Thread: Moonkin in WoLK

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Moonkin in WoLK

Trying to get some feedback from people on beta about a few things people might be seeing. I have read a lot of the patch notes that may or may not come. My questions are are we seeing any better gear options in WoLK? Since day one in WOW the moonkin has gotten the least gear imo, so i'm curious if it looks as if they are making any attempt to remedy that. like are we going to get any high end leather casting gear? As much as i love our cloth ripoffs I am hoping Blizz throws us a bit more of a bone this time around, cause right now it seems that unless we get tier pieces or the lower badge gear we dont have anything else as far as high end instance/raid drops.
    My second question has do do with our CC. It looks as if Shamans may get Hex, similar to sheep, and all we are getting is indoor roots. I am aware we have hibernate, cyclone (which is worthless in PVE imo), and roots, but with hibernate being limited on mob types and root being a snare I dont really see the big deal about us getting to use it indoors. Or are we seeing a lot more beasts in WoLK instances/raids? If not i think we are getting the shaft yet again as blizz is about to make us the only caster type without solid CC.

Re: Moonkin in WoLK

Ok this is what I know so far from Beta trolling:

As for boomkin leather we will now be able to share some with resto druids. Imagine say T6 chest, restos would socket with +spellpower while a boomkin might socket +hit/spellpower or pure +hit. And for the other pieces like rings and such you'll get more hit and such as needed. One thing to note: Balance of Power will be giving you 4% hit, and Imp Fierie Fire will give you another 3%. 7% hit baked in is pretty sexy. [Unconfirmed] I haven't found anywhere that confirmed it but several casters I raid with mentioned something about spellhit needs being dropped to 9% hit needed, thus that would leave a boomkin 2% hit to makeup. At 70 that would be like 52 hit. Easy to get on rings/neck/cloak alone. Might need a socket or two.

As for CC: Roots is going indoor and will break less as it will have a certian ( currently undefined ) number of damage thta once done will break. Cyclone will not have Diminish ( from what I understand ) in the *PVE* environment. And Hibernate will still be situational like it currently is. A boomkin in 5mans will be nice as they can CC 2 targets, and a resto should be able to help too. Very nice.

Thinks are looking good to me my featherery breathern.

Well, I have a Moonkin on the beta - and while the CC addition is useless (I suggested changing Force of Nature to a Lasher morph btw), the change in Moonkin Form is awesome.

Crit = 2% Mana... Hurricane ticks can crit.. <3

And the gear seems great as far as I see. It doesnt yet replace my gear, but if you havent raiding majorly in TBC, you will get a huge increase in gear early 70s.

Why is the CC useless? Is roots still breaking on 1st tick or cyclone still getting DR?

-sc

Cyclone is just waaay to short.

And I don't think the Roots are enough. Well, unless you use the glyph for it (I havent had the opportunity to try it yet.

"Useless" is probably overreacting a bit, but I think they should add something like.. 4sec more to Cyclone

Even if the DR on cyclone is gone, how viable can it be if we have to keep it up every 6 seconds... And i love the indoor roots concept just as much as anyone but i'm sure there will be too many times where mob X in instance X will be immune to it, but I hope someone can tell me otherwise.

Yea I agree its not a fire and forget CC like Poly is. The biggest issue I have with it is that you cannot 'refresh' it like you can with normal CCs. And I see Cyclone as basicly the 2nd target you control just long enough to get 1st kill target down then tank moves onto it.

-sc

Quote Originally Posted by Accolade83
    Even if the DR on cyclone is gone, how viable can it be if we have to keep it up every 6 seconds... And i love the indoor roots concept just as much as anyone but i'm sure there will be too many times where mob X in instance X will be immune to it, but I hope someone can tell me otherwise.
    I will go check it as soon as the server works again.

On the CC subject: imo, the entangling change is EXTREMELY important for resto/balance druids, specially for the last. The "you provide no CC" excuse doesn't applies anymore, AND it can be useful on every kind of instance, from 5-mans to raids (you may lack mages for sheeps, who knows). Entangling can keep a melee mob at bay for 40s, and even if it's a caster, using creative pulls (aka. LoS) can make entangling as good as sheep in this case.

Mobs resisting/being immune to ER? They might as well be to all other forms of CCs.

Cyclone is situational, but using it I saved DPSs - and my own leafy rear, as I'm resto - several times. Think on a mage pulling aggro or a tank forgetting to tag {triangle} and it coming straight to your healer. To save the target, a mage would frost nova, a hunter would scatter shot / intimidate / wing clip, a lock would death coil, a druid would cyclone, etc. In time: it's nothing to sneeze at.

I honestly don't see a reason to frown upon our CC capabilities. It's not a hunter's trap, but even it has several drawbacks - getting resisted, expiring earlier, getting the mob hit too much, all of that while the cooldown is still down. Just be happy all our options are spammable - and now are <i>all</i> usable indoors.

I am :]

i dont know how the beta is for roots but as far as roots go in tbc they are pretty nice in the instances u can use them... ie: ZA. i use root all the time in ZA and it is pretty relyable as long as the target isnt getting hit... since they can and normally break on damage taken... like any cc. giving druids the ablitity to use them in all instances seems like a large uprade to me.
    GG GL HF

I see the CC topic gets a lot of attention here, lol. my problem with roots is that it is not reliable. Root is a snare (making it a CC that doesnt take a mob out of combat, which again would make us the only caster without a real CC. And cyclone is just an "Oh S$#@" spell imo) and many mobs are immune, but outside of that it gives off its own damage in ticks, which causes it to break itself constantly. Has anyone seen or have good input on how they have changed this? if this hasnt really changed i dont see us getting a CC invite for runs becuase who wants a class that has a CC that works occasionally, lol.
    As far as rooting in ZA, i've found that it has little use outside of maybe the initial grab of Scouts otw to the Dragonhawk, just cause other mobs need to go down fast and the mobs that really need the CC in ZA are the casters, which roots does nothing against.
    And my gear question is more along the lines of high end stuff for those of you with more input, just in case you wanted to tell me about the gear we might get from 70-79. I say this because in BC we had a good little arrangement of gear from 60-69 and then had nothing in the end. I read the post on us sharing gear with resto druids, and i see a problem brewing. While most of the stats may be shared, restos have no need for crit, and we have a large need for it, so how could we share most of it? unless we are getting items with 5 sockets, lol.
    Oh and yes i love the new imp moonkin, sounds great. I do see possible problems there too though. I think mana regen is going to be a bigger deal in WoLK cause all the spells are %mana based now, I dont know how bad or good that is in beta, but i dont want to be oomkins again. (ex: hurricane uses 81% of base mana) Anyone in beta having problems with it, or can explain it more? The other problem i see is a raid/party only ever running with 1 moonkin. I know that it is very rare now that 2 or more moonkins would ever be invited together, but i think it would be nice to feathered friends in a raid, and with the new moonkin it doesnt look like there would be a point.

Oh and a side question for beta folks...

How sick and wrong is a hurricane, typhoon AOE combo?

Entangling breaking early? By its own damage? Maybe it's because I don't have much spell dmg on my healing gear, but when farming/doing quests I root & forget sometimes.

It's way, WAY more reliable than fear... And I have a lv70 lock to back this statement up :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chizzlechest
    I see the CC topic gets a lot of attention here, lol. my problem with roots is that it is not reliable. Root is a snare (making it a CC that doesnt take a mob out of combat, which again would make us the only caster without a real CC. And cyclone is just an "Oh S$#@" spell imo) and many mobs are immune, but outside of that it gives off its own damage in ticks, which causes it to break itself constantly. Has anyone seen or have good input on how they have changed this? if this hasnt really changed i dont see us getting a CC invite for runs becuase who wants a class that has a CC that works occasionally, lol.
    As far as rooting in ZA, i've found that it has little use outside of maybe the initial grab of Scouts otw to the Dragonhawk, just cause other mobs need to go down fast and the mobs that really need the CC in ZA are the casters, which roots does nothing against.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. As long as the mob is not getting hit (same as any CC) roots is more than good enough. Has been that way in every outdoor instance both in vanilla and in BC.

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo
    You have no idea what you are talking about. As long as the mob is not getting hit (same as any CC) roots is more than good enough. Has been that way in every outdoor instance both in vanilla and in BC.
    Unless it can cast spells.
    This user has been banned.

Oh and a side question for beta folks...

How sick and wrong is a hurricane, typhoon AOE combo?

Starfall -> Typhoon -> Barksin + Hurricane = Amazing.

but outside of that it gives off its own damage in ticks, which causes it to break itself constantly. Has anyone seen or have good input on how they have changed this? if this hasnt really changed i dont see us getting a CC invite for runs becuase who wants a class that has a CC that works occasionally, lol.
    Most CCs now break on a set amount of damage, that includes ER
    If in doubt afk out

01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110011 01110101 01100011 01101011

Deleted

Just to correct some of the things i've seen : on the current beta, hit cap is still at 16% and there is still DR on Cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo
    /sigh
    maybe you haven't rooted many things, but roots break on the first tick of there own damage a lot. (as they are the only snare i know of that gives off its own damage) and yes i am talking about when they aren't being hit by anything else. So my question is more, have they changed the effectiveness of our snare? again i think it has to do with the fact that it is a snare ability and not a poly or mind control. I'm just wondering if it will be on par with with thing like poly and seduce as far a reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffed Warrior!
    Most CCs now break on a set amount of damage, that includes ER
    any details on this?

and what are the glyphs for ER? and is there one for increased duration on Cyclone? that would be handy.

Deleted

maybe you haven't rooted many things, but roots break on the first tick of there own damage a lot.
    While it can happen, saying it happens a lot is not true: as a moonkin i've always reliably rooted stuff and have it hold for a good part of the duration (unless i started nuking it).