Thread: Penance Weak

  1. #1
    Schizo
    Guest

    Penance Weak

    I noticed penace was hitting for about 450 each tick. I thought that was extremely low since I had around 900 bonus spell. I took off my gear and it hit around 250 each tick. Only a difference of 200 with 900 bonus spell? Is that all it's supposed to hit for? I don't understand the mechanics of how this spell is supposed to work.

  2. #2

    Re: Penance Weak

    mine hit for 2.5k every tic, crited for 3kish +/- didn't see 4k as lvl 70 (1500 splpower as discipline spec).
    at lvl 80:
    2 tics: 3k each tic, crits for 4.5k.

    penance is a really nice healing spell. to bad its channeled 2 secs - so easy to interrupt.

  3. #3
    Schizo
    Guest

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow
    mine hit for 2.5k every tic, crited for 3kish +/- didn't see 4k as lvl 70 (1500 splpower as discipline spec).
    at lvl 80:
    2 tics: 3k each tic, crits for 4.5k.

    penance is a really nice healing spell. to bad its channeled 2 secs - so easy to interrupt.
    Are you talking about healing or damage. the damage output is what im mostly talking about, which I feel is kind of lackluster.

  4. #4

    Re: Penance Weak

    It isn't meant to be some imba mage-like dps spell.

  5. #5

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by Neeklus
    It isn't meant to be some imba mage-like dps spell.

  6. #6

    Re: Penance Weak

    Ah yes, because buffing it beyond the pathetic 450/tick the OP described would immediately put in the "imba mage-like" category?

    If the spell isn't meant to do meaningful damage, why let it do damage at all? I figure it's supposed to be an improvement compared to Smite?

  7. #7

    Re: Penance Weak

    the reason it has low dps is because its also a healing spell... you can't smite your friend to full health..

    is not a replacement for smite.
    It's just a game.

  8. #8

    Re: Penance Weak

    Shouldn't Penance be to Smite what Mind Blast is for Mind Flay?
    Just in terms of soloing mobs.

    As GrumpyJester mentioned, if it's not doing considerable damage (compared to other priest spells) what's the point of allowing it to do damage?

  9. #9

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by dimiaerl
    Shouldn't Penance be to Smite what Mind Blast is for Mind Flay?
    Just in terms of soloing mobs.
    no penance isn't the mindblast of the holy
    you can't really compare but the new holy fire does alot of dmg - you should check that out.

  10. #10

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by dimiaerl
    Shouldn't Penance be to Smite what Mind Blast is for Mind Flay?
    Just in terms of soloing mobs.

    As GrumpyJester mentioned, if it's not doing considerable damage (compared to other priest spells) what's the point of allowing it to do damage?
    Think outside the square... it may not do enough damage to kill people but it seems to be to be a very annoying spell relating to spell pushback. Might give your arena teammate that extra time to kick/ES/pummel/CS a spell.

    Other than that would you be happier if they removed the damage component completly and just left it as a healing spell? I for one perfer to have the choice to use it offesnively rather than no choice... if you hate it so much perhaps choose not to use it offensively? Doesn't really hurt you does it?

  11. #11

    Re: Penance Weak

    We're trying to help Blizzard

    It's a 51-point talent that has a damage component. It's pretty safe to say it should have a use. It's not some relic from the past that got outdated and just never got removed, or something. Ignoring it would be terribly weird: "Hey guys, we made a new spell called Penance. It has a heal and a damage component, but the damage component doesn't really have any use so you probably should just ignore it."

    Now there's of course also the "specialist" crowd: Priests are for HEALING! Reroll Shadow you mage wannabe! Hardly worth my time to debate with these single-minded people, but at the very least they would agree that having a futile damage component to Penance is just a waste and we're better off just removing it entirely.

    I think it's perfectly fair to give the damage component of Penance a use. It doesn't have to be powerful, just something that makes you feel there's a point to the spell doing damage at all. Personally I feel Penance should have been the "efficiency" spell for Priests: low damage, low healing, but even lower mana cost. Our answer to Flash of Light and Mind Flay, so to say.

  12. #12

    Re: Penance Weak

    Worth noting that Penance has a cooldown. So you're effectively choosing to either deal pathetic damage or heal a reasonable amount. I'd like to think outside the box, but with the new spell pushback mechanics, I'd rather save penance for a heal situation than use it on a caster. In PvP, it's not much of a decision to make. Especially since Penance leaves you open to interrupts.

    I was thinking that the damage part would come in handy while soloing (grinding dailies?). Hopefully they'll find a way to buff it a bit so that it's actually an option asides from the usual Holy Fire/SW:P/Smite.

  13. #13

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by dimiaerl
    Worth noting that Penance has a cooldown. So you're effectively choosing to either deal pathetic damage or heal a reasonable amount. I'd like to think outside the box, but with the new spell pushback mechanics, I'd rather save penance for a heal situation than use it on a caster. In PvP, it's not much of a decision to make. Especially since Penance leaves you open to interrupts.

    I was thinking that the damage part would come in handy while soloing (grinding dailies?). Hopefully they'll find a way to buff it a bit so that it's actually an option asides from the usual Holy Fire/SW:P/Smite.
    to level up you can just spam smite - the mob will die as well.
    giving healers the ability to do damage is something that has been for ever, and has been buffed even so healers will do abit more dmg.
    your acctually complaining about penance not doing enough damage, when in 80 level gear this spell does almost 8k in 2 sec's which is extremely usefull to any matter.

    tbh, what i saw in penance damage is simpley a way to "add" an anditional instant damage with sw:d to arena: how many times did the sw:d not kill a rogue and you just wished u had another one not on CD? (or any other class). uses to small amount of damage, high mana and instant damage can be found, there are plently. but don't come expecting a healing spell that is powerfull will do the same damage as IceLaunce or any other instant cast damage spell you managed to compare with.

  14. #14

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow
    to level up you can just spam smite - the mob will die as well.
    giving healers the ability to do damage is something that has been for ever, and has been buffed even so healers will do abit more dmg.
    your acctually complaining about penance not doing enough damage, when in 80 level gear this spell does almost 8k in 2 sec's which is extremely usefull to any matter.
    Prove that penance does anywhere NEAR 8k damage in 2 secs at 80 and i will give you my account.
    80 Druid, 84 Priest, 85 Death Knight, 85 Mage, 76 Shaman, 85 Warrior, 70 Warlock, 70 Paladin

  15. #15

    Re: Penance Weak

    Was just about to say. 8k? No way

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Mandible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Penance Weak

    Having penance as the "ultimate" single target spell with its current stats is a joke - first of all (not looking at the midiocre damage) there is the healing it adds which alone is far less than what gheal adds on its own, and far less than what holy specced gheal adds for that matter. Then there is the cd which forces you into using gheal (since your shield will be on a cd). Now ofc you can theorize that what you do is shield -> penance -> proc aegis (due to added crit from weakened soul too few procs otherwise) -> wait and gheal until shield or penance is off. The only difference would be using an extra shield since other people would heal as well and you would be forced into using the same tools a holy specced priest uses except less effect.

    In short with a cd penance has to do some 12k in disc to be the "oh snap" talent it apparently is. Without a cd it can go down to around 8-9k over the 2 seconds to be the 51 point talent its supposed to be as a single target spell.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

  17. #17

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Other than that would you be happier if they removed the damage component completly and just left it as a healing spell? I for one perfer to have the choice to use it offesnively rather than no choice... if you hate it so much perhaps choose not to use it offensively? Doesn't really hurt you does it?
    I would.

    As it stands, I'll probably just end up accidentally using the cooldown and mana when I misclick a hotkey.

    And someone mentioned how nice this spell is for pushing back opponents... but I think that bonus is more than outweighed by the way the new spellcasting mechanics work with a channeled spell like this one. 2 second channeled spell... lose 25% of the cast time if you get hit while casting...

    With anything short of 70% talent + concentration aura, getting hit for 1 damage while casting penance halves its effect. No matter how insignificant the pushback is... any pushback will knock one of the two ticks off of this spell. Woohoo.

  18. #18

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrakech
    Prove that penance does anywhere NEAR 8k damage in 2 secs at 80 and i will give you my account.
    level 80 priest i wrote: heals for 8 k (with kinda crap gear) if both tics crit (the crits are 3,8k-4k on my charr).

    you are more then welcome to copy a priest that was pre-made and check. penance as i said, in level 80 HEALS for around 8k if both tic crits. if both don't its 5k-6k heal.

    and its not supposed to be ultimate, it has a 10 secs CD and for a reason probably. think about when you will use it in a PVP or PVE situation go and try and see that as a heal its pretty good, and amazing graffics aswell.
    i find the talk about how much damage it does abit not relative - giving a healing spell the ability to do damage is a bonus. i'm pretty happy with penance tbh, although its channeled 2 sec.

  19. #19

    Re: Penance Weak

    Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow
    to level up you can just spam smite - the mob will die as well.
    giving healers the ability to do damage is something that has been for ever, and has been buffed even so healers will do abit more dmg.
    your acctually complaining about penance not doing enough damage, when in 80 level gear this spell does almost 8k in 2 sec's which is extremely usefull to any matter.
    Well Meow, this is exactly what you wrote in the middle of a discussion about damage. The rest of your post after this point still doesn't clear up what exactly you're referring to. Thus, it sure as hell sounded to me like you were referring to 8k in damage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •