Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Moonkin shot rotation

So with the talent

Eclipse

When you critically hit with Starfire, you have a 60% chance of increasing damage done by Wrath by 10%. When you critically hit with Wrath, you have a 60% chance of increasing your critical strike chance with Starfire by 10%. Effect lasts 30 sec and has a 2 min cooldown.

So would the max dps rotation for raid bosses be starfire spam till proc, then spam wrath?

then go back to starfire if ya got mana problems.. and if not keep spaming wrath?

Re: Moonkin shot rotation

At the moment there is no reason to take eclipse, it has a 2 minute internal cooldown making it a waste of points in its current state.

but for 30 sec increases you wrath by 10% isnt it worth it?

The only viable strat with Eclipse would be to wrath spam till you got the starfire proc, but its most likely still a waste of mana. Im no theorycrafter, though, and i dont know what mana problems, if any, moonkins will have a 80, so i couldn't actually tell you.

Deleted

As for a level 70 moonkin (read patch 3.0) I would start with wrath till eclipse procs and then moonfire and spam starfire, that would increase the crit chace by 13%, counting a fire mage scorching with extra 10% would bring me up to extra 23% crit. WIth my normal 37% crit in raids im looking into 60% chance on crit what would make me very happy in the pants. Since i already got 13% haste from gear and with the new talents extra 6% haste (up to 9% with a shaman in party) thats 22% haste making starfire go to 2.45 cast time and 1.95 after a crit. MOonkin love inc

Too bad nature's grace has a negative impact from haste. It gets counted first, so your haste is counted for a spell 0.5 secs shorter and the effect of the two combined is lower.

E.g. 10% haste 3 second cast time = 2.7 cast time
    10% haste and nature's grace = 2.25
    If NG worked differently it would be= 2.2

So once you get high haste, you'll hardly notice NG anymore.
    My math can be a little off, I suck at theorycrafting. But it's a fact haste and NG don't work well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Maaikie
    As for a level 70 moonkin (read patch 3.0) I would start with wrath till eclipse procs and then moonfire and spam starfire, that would increase the crit chace by 13%, counting a fire mage scorching with extra 10% would bring me up to extra 23% crit. WIth my normal 37% crit in raids im looking into 60% chance on crit what would make me very happy in the pants. Since i already got 13% haste from gear and with the new talents extra 6% haste (up to 9% with a shaman in party) thats 22% haste making starfire go to 2.45 cast time and 1.95 after a crit. MOonkin love inc
    It doesn't stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghrim
    It doesn't stack.
    What exactly doesn't stack? There are a lot of spells and abilities mentioned in his post, yet I can't see any (except NG from my previous post) that don't stack.

First of all mages give 10% spellcrit ( imp scorch or the frost thiny.) = 10%
    Eclipse is a talent we moonkin have, it has a chance to buff the starfire crit chance by 10% for 30 seconds every 2 minutes. = 20%
    Improved insect swarm is a moonkin talent, if you use mf and starfire together it give a 3% crit bonus = 23%

So nope don't know what you're talking about, please enlighten us morrons.

Deleted

The haste does stack too anyway.

Deleted

The haste from imp moonkin aura doesnt stack with WoA toten I know, but the totem is 6% and moonkins have a 3% passive haste, NOT the one from moonkin aura, and that one DOES stack, so it is 9% haste. And as far as NG goes, well, has nothing to do with as more haste you get, it just calculates as a 2.5 spell, like shadowbolts does, so while NG is up we have the same haste stacking as warlocks do, when its not up, we got the same on as fire mages do. Just cause its 2.5 doesnt mean its still good, even elemental shamans with a 2.0 sec cast are stacking haste and it does pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by joshzoladz
    but for 30 sec increases you wrath by 10% isnt it worth it?
    30s out of 2 mins, only 1/4 of time at best, that means like 2,5% dmg increase, prolly not worth it, some tweaks better occur sooner or later or noone will want it

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Maaikie
    The haste from imp moonkin aura doesnt stack with WoA toten I know, but the totem is 6% and moonkins have a 3% passive haste, NOT the one from moonkin aura, and that one DOES stack, so it is 9% haste.
    Moonkins get haste from : Celestial Focus (3%), IMkA or talented Retribution Aura(3%) and Wrath of Air Totems (5%).
    They all stack, giving a total of 11% haste from constant buffs.

Which spell you will use, will have to be calculated AFTER blizzards big "Number pass".

There are some different scenarios:
    a) one spell is clearly superior (>10%) then you will never utilize eclipse and the other spell
    b) one spell is slightly superior (2%-10%) then you will still use that one spell and spent your eclipse points elsewhere or you will put one point in eclipse and change to the other spell if it happens to proc.
    c) both spells do equal damage: you put 3 points in eclipe and change upon procc.
    unfortunately the spells do not scale equally (different base crit, different spell damage coefficents per casttime, different interaction with natures grace) so case c) will only be true for very specific gear compositions.

So it seems as Eclipse will be changed (this was already announced by blue) but i fear that they set the procc rate to fixed 60% and make the damage portion scale with talent points (so that the third talent point is not weaker than the 1st as it is now)... In that case you would only take it for scenario c)

hi,

i've got some kind of theorycrafting-question to all moonkins out there.

i'm coming along with about 10% haste on equip and with all new talents i get additional 6% => 16% haste

with starlight wrath fully specced, i will cast wrath in about 1.25sec.
    if now nature's grace procc comes up, will i fall below gcd?

as far as i know, gcd can be lowered to a minimum of 1 sec.
    so if i cast wrath in less than 1 sec, will i lose dps-time by being stuck in gcd?

one can say, cast wrath until NG proccs, then swith to SF, but in fact the delay between casting and realizing the NG procc, the next wrath spell is completed.

is there any other way of keeping full dps with wrath than not speccing starlight wrath or casting SF instead?

ps: sry for my bad english, schools been gone quite a long time :-*

Nature's Grace procs will lower the gcd of wrath to 1 sec, it used to say that but it probably hasn't changed just not mentioned anymore.
    So haste will be close to useless for a wrath rotation.

Deleted

Yes, you DO loose casting time if wrath falls under 1 sec casting time, mine i now falling sometimes into 0.8 seconds and i spend good time doing nothing.

Haste was intended to lower the GCD unless changed it should lower it .. checking for confirmation about that

True reduces the GCD down to 1sec only, nature's grace should grand an additional bonus !

So it seems as Eclipse will be changed (this was already announced by blue)
    I don't ever remember seeing this post, could you copy it or tell me where it is so I can look?
    Hope its true but I just didn't remember seeing it.

it is more useful for the raid boss rotation though

in which you spam more starfires....

and its not a bad thing to use with healing either.
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

ATM Wrath is greater then starfire in every way. No matter what you do. Wrath spam is better for DPS/DPM everything. More crits = more dmg = more mana.

If you want the numbers they are on the official forums somewhere. I'm to lazy to do the work for you

Eclipe is uselss and needs work