Thread: shockadin why?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

shockadin why?

why do people still want shockadin? the new retribution has just adopted the same damn play style as shockadin was!

think about it, why did people make shockadin:

to do damage, and be able to heal usefully

Ret is now exactly that.

with blessing of light folded into the base of our healing spells, and having sheath of light.. My ret pally is doing (initial)FoL's for 1250-1300 non crit and 1980-2100 crit (on crit sheath of light ticks for around 350ish I believ), Holy light 4100-4200, then on crit 6-6.5k(and then ticks for like 900)

therefore I propose that shockadin is simply an illusion now.

If you are a shockadin not on ptr or beta, you have no right to argue with me.

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Re: shockadin why?

cause as a ret paly you can get kited and OMG lose a duel?
    shockadins are "ranged" palys in a sense
    ret palys aren't the new sl/sl locks
    sl/sl locks are still holding that down
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Well people need some paladin spec to laugh at now that ret does 10k per swing.

Quote Originally Posted by smartAXE
    cause as a ret paly you can get kited and OMG lose a duel?
    shockadins are "ranged" palys in a sense
    ret palys aren't the new sl/sl locks
    sl/sl locks are still holding that down

good ret pallys know how not to get kited.

I'm going to agree with the original poster.

Shockadin was always a ridiculous spec IMO. Play whatever you like but you're not doing anything to your maximum potential when you take a hybrid class, where each tree is focused on doing something different, and give it a hybrid spec.

Will a shockadin top healing meters? no
    Will a shockadin top dps meters? no

IMO the only thing a shockadin was half useful for was messing around in BG's. Decent burst, more survivability than ret, but overall a poor choice for anything.

As far as the PTR goes, ret is healing better than before (instant cast FoL ftw) but so is a full holy build. It's not like ret pallies will now be healing in raids.

And furthermore the first poster is not stupid for criticizing a spec. If I wanted to put all my points into the first three tiers of the druid trees and play with that as a LOL HYBRID, you'd laugh at me too.

Quote Originally Posted by spleeze

Shockadin was always a ridiculous spec IMO. Play whatever you like but you're not doing anything to your maximum potential when you take a hybrid class, where each tree is focused on doing something different, and give it a hybrid spec.

IMO the only thing a shockadin was half useful for was messing around in BG's. Decent burst, more survivability than ret, but overall a poor choice for anything.

As far as the PTR goes, ret is healing better than before (instant cast FoL ftw) but so is a full holy build. It's not like ret pallies will now be healing in raids.

And furthermore the first poster is not stupid for criticizing a spec. If I wanted to put all my points into the first three tiers of the druid trees and play with that as a LOL HYBRID, you'd laugh at me too.
    I think I was fairly polite about it aswell, just presenting a thought.

lets pretend blizzard removed holy shock.. or maybe they made it a baseline skill. BOOM the traditional concept of shockadin just disapeared.

I guess my main point is.. I just see a lot of threads by shockadins trying to say "blizzard needs to do <insert complaint here> for shockadins" when the truth is no.. shockadin is outdated and blizzard made changes in retribution to facilitate that play style into ret (minus one spell, holy shock) clearing up the need for them to bother making anymore lammellar gear in wotlk

Because shockadins rox!11

I do play shockadin atm, not because i think its totally op and wtfpwn..
    Mostly because i like being lame and making people think "wtf was that"
    I done the pve healing since mc and up untill ssc when i stoppede for a while.. when i started again i just wanted some fun.
    I like "looking" like a healer and then giving a decent burst, and pvp healer isn't my thing atm..
    It made me feel good when i got 1700 rating :P

Quote Originally Posted by Boaen
    Because shockadins rox!11

I do play shockadin atm, not because i think its totally op and wtfpwn..
    Mostly because i like being lame and making people think "wtf was that"
    I done the pve healing since mc and up untill ssc when i stoppede for a while.. when i started again i just wanted some fun.
    I like "looking" like a healer and then giving a decent burst, and pvp healer isn't my thing atm..
    It made me feel good when i got 1700 rating :P
    I've been a lot of things in this game since I rolled my paladin in december '04. Ret, prot, holy, and nearly every combination of hybrid spec out there. The shockadin spec really isn't good enough to be called 'viable'. The incredibly long cooldowns on holy shock makes it a spec similar to the POM/Pyro spec of mages. You'll never really do enough damage with it. For real damage you're better off going pure ret. This is not me saying 'i forbid you from going shockadin', it's me saying 'shockadin really doesn't have enough going for it to compensate for the extreme negatives'.
    Besides, sanctity aura's going bye-bye in the expansion as will the shockadin spec.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas
    I've been a lot of things in this game since I rolled my paladin in december '04. Ret, prot, holy, and nearly every combination of hybrid spec out there. The shockadin spec really isn't good enough to be called 'viable'. The incredibly long cooldowns on holy shock makes it a spec similar to the POM/Pyro spec of mages. You'll never really do enough damage with it. For real damage you're better off going pure ret. This is not me saying 'i forbid you from going shockadin', it's me saying 'shockadin really doesn't have enough going for it to compensate for the extreme negatives'.
    Besides, sanctity aura's going bye-bye in the expansion as will the shockadin spec.
    Well i have had my fun and i'll probaly go back to healing in wotlk.
    I dont regret being a shockadin allthough its been a struggle sometimes.. my guildies and i have had some fun times laughing at my specc and how some people didn't knew what hit them :P
    I started as a healer and im most likely to end as one.

Jokkek

Quote Originally Posted by Warcraft
    You're stupid. I am not a Shockadin but I will stand up for their right to play their characters any way they like. And maybe they prefer doing damage form a range, or healing for bigger numbers than your Shit of Light gives you. Have you thought about that?
    How about a melee priest? Since there's cloth gear with agi and such itemization on them! I "want" to play on my priest anyway I want.

Makes sense? Naaaah

that is a horrible example jokkek... a good example would be restokin druid. Saying you want to be a melee priest when the priest has 0 possibility of being able to melee is stupid. What would you spec to be your melee priest??

actually back when ret gear had bonus damage i was frequently top dps with the shockadin but that was due to a well balance between spell damage and melee damage, but with no gear with such stats its gonna be hard to do that.

For me it was a spec I could do some serious grinding/questing/farming with after 2.3 in mostly heal gear. And as far as I can tell, it's why people want it now. With the changes to spellpower even more pronounced in wotlk, every other healing class has a dump for their spellpower. Priests can go shadow (or lolsmite), Shamen can go ele, Druids can go boooooomkin. A pally in heal gear with a big hunk of spellpower doesn't really have a viable spellpower dps build. I'm not saying pallies should expect to raid dps in their heal gear with the right spec, but they should be able to kick some ass without having to farm a second set of gear for ret.

Firstoff, we are a hybrid class. Getting hacked off that people don't min/max is kinda absurd.

Secondly, gearing a shockadin first became viable when they put damage on healing gear. Now that we've converted to spell power, gearing a shockadin is easy. And the same gear that provides maximum spell damage also gives them maximum healing.

That said, I've never seen the point. Ret damage surpasses and holy damage isn't far behind. Speccing holy and timing a JoR + Holy Shock + Hammer combo... that makes more sense to me than losing out on the top holy talents for shockadin. On the other hand, top of the holy tree looks super weak for pvp so maybe they do have a point.

Because life is sometimes just too short to worry about viability and you should just have a good laugh while you go along. Shockadin was never a viable spec, but because of it, it seemed somehow special. The tree without a tree.

Shockadins everywhere, I salute you.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscesthepally
    why do people still want shockadin? the new retribution has just adopted the same damn play style as shockadin was!

think about it, why did people make shockadin:

to do damage, and be able to heal usefully

Ret is now exactly that.

with blessing of light folded into the base of our healing spells, and having sheath of light.. My ret pally is doing (initial)FoL's for 1250-1300 non crit and 1980-2100 crit (on crit sheath of light ticks for around 350ish I believ), Holy light 4100-4200, then on crit 6-6.5k(and then ticks for like 900)

therefore I propose that shockadin is simply an illusion now.

If you are a shockadin not on ptr or beta, you have no right to argue with me.

This entire statement is wrong. I did not make a Shockadin to be able to heal at all.
    I made a Shockadin because Paladin healing in arenas is brokenly bad, and i dont like Ret.
    Prot PvP......lol.

Shockadin is the ONLY class in wow that has 100% Unmitigated Damage capabilities.
    Magic is not affected by armor.
    There is no Holy Resistance.

100% Unmitigated. We are the purest DPS Class in wow (yes, i just corrupted the normal definition of pure DPS). This is why i made a shockadin. 1107 Spell Damage with current coefficients = 3k Judgements of Righteousness. 4.5k Holy Shocks. Even on high resilience (400+) its 2.4k JoR and 2.8k Shocks.

In Wotlk Holy Shocks CD is going to 6 seconds.
    That means Shockadin now has MORE Viability for what it is intended for.
    A Shockadin is not built as a raid spec.

But in wotlk Spellpower instead of heal/damage is going to make it so i only need one set of gear to play my Shock spec in 2's and my Holy spec in 5's. The Lamellar gear was originally intended for Prot Paladin PvP (ROFL) Shockadins used it for enhanced damage and crit.
    Now we can just use the Heal set, as it will have more spellpower than anything available, and plenty of crit as well.

I am excited about the changes for Ret Pallies, its just not my playstyle.
    I am very excited about the new abilies for a Shockadin. 30 yard Judgements beign one of my favorites. You ever been kited to death by a paladin shocking you and keeping you slowed 20-30 yards out from him.

The Shockadin.
    You will respect my authority!!!

Considering I have beaten s3 Ret Paladins in t5 Holy Gear with my PTR Holy Paladin makes me think you all have no idea what you are talking about.

I have also tried out a proper Shockadin spec on a beta private server, and it's nothing to be scoffed at. It's very viable for 2v2 and with Judgements of the Wise we are pretty much oom immune.

Also, they are fun as hell in BGs. It's always hilarious to imagine the look on kiters as they get blasted for half their health from 20 yards.

read first three lines of first post. shockadins are actually better now than the "op ret" more survivable, shield and heals, and more control with double effect shock.. also never go oom

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Sure shockadins aren't pve viable, lower dps than rets and less effective heals as pure holy but which shockadins cares about pve. It's pvp specc only. But at the moment:

Sanctified Light +6% HS crit
    Holy Power +5% HS crit
    Heart of the Crusader +3% HS crit
    Sanctified Seals +3% HS crit
    [That is 17% talented only (!!) crit on Holy Shock plus Divine Favor = 100% crit.]

Because HS dmg is unmitigated (like mage in plate), now on 6 sec CD and can guarantee INSTANT Holy Light.
    Because they have great survivability and with changes to spell power maxed spell dmg and healing at the same time.
    Because with JotW shockadins probably wont go oom too fast (like it's now).
    And finally:
    Because I want to see: "F**k! Healer nuked me in 10 sec with a HEALING ABILITY!".

You can't go into the Ret tree and not get Conviction...For Healadins or Shockadins.

5% crit to all attacks/spells.