Warlocks! Is Impowered Imp really useful after its tweek!?!

Before I express my opinion about this topic, I wanted to thank blizzard for really balancing out the classes to some respect. You guys have done a tremendous job at bringing on new talents and still maintaining balance between classes. However, there is something that troubles me about the Impowered Imp talent that was recently nerfed down for warlocks...
    The crits from the imp use to gaurentee a 100% critical strike for the next destruction spell casted. Even as a warlock pvp'er I know this is overpowered, warlocks would be meltin' way to much face on Battlegrounds. But your recent solution for this talent has me worried that its not even an effective talent to have as a full destro lock.
    The new talent has been changed to spell critical hit, and the next destro spell only has a 20% to become a critical hit... With all this resilence on the battlegrounds, this talent seems pretty useless. First of all, it doesn't even guarentee that the spell will critically hit, it only increases the chance that it might happen. Second, its only a critical hit which is different from a critical strike. Warlock talents like ruin only increase the critical strike damage done, not critical hit. So even if the next spell does crit, its not even hittin as hard as it could not to mention the resilence debuffage that the critical hit will endure.

I propose a solution that will still maintain the balance between classes and pump up this talent to make it more attractive. Instead of 20% to critically hit, why not make it 20% critical strike? This would allow warlocks to dps efficiently with their ruin talent and still allows a chance that the spell may not crit at all. Another solution is to raise the 20% chance to critically hit to 40% so at least warlocks have more of a chance to deal dmg even if its not as strong as a critical strike. Please review this talent blizzard.. I think it needs more work before anything is final.

Re: Warlocks! Is Impowered Imp really useful after its tweek!?!

It was useless before it got nerfed, the only difference is now I won't be the only one to skip it and try sac again.
    This user has been banned.

If you guys feel the same way I do, post your ideas. If enough people make a stand then its only right for blizzard to make a change that upgrades this spec and still maintains balance between classes. Power to the locks baby!

Except Blizzard does not read these forums. So it is somewhat useless, unless someone takes the initiative to post on the beta forums.
    This user has been banned.

Then the beta forums it is! It's time to end the nerfage

Quote Originally Posted by Kazakastan78
    I propose a solution that will still maintain the balance between classes and pump up this talent to make it more attractive. Instead of 20% to critically hit, why not make it 20% critical strike? This would allow warlocks to dps efficiently with their ruin talent and still allows a chance that the spell may not crit at all.
    You do realise that "Critical Strike chance" and "Critical Hit chance" are the exact same thing? It's just two different words for the same thing. I've really no idea where you got this idea about Critical Strikes doing more damage than Critical Hits.

You can see evidence of this straight from the mage trees. Improved Scorch says it increases Critical Strike chance, while Winter's Chill says it increases Critical Hit chance. But the two abilities are equal and don't stack, because Strike and Hit mean the same thing.

uhh... since when did we ever use imp in pvp (and its not so much crit on demand seeing as we need our imp to crit one of his fireballs)... and anyone in their right mind would simply one-shot any imp that wasnt phase shifted in the first place.

This is further supported by the fact they shifted soullink up in the demo tree which emphasizes SL use in pvp via VW/puppy... never imp.

It's a useless talent in pvp imo. Just calculate the crit chance of your imp when you have let's say 30% chance to crit, on a target with 450+ resilience....

It doesn't even worth it in pve after the nerf of the 100% chance to 20%

warlocks get cool stuff...then it gets taken away

Ok. I didn't realize that both critical hit and critical strike were the same. But that leaves me with another question, why the hell did blizzard make two names for this spell ability? It seems really confusing and irrelavent. Even with this whole critical strike thing cleared up, the impowerd imp talent is still weak as hell. Resilence is just gonna eat through this talent for sure. The way I see it, theres really only two options:
    1. Get rid of this talent and bring on a better one, something that destro locks could actually get excited about.
    2. Beef it up, this talent is not that bad, it just needs some tweekage. Warlocks rely so much on crits, thats why destro locks love the talent. Increase the chance to crit and this talent would be poppin'.

as written above, a serious pvp'er will just have to look at the imp and it will return to hell
    that minion doesn't stand longer than 1 sek if focussed...

You don't do pvp as destro. Stop trying to make it a pvp tree, you can't stop and cast in pvp, ergo you can't go destro. Empowered imp is a useful PVE talent!

Quote Originally Posted by ascote
    You don't do pvp as destro. Stop trying to make it a pvp tree, you can't stop and cast in pvp, ergo you can't go destro. Empowered imp is a useful PVE talent!
    Blizzard attempted to make destr pvp viable in wotlk... but keeps changing talents

1) we need dispel prot on immolate, and a talent that keeps conflag from removing immolate
    2) whered my 15% crit chance bonus go to shadowflame....
    3) you're right we still have to stand and cast but at least shadowfury is insta, use while running, and now 3 sec stun

I cant wait to try affliction/sl at 80 in arena with the new arena maps and demonic teleport

But i cant help but feeling our pets wont be fixed, will still get kill in 3 secs, and SL will be useless

The destro tree is kind of meh right now anyway. Sure it has some nice points, but with some of the changes they've made recently, most of the tree is just meh and at this point it looks like we're all going to be speccing into demo sac for end game raiding again.

And as it was stated before using an imp for PvP is a joke and even if you did his crit chance would be a lot worse than yours considering atm it doesn't scale so empowered imp would never proc anyway.

15+ Year Old Account

Warlock using imp for pvp, buffed or not, is a joke.

Empowered imp is a PVE buff because blizzard has stated "A pet class without a pet should not be able to out-dps a non-pet class". This is a reasonable thought - pet management should be a part of this class, not something to handle once every 30 minutes/rez.

In PVP you should be using Succubus or Felhunter, for silencing healers or seduce/nuke.

R.I.P. YARG

Kazakostan I have registered just to write this message

Please post more

Don't give him a shovel please.

Quote Originally Posted by ascote
    So its settled, Impowered imp definitely looks like a PvE talent due to the fact that this pet will die in seconds on the Bg's. Nonetheless, I want Ascote to understand what destro really is. Its not that faggot 21/40 talent, It's not casting shadowbolt at a fuckin stationary target. U obviously don't know what real destro is so before you start talking about my class, check yourself. Destro was made for the purpose of meltin faces with instant casts, stuns, and aoes. The new lvl 80 is design so that you dont have to stop and cast as much was warlocks had to on lvl 70. I've been a destro lock since day 1, never changed my spec and never will. Im true to the talent and I know like many other real destro warlocks that this spec will melt your PvE face any day. Backlash, conflag, shadowfury, shaowburn, instant soulfire (from the new tweeks of the 8962 build). This talent tree is gonna rock BG's at lvl 80. You better pray I dont see u on the Battlefield...