General thoughts on some select priest talents

I was playing around with some possible pvp specs i'd try at lvl 80 when I realised that i'd never spend points in some of the talents due to the fact they improved a buff that could be easily dispelled. Priests being a defensive class primarily probably deserve a buff in defensive capacity, particularly with the dispelling of their own buffs.

Silent Resolve is a nice talent for 3 points, so i'm not exactly complaining about it. However if im going to invest points into talents that result in or are related to a buff that can be dispeled then I start feeling like it's a waste of points. To give an idea of what talents im talking about:

Imp Fort Buff
    Imp PW:S
    Imp DS
    Reflective Shield
    Imp Renew
    Power Infusion
    Borrowed Time
    Imp SW:P
    VE
    Blessed Recovery
    etc

I don't think every single one of these talents is problematic but I think it would make sense for a few of these talents to get some form of extra dispel resistance baked into them as incentive to put points in it for pvp, otherwise I kinda feel it's a waste of points and i'm better off to let a poor version of the buff be dispelled.

For example, Imp PW:S could include 10 or 15% extra dispell resistance so I know that 3 point investment has a chance to keep that buff on a bit longer. Imp Renew is probably another one that could get some resistance baked into it...

like I said I dont think every one of those talents should but I kinda feel that a few should to see if some people would like to roll the dice with them.

Re: General thoughts on some select priest talents

I was thinking reflective shield could use a UA style "Don't Dispel me" effect.

Like if its dispeled it deals all its damage to the dispeler and incapacitates them for 3 seconds.
    Or maybe does an AoE stun on the priest. Or maybe since we've added knockback when the reflective shield is dispeled it knocks anyone near the priest back 10 yards. Also the damage could be done to targets near the priest instead of the dispeler, imagine that if the shield is dispeled it kind of violently explodes.

But keep in mind the Blues have stated a few times they want to revamp the entire dispel system. However want, and intend are two separate terms. So I would not hold my breath.

Personally, I think that dispelling a reflective shield should simply also dispel one of your own buffs...

From my understanding of the class, after playing for two years, is that the core strength of a PvP healing priest is it's defensive buffs. It's core weakness is that they can be dispelled, which is why Purge, Devour Magic and Arcane Shot are all integral parts of PvP when a priest is present.

Making it so these can't be removed, or so that removing them is beneficial to the priest, I.E. a permanent dispel resistance or lifebloom type ability would push the class into being over powered.

At the same time they can't be too easy to remove, which is why Priests have dispel fodder in Inner Fire, Fade, Unending breath from locks, and the constantly-stacking Force of Will on top of their percentage dispel resistance.

The system worked reasonably well in BC, and I think it will again work well in LK, considering other classes haven't been given more dispel abilities.

Shadowpriests are in a different boat. In BC they had dispel protection from Shadow Weaving, but that's gone now. However, they do have Devouring Plague now, which is a disease effect and much harder to get rid of. It's not easy to tell, especially considering Shadow PvP is mostly about burst with a rogue or warlock and not primarily about working people down with DoTs.

Quote Originally Posted by shyg
    From my understanding of the class, after playing for two years, is that the core strength of a PvP healing priest is it's defensive buffs. It's core weakness is that they can be dispelled, which is why Purge, Devour Magic and Arcane Shot are all integral parts of PvP when a priest is present.

Making it so these can't be removed, or so that removing them is beneficial to the priest, I.E. a permanent dispel resistance or lifebloom type ability would push the class into being over powered.

At the same time they can't be too easy to remove, which is why Priests have dispel fodder in Inner Fire, Fade, Unending breath from locks, and the constantly-stacking Force of Will on top of their percentage dispel resistance.

The system worked reasonably well in BC, and I think it will again work well in LK, considering other classes haven't been given more dispel abilities.

Shadowpriests are in a different boat. In BC they had dispel protection from Shadow Weaving, but that's gone now. However, they do have Devouring Plague now, which is a disease effect and much harder to get rid of. It's not easy to tell, especially considering Shadow PvP is mostly about burst with a rogue or warlock and not primarily about working people down with DoTs.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think priests should get 100% dispel resistance or the abilities that trigger UA type effects. All i'm saying is if I invest 3 points into PW:S I'd like some protection for that point investment. There are so many points you could invest in the disc tree on improving buffs that can just be removed very easily. So I think some of those imp buff talents shoudl have an extra dispel resistance ability baked into them so they justify the point spend. I for one would never put points into Imp PW:S & Reflective shield for example because those 6 points become redundant against locks, priests, hunters & shamans.