Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Prot not so great on PTR

so i transfered my char to PTR, learned the talents and skills... then I tried a few things.

1)Killing a bunch of lvl 68-ish mobs at same time:
    We could do fine before but it took us a while, now it was alot faster with hammer of the righteous. seal of corruption procs with hammer of the righeous also added to the extra damage that mobs, other than your target, were getting.

2)Raid Tanking:
    it was a quick pug run on PTR in black temple just to see if I could "viably" tank still. Our mitigation went down the drain now that we lost all that defense from talents. I'm gonna have to get rid of all my Stam gems and get Def gems if i want to be a Viable Tank in 3.0 before WotLK comes out. with the nerf to our Stam talent i don't really need to tell you guys how bad of a nerf this is getting to be...

3)PVP? lol...
    so I used to carry the flag in WSG, protect nodes in AB/EotS, hold bunkers and tank Vandar in AV. Now I can't really do any of that. i know alot of classes had their dps increased enormously but my survivability went down so much... I LOST 1V1 TO A FREKIN ROGUE... i was barely mitigating anything and the rogue's damage output was insane.

what I don't like about us on PTR:

even though our +Spell Power has gone up due to the talent I don't see any difference in damage with concecrate or judgements. Hammer of the righteous does crap damage with a caster weapon and the only non caster weapon i had was the tanking blue wep i bought from Sunwell Isle rep vendor and that increased the damage but not enough. I can't really test the worth of that skill unless I had a good wep from like BT or SW. I also know Shield of righousness will be a big boost at lvl 75 but as it stands at lvl 70 we are pretty bad.

We still need a new 11pt Prot talent and a few other changes in general to help our viability. thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the extra Spellpower and improved Devotion aura help alot with self healing like if you bubble and heal yourself when soloing.

Re: Prot not so great on PTR

I'm in the beta atm and I'm currently in mostly T6 gear and I am doing great questing -you will find you will be aoe tanking EVERYTHING - 1v1 is abit stronger now but nothing major. I love it.

So you need to buy a couple of defence gems, not the end of the world. - Got badges rotting in my bank atm.

Don't need to worry about crushing blows either as well now.

Prot is far better now.

I've found old AOE grinding to be discustingly powerful at the moment.

I'm in Kara level prot gear, I'm playing round near black temple. I can round up 4 big elites and about 10 79-80 mobs and come out of the fight with full mana and health.

ret Aura on
    righteous fury on
    Seal and Judge Light (seal procs off each hit and from each hit of HotR)
    BoS regenerates mana faster than i can use it

I've also Solo'ed Uvuros, it took about 10 minutes but wasn't too painful apart from the fire breathe.

My Damage output seems a tad higher than it was previously but then I'm wearing a large amount of "warrior" gear so that could have something to do with it.

I'm going to Try actually tanking something now to see how i fair but so all my concerns are met.
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Maybe you are having problems becose your using many caster( no str items ), and we need alot of str now, dont use caster weapon anymore also, you dont need, take a big sword or mace with high end dmg you will see the diference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki.gdm
    Maybe you are having problems becose your using many caster( no str items ), and we need alot of str now, dont use caster weapon anymore also, you dont need, take a big sword or mace with high end dmg you will see the diference.
    edit: Mis-read this post, no need for my post

ya all of you said it's fine cus grinding was easyer :

I specifically said the problem was pvp and tanking at lvl 70 for patch 3.0 (NOT 75-80 in Beta)

i also said i didn't have a good DPS weapon to test with, but with my Badge/T6 gear I had problems tanking. Our strong survivability in PvP is now obsolete with the increase in everyone elses DPS.

I'm not talking about Beta and lvl 80 Tanking.... I'm talking about lvl 70 patch 3.0 BEFORE wotlk comes out, we will NOT be viable enough to raid tank anything but trash.

Level 70 tanking changes aren't that impressive. I'm hoping things look better at 80.

In terms of raid tanking the major things we've picked up:
    +3% extra mitigation from Sanctuary, but it can be applied to all tanks and doesn't stack with priest heals
    +the ability to use warrior plate
    +a micro shield wall plus a reasonable cooldown on lay on hands
    +The ability to use warrior weapons
    +warrior shield block is no longer spammable

But there are a lot of negatives
    -Paladins lose their unique AE role since warriors picked up significant AE abilities with damage shield, thunderclap buff and shockwave.
    -a nasty stamina nerf
    -using Hammer of the Righteous with a warrior weapon causes a huge loss of spell power which isn't compensated for without Shield of Righteousness
    -shield wall & last stand cooldowns reduced, plus new shield block, give warriors vastly more powerful survivability tools

I can't say I'm looking forward to 3.0 now, as it just seems like we're back where we started: tanking only when the warriors aren't available. Dishing out the extra damage is fun but I think it's fairly meaningless to me. When I play a tank class I simply want to tank, and it seems like warriors are well beyond any of the other tanks again. At the very least I'm glad Sanctuary is finally useful for the raid. So now when I can't tank because the warriors are twice as good at it at least I know my blessings aren't going to waste.

I just did a strat run, and i normally do it on live for money. Was 10x easier, kill things a lot faster....aoe tanking mana wasn't an issue. Damage wise it was great compared to how it was, think it should be buffed a bit though. Getting rid of the thunderclap gimmick talent and replace it with something better would be nice. Overall, I am happy with it.

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    2)Raid Tanking:
    it was a quick pug run on PTR in black temple just to see if I could "viably" tank still. Our mitigation went down the drain now that we lost all that defense from talents. I'm gonna have to get rid of all my Stam gems and get Def gems if i want to be a Viable Tank in 3.0 before WotLK comes out. with the nerf to our Stam talent i don't really need to tell you guys how bad of a nerf this is getting to be...
    Isn't 5% dodge better than 20 defense in terms of pure avoidance? This may hurt some tanks due to having to re-gem/re-enchant, but speaking for myself I'm still going to be uncrittable with a loss of 20 defense.

I'll be downloading the client and logging on to the ptr to test things out myself soon.

If you have to get rid of stam gems to get to 490 defense now, you def should not be tanking BT. Just my opinion on the matter. I have 495 defense in my gear still and just have badge loot with some t5. Nothing special. T6 tanks are def not hurting from it.

I'm thinking that we lost the few % of +stam from talents as in future our stats on won't be so spread out and so we should get more stam on the gear itself compared to what we have now
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Quote Originally Posted by mrfinch
    The only caster item Tankadins should be using is the weapon. The rest should either be items with Spell Power Equip effects or warrior armor, both of which have had strength added to it
    Wrong.
    wrong.
    wrong.

Paladins need to gear 100% like warrior tanks now. You want a slow, high damage weapon for hammer of the righteous, and as much stam and str as you can get. Defense is still required but blizz already said it wont be as much of a problem as in TBC, and crushing blows are extinct.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I'm using some ZA gear and still 2 items from Kara which i can't replace :
    those items have little to no defense. I'm using Stam trinkets with no defense to be Viable as an MT since warriors are so high on HP over us. i'm gonna be way below Def when the 20def talent is changed. and if that means i have to regem away from stam and remove a stam trinket to use an older def one i'm DEFENITELY not gonna be viable HP wise to be chosen over a warrior. That is the point im getting at... We fight to become viable and yet in the end blizzard says No... not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile
    Wrong.
    wrong.
    wrong.

Paladins need to gear 100% like warrior tanks now. You want a slow, high damage weapon for hammer of the righteous, and as much stam and str as you can get. Defense is still required but blizz already said it wont be as much of a problem as in TBC, and crushing blows are extinct.
    Yeah I mis-read. My mistake.

I know about the Defense/CB, thanks for.... reminding me? Thank you for repeating the word 'wrong' three times too. I didn't understand what it meant first or second time.

You cant say that until you reach lvl 80 and using same gear as a warrior tank.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfinch
    Yeah I mis-read. My mistake.

I know about the Defense/CB, thanks for.... reminding me? Thank you for repeating the word 'wrong' three times too. I didn't understand what it meant first or second time.
    Well obviously you didnt understand all the paladin changes that have been repeated over and over, so i thought i would have to repeat myself to make them sink in.

All that info has already been stated several times, by several people including blizzard blue posters.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

ya but between patch 3.0 and Wotlk... what am i to do since i most likely won't be chosen to raid and warriors and druids will instead? just tough it out for a month or so?? :

Wrong.
    wrong.
    wrong.

Exactly!!

many are not understanding this, we are more like warriors now, we will use same gear, and same weapon type, slow and with big dmg, we dont need as much spell dmg, we now need Str and Sta, becose our SP get higher with more sta, and our spells now scale with AP (so we need str).

Quote Originally Posted by Warcraft
    You can't gauge the new Protection Paladin properly without Shield of Righteousness, which you unfortunately don't get until level 75. ShoR accounts for about 24% of single target threat according to current Naxx reports. And, it can crit upwards of 20K with Avenging Wrath up.

You are wrong. Spell damage weapons are better for AE tanking and have averaged up to 200TPS higher on single targets than an equal speed melee weapon. That is, when weapon speed even counted. It does not even matter anymore because HotR was normalized in the last beta patch.
    AE MAYBE, but im talking tanking in general, and you do not want to be tanking a boss with a spell power weapon as your threat will be far lower due to smaller HotR hits.

Well obviously you didnt understand all the paladin changes that have been repeated over and over, so i thought i would have to repeat myself to make them sink in.

All that info has already been stated several times, by several people including blizzard blue posters.
    Well obviously mis-reading something makes me clueless to things going on around me

However it was nice of you to take it upon yourself and talk to me like a five year old. How very noble, you should take that somewhere where it would make a difference to the world. I am sure repeating things three times will do wonders.

Fair point, no?
    Fair point, no?
    Fair point, no?