Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    I was just thinking that considering shadowweaving is going to be a buff on the priest instead of your target, if I cast a DOTas my first spell (we all usually start with VT) will that DoT get the benefit of just a 2% stack of my shadowweaving and will ignore the next stack when I cast my next spell?

    Ie. Do dots get the shadowweaving increase only at the time they are cast or will they get the shadowweaving increase if it changes over over their duration?

  2. #2

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    I guess the dot damage increases, even when u cast it without stacks. I tried it on the ptr but i don't remember anymore

  3. #3

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Reason I ask is if you trinket to get a temp spellpower buff it doesnt affect existing dots, only dots cast when the buff was active.

    If dots work in the same way with respect to shadowweaving stacks (now it's a self buff) it's going to affect our early spell rotation dramatically.

  4. #4

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Reason I ask is if you trinket to get a temp spellpower buff it doesnt affect existing dots, only dots cast when the buff was active.

    If dots work in the same way with respect to shadowweaving stacks (now it's a self buff) it's going to affect our early spell rotation dramatically.
    It is a debuff on the mob, not a buff on you. Therein should lie the difference. :-)

  5. #5

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    It is a debuff on the mob, not a buff on you. Therein should lie the difference. :-)
    it was, now it isn't any more

  6. #6

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    They changed it then ^_^

    Sorry, 3 months afk have taken their toll on my up to dateness.

    If it is a buff on you then there is simply no way it CAN buff DoT's already ticking without changing how trinkets work/writing a whole new code for that buff. Doubt they would do that.

    You could get a stack up on critters before the fight though.

  7. #7

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    They changed it then ^_^

    Sorry, 3 months afk have taken their toll on my up to dateness.

    If it is a buff on you then there is simply no way it CAN buff DoT's already ticking without changing how trinkets work/writing a whole new code for that buff. Doubt they would do that.

    You could get a stack up on critters before the fight though.
    i think its not that dramatic, since mindflay stacks up the buff every tick

  8. #8

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    How long does the stack last, 10 secs still?

    If mindflay puts one on every tick would not a DoT each tick? Or do they do it upon application?

    Is this cause of mind flay now being like arcane missiles in that each hit can crit/counts as seperate?

  9. #9

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Today I tried it. dotting a mob with SW:P and another one too, to stack the shadowweaving buff to like 5. It DOESN'T increase the sw from the first mob dotted.
    And it doesn't even increase if u refresh it on him with mind flay. u have to recast it if u want that it does more damage

  10. #10

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    It is a 15 second stack on you. It's awesome. You can finish a mob and start your next mob with a 5 stack weaving already going.

    I always thought DoT's increased as weaving increased and not needing a recast? Is that not the case? Or is your test not working on the first mob but the second mob is increasing with weaving?

  11. #11

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by Fmr
    Today I tried it. dotting a mob with SW:P and another one too, to stack the shadowweaving buff to like 5. It DOESN'T increase the sw from the first mob dotted.
    And it doesn't even increase if u refresh it on him with mind flay. u have to recast it if u want that it does more damage
    This is my point exactly... we won't be casting SW:P until 5 stacks of shadowweaving or we'll cast it twice very quickly.

    I'm thinking i'll start with VT, DP, MB, SW, MF... hopefully I get a crit with on of the last 3 spells, meaning I can apply the strongest version of SW:P (+ trinkets) for refresh. In addition we won't be able to live with 2/3 shadowweaving coz getting max stacks quickly is going to be necessary to get SW:P on quickly.

  12. #12

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    You'd might want to go Mind Flay, Vamp Touch and then Mind Blast. Mind Flay gives you 3 stacks of Weaving with one cast. That way, you have replinshment started, 5 stack of weaving ready for SW:Pain and D:Plague.

  13. #13

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    You'd might want to go Mind Flay, Vamp Touch and then Mind Blast. Mind Flay gives you 3 stacks of Weaving with one cast. That way, you have replinshment started, 5 stack of weaving ready for SW:Pain and D:Plague.
    Unless it's been changed, MF gives 1 stack.

  14. #14

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Unless it's been changed, MF gives 1 stack.
    at the moment it gives 3 on ptr

  15. #15

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Wow, thats a significant change and a quick way to build stacks.... MF, VT, SW:P should see the SW:P land with the 5th stack... i'll probably MF, VT, DP... if MF crit i'd throw on SW:P, if not i'd MB, MF until I crit and then throw on SW:P with the imp spirit tap buff along with any 'on use' trinkets. That should see SW:P get applied at the max rate for the entirety of the encounter.

    I guess some analysis would need to be done to see if it's actually worth delaying SW:P to get it up at it's max damage rate... I suspect it will be for long encounters, and no for short ones.

    Considering the change I think i'll definitely take 3/3 shadowweaving, I think getting to max stacks quickly is going to be necessary and a 66% chance to stack a buff isn't going to cut it at times.

  16. #16

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Just to clarify, if mind flay renews the DoT it is renewed with the spell power when it was first cast?

    Therefore popping trinkets, tap, etc will be retained as long as it never drops off?

    (also, when it is renewed I have assumed there is no lost time? It will retain 3 sec tick 3 sec tick instead of 3 sec tick 2 sec renewed 3 sec tick else the talent is lacklustre and would cost DPS)

  17. #17

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    The spell is renewed, meaning any on use buffs etc are kept as long as the spell doesn't drop off.

    And it's been widely commented on and confirmed that the dot continues to tick at regular 3 second intervals regardless of when it's refreshed.

  18. #18

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    The spell is renewed, meaning any on use buffs etc are kept as long as the spell doesn't drop off.

    And it's been widely commented on and confirmed that the dot continues to tick at regular 3 second intervals regardless of when it's refreshed.
    Sorry, I only been back from abroad for about 5-6 days and never found out that stuff. I guessed it MUST be so, but double checking is always worthwhile. <3

  19. #19

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    I believe DOTs use your current SP at every tick, so popping trinkets just work as long as the trinket duration.

  20. #20

    Re: Question: Shadowweaving moving to self buff

    Quote Originally Posted by proy
    I believe DOTs use your current SP at every tick, so popping trinkets just work as long as the trinket duration.
    Source? They never have worked like that....


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •