Page 1 of 3
LastLast

DoTs are probably gunna get scaling. Blue Post.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=2000&pageNo=3

Taken from the beta priest forum, jesus. ;/

EDIT: But it probably won't be for a few more builds considering they have to re-work the spells completely and it takes time.

Re: DoTs are probably gunna get scaling. Blue Post.

It's a step to the front...FINALLY!

warlocks get cool stuff...then it gets taken away

Aerv

Mf isnt' a Dot ^^

Or are you refering to:

Please tell me you're going to give Affliction similar treatment.
    Something similar, yes.

MF is a channeled dot.

... WOOOT, there's something at the bottom of pandora's box.

i dont think MF is a dot... its more like arcane missiles.
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    i dont think MF is a dot... its more like arcane missiles.
    It will be, since AM can crit.

On live, MF is effectively a channeled DoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodysorc
    It will be, since AM can crit.

On live, MF is effectively a channeled DoT.
    indeed..
    but one thing bothers me.. i hope they aren't going to change drain life to this new "mechanic" that wouldn't help affliction one bit..

and since our primary nuke can already crit..
    they will really have to give us a similar talent to the wandering plague death knight have gotten

If mindflay can crit drain life and drain mana should

omg i can see the QQs now

DoT= Damage over Time, mindflay is like a drain life on steroids without the life. Arcane missile causes pushback, crits on ticks and each tick is considered an individual cast for spell reflect/resist mechanics.

mmhh ye dot crits would be very nice but think even if they'r gonna give it to affly i'll go for drain soul more then drain life

Don't know if we should be happy or just sceptical because after all everyone knows that channelled spells are definitely the bottom of the "food chain" when it comes to cost vs reward ratio, since there disadvantages are equally (if not more) known as there advantages.

Anyway i am in a good tonight and because the Longest Journeys Start with a Single Step, perhaps there is still hope

You should be happy. You should be

so

happy.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

So, who wants to take bets on which dots are going to get the crittable treatment? I'm going with the old standby of Corruption.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

Well, that could be amusing. Rend crit ticks setting off deep wounds? Deep wounds setting itself off? Lulz.

(Yes, I know things most likely won't work that way)
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

I don't see why all dots shouldn't crit.

My bet is on shadow embrace being procced on dot crits and drain soul getting a rework. (ie bandage fix)

Quote Originally Posted by Furs
    I don't see why all dots shouldn't crit.
    Because most of them are instant while still having a 100% coefficient. No crits and no instant damage is the cost you pay for a high coefficient on dots.

Removing them still costs time & mana to do it though, and health if you hit unstable affliction. Besides, not every class can dispel them, but guess that's just your arena setup.

I agree that the scaling being limited to SP & hit is far from optimal, but I was merely trying to point out the fact that the lack of critting was to counter the extra coefficient they have compared to other 'direct' damage casts. Simply letting each tick being able to crit would provide a major DPS boost and would cause some serious PVP imbalance towards classes that can't dispel, unless you can fiddle around with Resilience enough.

vague line of text means criting dots? in response to a channeled spell being more scalabe?
    Shadow priests are in much different boat, they don't have any nuke spell and none of their spells scale with crit ones that do have cooldowns and talents that give them huge percentages of it already.
    It doesn't say dots will crit at all, what could be done is add talents to straight convert crit to straight damage for dots.
    It'd be better for scaling if the game just took all DoT's and took your crit percentage divided it back into crit rating and added it to the dots as a baseline mechanic.

Making them crit brings alot of things into play like critting a lot of times at once which would effect some procs.

Channelled spells are at the end of the day channelled spells, every damage dealing spell is essentially a damage over time because they do damage within a timeframe.
    So we have channeled spells that got crit for scaling reasons here...
    Quote Originally Posted by CKaz
    @Guran

yes and no, mostly no
    most can be removed w/o damage, and mitigated more easily - you have some time

they've been chopping away at our +dmg/coefficients for awhile now (e.g. talents to get them back up...)
    the problem remains any haste/crit has pretty much been entirely wasted on the DoT line-up to date
    haste lowers cooldowns wtf should it effect dot instants specifically as well as it does the same thing for direct instant casts that's flawed thinking, crit is what you lose only, which clearly with warlocks topping damage for casters must of sucked so much.

A dispel is basically a heal a HoT making them run out of mana just like casting a heal maybe not as fast in some cases but in others faster and that's just how it goes with diversity.
    Healers can outheal mitigate and avoid direct damage aswell you try landing a bolt when a pillars available, a direct instant with bad coefficient aint really that great and if they were destro would be the pvp spec atm.
    crit would more then likely lower dot impact in PVP, as resilience would cut them 3 times and they would likely lose their damage coefficient scaling on account of critting.
    But it the crit added straight to damage you get cut once not that probable 4 times thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guran
    Removing them still costs time & mana to do it though, and health if you hit unstable affliction. Besides, not every class can dispel them, but guess that's just your arena setup.

I agree that the scaling being limited to SP & hit is far from optimal, but I was merely trying to point out the fact that the lack of critting was to counter the extra coefficient they have compared to other 'direct' damage casts. Simply letting each tick being able to crit would provide a major DPS boost and would cause some serious PVP imbalance towards classes that can't dispel, unless you can fiddle around with Resilience enough.
    This is ridiculous. Are you in beta currently? Priests (all types) get utterly destroyed by basically all classes. Mind flay critting or even getting 100% coefficient is not going to make any difference at all.