Wotlk leveling - Prot or Retri

Hey guys. I've been leveling as prot using the recruit a friend service. I am currently lvl 46 and leveling with my friend who is a holy pally. It's going great and i'm planning on going prot all the way. My question is: Is it better for me to spec ret as Wotlk comes out? I probably wont have the best gear when I am lvl 70, because it will be mostly quest items. I'm looking for the fastest way to 80, but I also want easy access to the instances (which is a lot easyer if I'm prot and my friend is holy).

Re: Wotlk leveling - Prot or Retri

Retribution would be the way to go.

Leveling as Protection is not only fundamentally slower but popular AOE-grinding locations will probably be crowded. And next to that AOE-grinding is more gear intensive.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Yea I kinda figured that, but is it possible to get some decent prot gear from quests while leveling?

15+ Year Old Account

From just quests I would say that it will be similar to levelling in Outland. Trust me when I say it is incredibly tedious to level as a prot paladin. Instances are great fun, and grabbing three mobs at once is ok, but with poor gear I take a lot of damage. And everything is very mana intensive. I find that as prot, I am drinking after two or three kills, which in themselves take about five or six times longer than a dps class. Sometimes gathering multiple mobs is difficult, but it sure does maximise efficiency -- at least in terms of killing stuff as a paladin. :/

Gaiwyn aka Dvaenya of Proudmoore
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarel
    Yea I kinda figured that, but is it possible to get some decent prot gear from quests while leveling?
    Some, but there is a whole lot more of Retribution gear.

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

I wil be doing Ret, if only because currently I can chain pull and never run out of mana. Then pop heals on self and continue with a judge BAM 20% back. No need to carry water except if you have to rez a comrade. Prot has ALOT more downtime.

Think ill try to lvl as prot if it takes to long ill go shockadin or ret!

Well prot is bit demanding gear wise, so without a very good lvl 70 kit id say ret is the best choice.

For my self, i think ill be raping the level 70 instances in prot spec for few levels, solo

New blessing of sanctuary keeps me on full mana all the time, and seal of light heals for 500 on proc if needed(when i have +2 caster mobs in a pack)

Had SH in mind, but when i got to frist boss on ptr he kept spaming deathcoil on me and smacking me very slowly from the back:/
    Pulling all the non elites in BM and aoeing them in one go should give shitloads of xp aswell

Depends on how you lvl. Prot does a LOT more dps now. (Since you want a high DPS melee weapon, and HoR hits nice and hard.)

If 70 and you like tanking instances, stick with prot.

If your <58 and don't do instances all that much, Go with Ret.

Or try both, it's only a few gold to respec if it doesn't work for you.

Retribution is the only way! Let's pwn some skulls!
    YOU FACE NOT MALCHEZAR ALONE, BUT THE LEGIONS I COMMAND!

Im staying Prot personally and heres why.

Yes, Ret will most likely be faster, but the amount of people that will be in the starting zones when the xpac goes live at 12 is going to be nuts.

So a few days before im getting a group together that will start running instances asap, Thus avoiding the zerg of questers. XP should be just as good if not better and faster plus gear drops.

I don't know...

I am going to level prot, as I did from release of BC.

Currently my record is pulling 16 same level mobs, I don't go below 1/2 health ever, and with new Blessing of Sanc, I never go below full mana...

I am in Sunwell and BT gear, run about 700 spell power, with 1100 block value, after judging

1800 xp (rested, of course) * 16 in 60-70 seconds is not bad xp... thanks to blessing of sanc, there is no downtime, and even if I do need a little mana, after healing myself post fight, I pop Divine Plea, and off I go again...

There are tons of spots to grab lots of mobs... I agree with the previous guy that said it will be a madhouse, though, because it will...

I was thinking of doing same strat, of just instancing as much as possible, and then at 80 go back and do quests, for cash.

Prot would be faster but you would need to completely regear before the expansion hits. Start grabbing tank gear with STR on it and get a high DPS sword.

Otherwise questing and finding gear if ret from said quests is way easier/enjoyable way to level.

BoSanc and ret judgements, neither of them will go OOM while leveling, ever.

I have been lvling as prot. With a SoR at lvl 75 i would suggest soloing as prot IF you are a tank and wanna run instances when you can. Its a lot faster with single mobs now, lol 14k SoR crits! Plus being able to run through zones and grabbing all the mobs you need and aoeing them down is good too. Then Ret was good too can kill single mobs quick only little down time. to be honest i suggest lvling however you want, its all close to the same now, just choose what you enjoy doing more

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by burningcacti
    to be honest i suggest lvling however you want, its all close to the same now, just choose what you enjoy doing more
    Spot on. And if it's like that in the final release version the Blizzard has succeeded in my eyes

Btw. I used to AOE grind as holy (@ 70 in BC), because of all the +spelldamage from +heal and the fact that I could heal myself out of anything it went about as fast as my Prot AOE grind. Is that a viable way of levelling or is holy a bit gimped on that?
    I would imagine it would at least be possible for a couple of levels if you have good heal gear now, but I don't know.
    My name is Necrox, and I'm an altoholic.

i would think you could aoe grind alright with a holy pally, sadly i de'd all my holy gear when i joined beta so i can't try it out for ya. Prot for life imo!