1. #1

    Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Dunno I'm just wondering I haven't seen any Defense gear with Spell power on it ... I mean i keep seeing Sta. and Str. on gear with defense and parry w/e but none with per say... Sta. Int. SP and Defense... am i missing something ? will we no longer need SP to tank ? or yeah what's going on I'm seriously confused ... thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Last I read about prot paladins, come WOTLK they will no longer need their own spell power set, but rather they can use the same gear warrior/death knights do.
    This user has been banned.

  3. #3

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Touched by Light.

    It be great if people would do some investigating of their own instead of rushing over to the forums asking silly questions.


    [size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

  4. #4

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Gear unification

    there are only three types of plate

    DPS -- str, crit, hit, haste, expertise, stam, arp
    Tanking -- stam, str, hit, expertise, defense, dodge, parry
    Healing -- SP, int, stam, crit, haste, mp5

    you're not even likely to see any blocking rating or value on tanking plate since we share it with deathknights.

  5. #5

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    Touched by Light.

    It be great if people would do some investigating of their own instead of rushing over to the forums asking silly questions.
    Touched by Light is a boost, but keep in mind that it's an innate feature of paladins that all of our damaging abilities benefit from both AP and SP. Thus, we can stack STR gear and actually get more benefit from it than raw SP due to the side effect of white damage increase, which we didn't gear for in BC because it would have meant lowering our +dmg or +def.

    WoW: Founder <Saturnalia>, Norgannon
    Rift: Mev <Ascended of Corthana>, Faeblight
    Gaming articles

  6. #6

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    Touched by Light.

    It be great if people would do some investigating of their own instead of rushing over to the forums asking silly questions.
    Second that sir!

    Strength is the key stat in my honest opinion. Going off information from a friend in the beta...strength for the AP and block value gives paladins more return per stat value than any other..

    Stack strength and stam...tankadins will be tanking till their shields shatter and the world of men comes crashing down.... (lol)

    also Paladins can now say "Strength and Honour" as well we will be strong :P

    edit: grammar

    Armoury Link

    Nil desperandum! Always follow the Light

  7. #7

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    While Strenght is getting a nice boost, it's not the godly statistic some of you seem to think it is.

    Strenght will still come in fourth after Stamina, Defense and Block Rating so do not expect to be tanking with an insane amount of Strenght stacked because that is not going to happen.


    [size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

  8. #8

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    By nature (looking at the loot tables) tanking gear comes with strength. Yes you wont be aiming for strength purely as you say, it will still be there along with defence and block value... ive yet to have seen any block rating on gear.. unless ive missed some loot tables since this morning.

    So I still say strength is a very valuable stat to get hold of.. as it affects both mitigation and threat capactity. whilst defence is pure mitigation, with stamina falling into the same category of strength affecting both survivability and threat.

    Armoury Link

    Nil desperandum! Always follow the Light

  9. #9

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    and once again heal-pallys will be the only ones with loot noone else will want to touch.. :
    Greetings Undead. Wonderful day to be alive, isn't it?

  10. #10

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenark
    and once again heal-pallys will be the only ones with loot noone else will want to touch.. :
    Or I'll nick it for off healing in raids... being a tankadin and all :P

    Armoury Link

    Nil desperandum! Always follow the Light

  11. #11

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    I withhold speculation untill we see the first Ret and Prot T7 peices. (which I bet come with some spellpower as well as Str.)

  12. #12

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    While Strenght is getting a nice boost, it's not the godly statistic some of you seem to think it is.

    Strenght will still come in fourth after Stamina, Defense and Block Rating so do not expect to be tanking with an insane amount of Strenght stacked because that is not going to happen.
    Dude, you tell people to research before asking silly questions yet you can't spell the word Strength. Sad.

  13. #13

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Dookie
    Dude, you tell people to research before asking silly questions yet you can't spell the word Strength. Sad.
    Aye, because being lazy and spamming random forum posts with questions that you could have answered yourself with some logical deduction or investigation is the same as missspelling one single word.

    God some of you trolls are hilarious.


    [size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

  14. #14

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenark
    and once again heal-pallys will be the only ones with loot noone else will want to touch.. :
    DPS DK will probably want the spell power plate as well.

  15. #15

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Glyph
    DPS DK will probably want the spell power plate as well.
    ... because they don't scale by AP only /sarcasmoff
    Hìdden on EU-Blackrock

  16. #16

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    All paladin non-healing spells and abilities scale with attack power too as well as spell power. (Consec, seals, judgements, etc.)
    Correlation does not imply causation.

  17. #17

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Dookie
    Dude, you tell people to research before asking silly questions yet you can't spell the word Strength. Sad.
    The fail is strong with this one.

    But regarding healing plate - yeap, some tankadins may want to take a piece or two for int perhaps. But still, will be very low demand comparatively to, say, cloth.
    Served steaming hot, right out of the waffle grill. With just the right amount of STFU poured on top.

  18. #18

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    He meant that he might pick up some healing gear to switch to FoL spam when he doesn't need to tank...
    Correlation does not imply causation.

  19. #19

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    While Strenght is getting a nice boost, it's not the godly statistic some of you seem to think it is.

    Strenght will still come in fourth after Stamina, Defense and Block Rating so do not expect to be tanking with an insane amount of Strenght stacked because that is not going to happen.
    I don't think anyone here is expecting their tanking gear to have, oh, 150 strength or anything like that on it.

    However, in terms of itemization, it really is one of the "big 3" stats that tanking items have on them: Strength, Stamina, and Defense. Check any of the tanking items that have thus far dropped (or are craftable) in WotlK: Those are the big 3 stats, with many items havin JUST those 3 on them. Some items have a little bit of parry, dodge, and even straight block value here and there, but the items that seem to have actual block RATING on them as of now are, you guessed it, shields.

    I'd say that tanking right when you hit 80 with an "insane amount" of strength is absolutely possible considering the gear that's out now, and considering just how big of a change this is for us. In fact, thinking of some items I'll want at 80...Daunting Legplates? 50 strength. Crusader's Square Pauldrons? 50 strength. Slaughterhouse Boots? 50 strength. Not to mention the epic BS BoE helm which is, I think, over 60 strength.

  20. #20

    Re: Defense AND Spellpower plate ???

    Please keep two things in mind Sartuk;

    - The increased Block Value from Strength is nothing if a tank does not block

    - Blocking still generates a large portion of a Protection Paladin's threat

    With these two things in mind I believe that we can conclude that Block Rating is still needed in fairly high quantities, and thus will more than likely still feature the tier 7/8/x tanking items.


    IMO Strength should not be a statistic that any tank should actively pursue, but rather have it stack up casually while looking for Stamina, Defence and Block Rating.

    Especially not a Protection Paladin. Any Paladin hoarding Strength just to increase his or her spellpower should go back to the "Tanking, your statistics and you." bootcamp.


    [size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •