. With HS up and stacking SoV the warrior dies easily, not the mention he's beating himself to death on the shield.

Deleted

wotlk prot pala aint that bad, im still prot spec atm and i do a fair amount of dmg, and maybe more important, i can stay alive even better...

use
    - Blessing of Sanc, less dmg taken and keeps your mana up against melee..
    - Shield of Righteousness with a nice epic shield+blockvalue enchant for 6k crits (4sec CD)
    - Hammer of the Righteous with a weapon you ninja'ed of a dps class, nice rogue or warrior weapon with high dps will do
    - Toughed by the Light talent for 12k+ crit heals every now and then
    - and Sacred Shield for nice non-bubble immune for 500 dmg every 6 secs + 50% crit change of FoL is always nice.
    - are you in mana props and is hp np,, just pop Divine Plea and say hi to your free mana.

i aint saying you will pwn in pvp like this,, but it is certainly a improvement...

if you only got tank gear and your are willing to spec prot for pvp,, i would use http://thottbot.com/paladin/t#E3/gnspmX,T9/E2 but any basic tank spec will do.

Old topic is old.