Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Chaos Bolt effect?

i was just looking at the most recent talent calcs and now at the end of the description for CB it says...."Also causes the Warlock's mind to turn chaotic."

wonder what that means exactly....

Re: New Chaos Bolt effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ix
    i was just looking at the most recent talent calcs and now at the end of the description for CB it says...."Also causes the Warlock's mind to turn chaotic."

wonder what that means exactly....
    Could it mean you cant be interrupted or something?
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

hmmm maybe, im thinkin something like that is what happens...an enrage effect hunters can dispel w tranq shot

Sounds more like negative effect to me, similar to the killshot knockdown.

I'm going to have to play around with that now.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

maybe an effect like wielding Corrupted Ashbringer.
    Or some display effect, Chaotic green glimming arround the Wl xD
    do not flame my english grammar, i´m german i know it´s bad

Quote Originally Posted by Wowittajako
    Damage done by your Immolate has a 8% chance to cause your next Soul Fire spell to be instant cast, cost no mana and consume no soul shard. Lasts 8 sec.
    I have tried this, havent seen it happen yet. anyone able to confirm this? I have tried!!!!

Perhaps like so many of our 51 point talents in Beta, "It's broken at the moment and will be functioning at a later patch."

8% chance of what, i don't get it...

you cast chaos bolt, you gain that chance that your immolate (initial/periodic/both damages?) gives you instant soulfire?

how stupid is that? can't be simply a 8% chance on chaos bolt that you get a sort of nightfall for soulfire?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdar
    8% chance of what, i don't get it...

you cast chaos bolt, you gain that chance that your immolate (initial/periodic/both damages?) gives you instant soulfire?

how stupid is that? can't be simply a 8% chance on chaos bolt that you get a sort of nightfall for soulfire?
    You're likely to get two or more times dmg done by your Immolate in 8 sec, which means more than 2*8% chance. I like it better than 8% chance per Chaos Bolt. And since pretty much everything revolves around Immolate when you're Fire specced, it'll be on your target pretty much constantly.

The proc chance is a bit low.. I'd rather have it cause you to get the effect when you score 2 criticals in a row(with any fire spell), I'm quite sure that happens more often then "8% on immolate damage"

But it's a step in the right direction, and so is adding CB to shadow and flame

My question is if it is the Initial hit on imolate, or can the ticks also effect the 8%. If its also the ticks then thats pretty nice.

From what the spell says about caotic mind, it says after you cast your chaos bolt you have 8 secs i think (dont have spell infront of me) for the affect to work. So I hope it works with the ticks also. Not sure... if anyone knows. Plz help us all out.

Chaos Bolt (Tier 11) damage increased and mana cost reduced. Now causes the effect Chaotic Mind when used.
    Chaotic Mind - Damage done by your Immolate has a 8% chance to cause your next Soul Fire spell to be instant cast, cost no mana and consume no soul shard. Lasts 8 sec
    Every Chaos Bolt causes the chaotic mind effect. Now, the chaotic mind effect has a 8% chance when immolate is doing ANY dmg (Initial or Dot) to give a mana, cast time and shard free Soulfire. This effect (free Soulfire) lasts for 8sec.

That's how I understand it....

Another very good thing is that they added Chaos Bolt to Shadow and Flame and Bane aswell

EDIT: Misstyped Soul Fire instead of Chaos Bolt...

warlocks get cool stuff...then it gets taken away

Yeah. I'd expect them to be more precise about the initial Immolate dmg if that was what they meant. In imp Immolate they are specific about that too.

And SoulFire was always a part of the Bane talent. (6 sec base cast, 4 sec with 5/5 Bane.)

What if they seperate it from the Chaos Bolt itself and make it more like NF ? NF is a way lower Tier talent, so giving Immolate ticks a 4% chance to 'enter a Chaotic Mind state' might be okay in weight. NF procs off more than just one DoT, but it also costs 2 talent points and does nothing other than the Shadow Trance state. Chaos Bolt alrdy gives the bolt and it's a 1 point talent. That might balance eachother out a bit.

I must say the "two crits in a row" sounds nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuck
    Yeah. I'd expect them to be more precise about the initial Immolate dmg if that was what they meant. In imp Immolate they are specific about that too.

And SoulFire was always a part of the Bane talent. (6 sec base cast, 4 sec with 5/5 Bane.)

What if they seperate it from the Chaos Bolt itself and make it more like NF ? NF is a way lower Tier talent, so giving Immolate ticks a 4% chance to 'enter a Chaotic Mind state' might be okay in weight. NF procs off more than just one DoT, but it also costs 2 talent points and does nothing other than the Shadow Trance state. Chaos Bolt alrdy gives the bolt and it's a 1 point talent. That might balance eachother out a bit.

I must say the "two crits in a row" sounds nice too.
    they want to give ppl a reason to spec chaos bolt... giving us a lower tier talent wont really make ppl spec CB over DS

Quote Originally Posted by MortuariusBC
    they want to give ppl a reason to spec chaos bolt... giving us a lower tier talent wont really make ppl spec CB over DS
    I didn't mean adding it as a seperate talent in a lower Tier. I meant to seperate the Chaotic Mind effect from the actual Bolt itself. It would still be the same talent, only it gives your Immolate the chance to enter the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuck
    I didn't mean adding it as a seperate talent in a lower Tier. I meant to seperate the Chaotic Mind effect from the actual Bolt itself. It would still be the same talent, only it gives your Immolate the chance to enter the state.
    But that takes away from Chaos Bolt looking sexy.

okay going back and messing with it some more, I never noticed the timer after Chaos bolt with all the lag - with the new patch up I was in and playing with no problems. hopefully this remains to do real tests.

I still never proc'd the POM effect. I went through most of Zangarmarsh running around, chaos bolt, and immolating everything.

I will say this before I was getting weak chaos bolts now that all the talents seem to be working properly (not sure how many people suffered they talent point bugs) I'm getting upward of 4k bolts without proc's or trinketing So I am sure 5k+ Chaos Bolts are going to be normal at this level when the patch is released. Still not more powerful then shadowbolt but not weak either.

EDIT:

Small problem with the Chaotic Mind Proc - it pops the moment the spell is cast not when it lands, and you take 1.5 seconds to cast Immolate - so the windor of oppurtunity is very small unless it works from existing immolate dots on the mob but then you waiting on the tick timer, still causing you to have to cast to up your %. I have still yet to get the POM proc.

So for this ability to be viable eventhough the Chaos bolt on its own is not too bad, the % needs to go up significantly to something along the line of 30-50% or make the 8% proc the POM effect directly from the Chaos Bolt, which would be fair, since the cooldown is low to make it more direct as faster proccing would make us in need of a nerf, locks would be swinging Soulfires left and right.

So it needs to retooled a bit, so far in over 100 casts of Chaos Bolt and Immo, not one proc for an instant. So either the % is way off because from at least 2 casts per mob and 1-2 tickstimes about 50 mobs thats almost 200 possible chances to proc 8% would have granted me 16 procs. So either its broken on the PTR - not surprising or the mechanics timer is too short to get the proc off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowittajako
    Damage done by your Immolate has a 8% chance to cause your next Soul Fire spell to be instant cast, cost no mana and consume no soul shard. Lasts 8 sec.
    wheres this...

Quote Originally Posted by champ288
    wheres this...
    not to worry, its being removed next patch ;D