Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot gear change

Will current existing prot paladin gear change according to the new mechanics in next patch? T6 and such

Re: Prot gear change

probably not. at least i wouldnt expect them to however you never know. but being so close to wotlk comeing out i wouldnt be that concerned about it.

Considering all Enhancement Shaman gear was redesigned to adhere to the new AP Formula, it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    Since my post count is rougly 10x yours I'll give you a big STFU because I'm obviously your superior

They have said to be converting Spell damage / Healing done items to the spellpower system, so who knows? It's not like they have to do it by hand or anything.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

the crappy +spell hit will all turn into yummy +omni hit

Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    They have said to be converting Spell damage / Healing done items to the spellpower system, so who knows? It's not like they have to do it by hand or anything.
    NO, if they were to change the gear stats according to the new mechanic, it would be converting spell power to str.
    Not sure what they have plan for Int stats in the future for pally gear, but the situation between warrior tanking gear and paladin tanking gear will be very similar to rogue vs hunter (leather vs mail).

Let me elaborate farther, currently in Sunwell loot table, leather dps chest and pants are vastly superior to existing counter part of mail (that goes same for CVoS). This is mainly due to the fact dps leather gear doesn't come with int stat, instead redirecting to more useful stuff like armor pen or crit. Blizzard probably realized the shortcoming and gave hunters secondary use for int other than mere mana pool: talent Careful Aim http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=34484.

I'm "assuming" here that T7 will most likely come with int resulting more spread out itemization like hunters, now I hope devs can foresee this and work on to make int something "more" than just increasing mana pool, other wise pally counter part of tanking gear will be inferior to warrior version in terms of threat/avoidance. Sure you will always have choice to go for warrior version off set pieces but I highly doubt it'll be available for every slots.

If they fail to see this, but realize later, it's likely to be bandaided with set bonus imo and what not.

you will never see even a single point of int on WotLK tanking gear.

there's no point. No smart tank would ever gear for int. Plate with int would only serve as a newbie trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenetus
    you will never see even a single point of int on WotLK tanking gear.

there's no point. No smart tank would ever gear for int. Plate with int would only serve as a newbie trap.

you totally failed to read, I'm not worried about generic tanking plates, I'm worried about tier pieces, hope Blizz doesn't screw it up.

I'm talking about tier pieces

They would be better with 0 int on them

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33522 is by far the best itemized chest for paladin tanking ZERO INT

I'm talking about tier pieces

They would be better with 0 int on them

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33522 is by far the best itemized chest for paladin tanking ZERO INT

yes yes... I fail to see Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian is a tier piece...... not.
    Then why aren't they getting rid of int from hunter/shaman mail pieces instead of giving them a talent to make it more useful?

edit: well they only manage to add one piece of gear like that http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34194

hunters DO need int.

and so hunters and shaman get int -> AP

though the funny part is shaman don't really need int, they just get int -> ap to share gear with hunters better.

I fail to see Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian is a tier piece...... not.
    It's much better to look at the latest gear, blizz learned that tankadins don't need int and stopped giving it to us.

imo a slightly bigger mana pool is a good thing, i wouldnt mind a little bit of int on tier pieces

but this is more reflective of the current status, things might be different in woltk, with bos and new mana batteries mana could be a moot point...i would hate that, but we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleface
    imo a slightly bigger mana pool is a good thing, i wouldnt mind a little bit of int on tier pieces

but this is more reflective of the current status, things might be different in woltk, with bos and new mana batteries mana could be a moot point...i would hate that, but we'll see
    I honestly wouldn't mind a bigger mana pool too, but not at the loss of more appropriate tanking stats. With the new STA -> SP change, there really is no big reason to take current pally gear over warrior gear when the content patch comes out. Especially when you consider the fact that most of our tanking abilities now scale with AP and SP, making warrior gear all the more desirable.

bigger health pool >>> bigger mana pool

stam, str, def, dodge, parry, expertise, hit, agi
    all better than int, but I wouldn't expect to even see agi on our gear.

Maenetus, do you raid end game content? The base mana (something like 3.5k if I recall) is not enough to be a reasonable tank. My reccomended for a tanking pally is somewhere around 6-7k buffed, 5k unbuffed.

Some int is good, lots of int is a waste of iLVL points.

But without that you can't get enough of a decent aggro lead and still have enough to reliably keep up things like Holy shield and and reliably refresh seals if your not being hit for enough dmg to get mana from spiritual attunement. Heck I have enough Mana problems with 7k doing the early Hyjal trash because the pack of mobs isn't doing enough dmg.

So those peices of tier gear with a little int are godsend, same with the big pink mace.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account

You don't need much Int gear anymore with the changes to blessing of sanctuary:

* Blessing of Sanctuary has been changed - Places a Blessing on the friendly target, reducing damage taken from all sources by 3% for 10 min. In addition, when the target blocks, parries, or dodges a melee attack the target will gain 10 rage, 20 runic power, or 2% of the maximum mana. (Old - Places a Blessing on the friendly target, reducing damage dealt from all sources by up to 10 for 10 min. In addition, when the target blocks a melee attack the attacker will take 14 Holy damage.)

Warriors/Paladins/Deathknights will generally use the same gear except for class sets which might have some int for palas.

hunters DO need int.

and so hunters and shaman get int -> AP

though the funny part is shaman don't really need int, they just get int -> ap to share gear with hunters better.
    shamans do need int. potentially more than hunters. shocks, totems, shields (lighting), maelstrom weapon bringing isntant casts and heals. (and this is just enhancement shaman - the only class really comepeting with hunters)
    It's just a game.

but enha shams have their shamanistic rage with 2 mins cd which usually regens whole mana
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Why are people discussing Hunters and Shamans in a thread about the Protection Paladin?

Back on topic peasants!

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

because hunters and shaman mana use is fairly similar to prot mana use.

When a ret/prot pally, enh shaman or hunter goes oom, they have their effectiveness reduced, but not eliminated. mages wanding is lol worthy. ret/prot at least does their seal damage etc.

it wouldn't actually be very hard to remove all int from hunters and shaman. enh could rely on shamanistic rage and hunters could get the OP version of AotV that scales off damage. But since both of those abilities scale off melee stats it makes undergeared players completely out of luck. It also makes hunter/shaman roll on leather.

It's a lot cleaner to have shaman/hunters int based so they scale smoothly and they don't go after leather quite so much.

Maenetus, do you raid end game content? The base mana (something like 3.5k if I recall) is not enough to be a reasonable tank. My reccomended for a tanking pally is somewhere around 6-7k buffed, 5k unbuffed.
    yep, I've got about 5k unbuffed. Though really I could do without it.

can't get enough of a decent aggro lead
    A. we're getting cost reduction talents
    B. warriors/druids get to start most fights nearly out of rage, and it's not a big problem, I'm sure we can learn how to start fights with less mana.
    C. Crushes are gone, so holy shield being down isn't a big deal.

because the pack of mobs isn't doing enough dmg.
    The new BoSanc will take care of that.

more to the point the 100 or so int you get on tier gear wouldn't help. It only buys you 5 seconds (rough guess)