1. #1

    Dispersion mechanics question

    Considering the bigger use of spirit I guess there will be less oom situations for SPriests in WotLK, so I'm wondering if Dispersion will even be used in PvE. But still, I'd like to know if Dispersion is a magic effect and if it can be dispelled? It will obviously be used in PvP so I'm hoping it will have some dispel restrictions like rogue's cloak of shadows (mass dispel) otherwise shamans, paladins and other priests (not to mention mage's spellsteal) will be laughing.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=47585

    For lazy people: It's physical.

  3. #3

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    I've read an insane amount on beta but there is one dispersion question i have

    Can you cast it OUT of shadow form?

    Thinking of a renew (With 40% glyph) dispersion combo, would net you some SERIOUS health gains in pvp, (2 ticks of renew while dispersed

  4. #4

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by MaritnR
    I've read an insane amount on beta but there is one dispersion question i have

    Can you cast it OUT of shadow form?

    Thinking of a renew (With 40% glyph) dispersion combo, would net you some SERIOUS health gains in pvp, (2 ticks of renew while dispersed
    You can cast it whenever you wish. You can renew/shield yourself, then pop dispersion.

  5. #5

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by Telitzp
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=47585

    For lazy people: It's physical.
    Ah tnx. Really sorry, only checked mmo-champion forums and didn't find anything about it, didn't even think of checking anything else :S

    Thank's a lot.

  6. #6

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by PRmeK
    Considering the bigger use of spirit I guess there will be less oom situations for SPriests in WotLK, so I'm wondering if Dispersion will even be used in PvE. But still, I'd like to know if Dispersion is a magic effect and if it can be dispelled? It will obviously be used in PvP so I'm hoping it will have some dispel restrictions like rogue's cloak of shadows (mass dispel) otherwise shamans, paladins and other priests (not to mention mage's spellsteal) will be laughing.

    Thanks in advance
    Irrespective of health & mana regen, the ability to reduce damage by 90% still has it's applciations in high end raiding. And for those of you who think dps never take damage unless they pull aggro, it's obvious you've done very little BT & SWP content. Our guild finally cleared the Eredar Twins recently and dispersion would have been more than useful on our attempts due to the insane about of raid damage flying about.

  7. #7

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Irrespective of health & mana regen, the ability to reduce damage by 90% still has it's applciations in high end raiding. And for those of you who think dps never take damage unless they pull aggro, it's obvious you've done very little BT & SWP content. Our guild finally cleared the Eredar Twins recently and dispersion would have been more than useful on our attempts due to the insane about of raid damage flying about.
    Dear god please... Of course Dispersion is going to help against Raid Damage (would have been nice on many fights). It's not freaking totally awesome to use it for Raid Damage. It's better to be smart and heal your freaking self if needed. You need to time it when you are taking damage, health, and mana. Of course, since you are "SO GOOD", you would have realized this in MH. But excuse me for ruining your parade of "IM SO GOOD".

  8. #8

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by Telitzp
    Dear god please... Of course Dispersion is going to help against Raid Damage (would have been nice on many fights). It's not freaking totally awesome to use it for Raid Damage. It's better to be smart and heal your freaking self if needed. You need to time it when you are taking damage, health, and mana. Of course, since you are "SO GOOD", you would have realized this in MH. But excuse me for ruining your parade of "IM SO GOOD".
    Because all raid damage can be solved by healing yourself... lets just make the assumption that healing yourself would save you from double AoE on Illidari Council or a Dark Barrage from Illidan(anyone with half a brain would probably realise those types of events are going to kill even healers spamming themselves, but lets ignore that for now). We'd also have to assume that PW:S & Healthstone have already been used or are on CD because they are effective ways of staying alive and provide instant healing/damage prevention.

    When I shift out of shadow form I probably only have enough time to cast 1 reasonably quick spell. I would say anything that will take longer than 1.5sec is going to be too slow which limits me to 2 real choices, those being PoM or Flash Heal.

    PoM would be the quickest choice but would heal for the least and I would have to survive at least 1 more hit of damage for it to keep me alive.

    Flash heal would be the more powerful healing choice but it will only land in 1.5sec if I receive no pushback and if i'm receiving damage i'm likely to get at least 1 tick of pushback, but lets ignore that as well.

    PoM will cost me 390 mana and will heal me for 800 + 42.86% of my +healing which is around 1300 raid buffed (the rest of my damage comes from + shadow damage) = approx 1350 healing

    Flash Heal will cost me 470 mana and heal me for 1101 - 1279 + 42.86% of my + healing = 1658 to 1836 and i'll have a 10% chance for that spell to crit to recieve an additional 50% healing.

    Assuming I survive (and I may heal myself just enough to receive raid heals from a healer) I will need to shift back into shadow form which will cost me 32% of my base mana which for a lvl 70 Troll Priest is 749mana.

    So what you're trying to communicate is that you think that spending a total of 1139 to 1219 mana to heal yourself for 1350 to 1836 mana (flash heal crit aside) is just as good an option as casting Dispersion for 0 mana, reducing all incomming damage by 90% for 6 seconds as well as regenerating 36% of your health over 6 seconds?

    Just to use Dark Barrage as an example, 10 seconds of receiving 3K shadow damage per second. If low on health Flash heal wouldn't be an option due to the spell pushback, so you would PoM and heal for 1350 odd healing. I would hit dispersion instantly reducing incomming damage from 3K per second to 300 per second and regenerate 600 health per second, ie for 6 seconds i'd gain 300 health per second. It would cost me 0 mana and healers would only have to worry about my life total for 4 of the 10 seconds the effect lasted for. In addition I would save the raid healers mana by preventing the damage.

    I don't know what figures you were working with to suggest dispersion was "not freaking totally awesome", seems like a fair talent to me for 0 mana.

    I'd also like to point and perhaps I didn't articulate my point in the best possible manner, that dispersion is going to have PvE applications past the mana regeneration effect. And to the person I replied to they seemed to ignore the damage prevention mechanic which is going to have decent use as well as the mana regen component. I didn't really ask for your short sighted, uninformative opinion tbh. If you don't like what I contribute, feel free to ignore my posts.

  9. #9

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    the talent is more when you get the agro from the boss or the boss attacks you like zuljin, gurtogg or brutallus enrage,

  10. #10

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    It would be nice if they would add a "little Aggro reset" like Invi or soul shatter. I dunno how much aggro we generate with vE up @ lvl 80.

    Will vE stay @15%(25% skilled) or will it get a nerf soon coz our increased dmg output?

  11. #11

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Dispersion wont affect threat, we get an inbuilt 30% threat reduction with SF now, which gives us by far the most threat reduction out of any class when you include shadow affinity.

    And dispersion is not a fail safe for pull aggro on a boss, if you do pull aggro on a boss in a high end raid it almost always leads to a wipe or at least difficulties for clearing the encounter.

  12. #12

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Because all raid damage can be solved by healing yourself... lets just make the assumption that healing yourself would save you from double AoE on Illidari Council or a Dark Barrage from Illidan(anyone with half a brain would probably realise those types of events are going to kill even healers spamming themselves, but lets ignore that for now). We'd also have to assume that PW:S & Healthstone have already been used or are on CD because they are effective ways of staying alive and provide instant healing/damage prevention.

    When I shift out of shadow form I probably only have enough time to cast 1 reasonably quick spell. I would say anything that will take longer than 1.5sec is going to be too slow which limits me to 2 real choices, those being PoM or Flash Heal.

    PoM would be the quickest choice but would heal for the least and I would have to survive at least 1 more hit of damage for it to keep me alive.

    Flash heal would be the more powerful healing choice but it will only land in 1.5sec if I receive no pushback and if i'm receiving damage i'm likely to get at least 1 tick of pushback, but lets ignore that as well.

    PoM will cost me 390 mana and will heal me for 800 + 42.86% of my +healing which is around 1300 raid buffed (the rest of my damage comes from + shadow damage) = approx 1350 healing

    Flash Heal will cost me 470 mana and heal me for 1101 - 1279 + 42.86% of my + healing = 1658 to 1836 and i'll have a 10% chance for that spell to crit to recieve an additional 50% healing.

    Assuming I survive (and I may heal myself just enough to receive raid heals from a healer) I will need to shift back into shadow form which will cost me 32% of my base mana which for a lvl 70 Troll Priest is 749mana.

    So what you're trying to communicate is that you think that spending a total of 1139 to 1219 mana to heal yourself for 1350 to 1836 mana (flash heal crit aside) is just as good an option as casting Dispersion for 0 mana, reducing all incomming damage by 90% for 6 seconds as well as regenerating 36% of your health over 6 seconds?

    Just to use Dark Barrage as an example, 10 seconds of receiving 3K shadow damage per second. If low on health Flash heal wouldn't be an option due to the spell pushback, so you would PoM and heal for 1350 odd healing. I would hit dispersion instantly reducing incomming damage from 3K per second to 300 per second and regenerate 600 health per second, ie for 6 seconds i'd gain 300 health per second. It would cost me 0 mana and healers would only have to worry about my life total for 4 of the 10 seconds the effect lasted for. In addition I would save the raid healers mana by preventing the damage.

    I don't know what figures you were working with to suggest dispersion was "not freaking totally awesome", seems like a fair talent to me for 0 mana.

    I'd also like to point and perhaps I didn't articulate my point in the best possible manner, that dispersion is going to have PvE applications past the mana regeneration effect. And to the person I replied to they seemed to ignore the damage prevention mechanic which is going to have decent use as well as the mana regen component. I didn't really ask for your short sighted, uninformative opinion tbh. If you don't like what I contribute, feel free to ignore my posts.
    Just to make sure we are on the right track here... We were discussing Area of Effects
    - The two things I have bolded are two things I am going to touch on.
    - First off, if you get hit by double AoE. You are terrible. You have 1.5 seconds to get out of the AoE before it ticks. Terrible
    - Dark Barrage, is not an AoE but I agree Dispersion would be useful in this situation.
    - The greatest thing you could have said would be the fire on Archimonde. But hey, you fail, again.

  13. #13

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by Telitzp
    Just to make sure we are on the right track here... We were discussing Area of Effects
    - The two things I have bolded are two things I am going to touch on.
    - First off, if you get hit by double AoE. You are terrible. You have 1.5 seconds to get out of the AoE before it ticks. Terrible
    - Dark Barrage, is not an AoE but I agree Dispersion would be useful in this situation.
    - The greatest thing you could have said would be the fire on Archimonde. But hey, you fail, again.
    Perhaps I should have listed every single occurance dispersion would be useful? I think listing a couple of examples was sufficent. And to take your response about double AoE on Council, if you walk into doomfire "You are terrible."

    You're wrong about the AoE on council... you have a bit of time to get out of flamestrike, but you when you factor in ping and positioning within the AoE its not uncommon to take 1 tick. There is no real warning on blizzard and you will almost always take 1 tick of that... and then it's possible to be the target of envenom on top of a double or single AoE which will almost always kill people.

    Just to please you... some other occurances dispersion would be useful...
    Last ticks of a Kalecgos curse - sometimes the decurses fail
    Last ticks of a Brutallus burn
    Felmyst Encapsulate, if quick you can use it b4 you are targeted or you can use it while running away from the target
    Eredar Twins - Sear, flame touched, shadow nova, conflag... there is ample of situations you need to prevent damage

  14. #14

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Perhaps I should have listed every single occurance dispersion would be useful? I think listing a couple of examples was sufficent. And to take your response about double AoE on Council, if you walk into doomfire "You are terrible."

    You're wrong about the AoE on council... you have a bit of time to get out of flamestrike, but you when you factor in ping and positioning within the AoE its not uncommon to take 1 tick. There is no real warning on blizzard and you will almost always take 1 tick of that... and then it's possible to be the target of envenom on top of a double or single AoE which will almost always kill people.

    Just to please you... some other occurances dispersion would be useful...
    Last ticks of a Kalecgos curse - sometimes the decurses fail
    Last ticks of a Brutallus burn
    Felmyst Encapsulate, if quick you can use it b4 you are targeted or you can use it while running away from the target
    Eredar Twins - Sear, flame touched, shadow nova, conflag... there is ample of situations you need to prevent damage
    Now you are just getting into places where you shouldn't. Not every class has dispersion.

    Again, I'm not saying Dispersion is terrible. In fact, I love the spell, but the way you say it is making it like we HAVE to HAVE it in order to be useful. People have survived without and we will continue to survive without it.

  15. #15

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    lemme just point out that for pvp if you're fighting a ret pally (laugh, right?) they can pop wings and clear half the 90% reduc. you'd still probably die. aka 45%/120% dmg

    I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

  16. #16

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    @ Telitzp : I think you never played a shadowpriest in your life. So, why should I take the risk of dying while I could have a skilled a possibility for 100% survive ?. Dispersion is naturally more useful in PVP than PVP, but ignoring it in PVE is just foolish. And you should also know, that the DPS of a shadow priest isn´t that much effected by using ist as f.a. a mage using his mana reg spell. So it´s an additional opportunity for an SP to save his life and by doing that keeping up his group support.

    And finally if you would have an idea about the Sp talent tree, you´d know, that you loose nothing on DPS by skilling it. YOu can just save yourself for 0 mana, and if you think you´re saved faster than 6 sec. just turn off the spell. It´s a buff not a debuff...

    Finally, show me what you´d do with this talent point instead...

  17. #17

    Re: Dispersion mechanics question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    lemme just point out that for pvp if you're fighting a ret pally (laugh, right?) they can pop wings and clear half the 90% reduc. you'd still probably die. aka 45%/120% dmg
    You also might dispel wings b4 you hit dispersion if they choose to use it early? It's all a part of PvP tactics isnt it?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •