Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Chaos Bolt now deals Chaos damage instead of Fire damage.

Not to moan prematurely before it all goes live and whatnot, but i only just got off having an awesome amount of fun on the PTR as destro and this change means 20% less damage on chaos bolt (emberstorm + CoE). Depending on how the mechanic works of these two stacking it may not be a straight up 20%, but whatever. Kind of hope the damage gets tweaked back up to compensate, i know they said they're reviewing damage all the time, so i hope that the intention was for the damage to be around how it was with those two and not without.

On the plus side, i guess no-one's got any real resistances to chaos damage apart from those with a blanket magic resistance (i assume chaos still falls into the magic school). Also, the whole instant soul fire thing is awesomely fun, hope they don't change that.

For those who haven't tried destro yet, it actually seems totally grind-viable now, my mana regen is sweet and my hp is always being topped up with the DS-like health regen on fel armour, had no down time at all on 68-70 mobs around Black Temple. Mobs also die insanely fast on an immolate > CoE > Shadowfury > Chaos Bolt > Incinerate > Conflag > Shadowburn rotation.

Re: Chaos Bolt now deals Chaos damage instead of Fire damage.

CoE and Emberstorm still increase damage of Chaos Bolt, so it haven't lost any damage.

Really? Wonder if that's an over-sight or intentional.

Dunno, but CoE also increase holy damage so i think it is intended. I think that it just increase magic damage now instead of fire+nature+etc.

CoE now increases all magic even if it, somehow is from a physical damage school(as long as it's magic and not a melee strike, but i don't think this game has that kind of magical attacks)

i haven't tried the new chaos bolt, yet.. i'm planning to, but i didn't feel like grinding more dailies to respec yesterday, so i think i'll do it today

I can't see how Chaos Bolt could have been overpowered, I mean, mine didn't even reach the samage of a non)immolated incinerate, it was close, but not quite..

The instant soul fire thing is gone

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    CoE now increases all magic even if it, somehow is from a physical damage school(as long as it's magic and not a melee strike, but i don't think this game has that kind of magical attacks)
    Perhaps some hunter attacks and rogue poisons?

Quote Originally Posted by Tygroen
    Perhaps some hunter attacks and rogue poisons?
    heh, no.. hunter attacks are fire(explosive) or arcane(arcane shot) and rogue poisons are nature..

i don't think the concept of physical magic attacks exist in this game.. yet.

The Vanguard necromancer's primary damage spell is in the physical school, and since i used to play it, it kinda just popped up when i was thinking about it ^.-'

Currently sitting at 1091 Spellpower.

Non-immolated targets get Incinerated for roughly 1600 average.
    Immolated targets get Incinerated for roughly 1750 average, as expected.

Chaos Bolted targets get hit for roughly 2300 average.

CoE affects both spells.

So, yes, Chaos Bolt (at least with my level of spellpower) is worth casting.

I am rather depressed they removed the Chaos Mind buff, though. The extra proc kept things interesting, and the possibility of a free, instant-cast Soulfire is delicious...

Quote Originally Posted by RabidSniper
    So, yes, Chaos Bolt (at least with my level of spellpower) is worth casting.
    But incinerate will outscale Chaos Bolt as soon as more spellpower is obtained.
    This user has been banned.

heh, no.. hunter attacks are fire(explosive) or arcane(arcane shot) and rogue poisons are nature.
    I'm pretty sure that rogue poisons will be boosted by CoE because they are counted as a magic (nature), thou i don't have any idea about hunter abilities as i don't play one. If their damage is arcane/nature/whatever i would say that it shall be boosted as well, but i can't confirm that in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryven
    Mobs also die insanely fast on an immolate > CoE > Shadowfury > Chaos Bolt > Incinerate > Conflag > Shadowburn rotation.
    No, they don't. That is 12 seconds, at least, of spell casting. That is not a quick kill.

A year ago a kara-geared fire mage I had was killing 70-71 elementals in skettis and/or elemental plateau in well under 10 seconds.

Today on live an affliction lock (or sl/sl, no real difference) I have, in full pvp gear, can dispatch 4+ of those elementals in 20 seconds or so, ending at full hp, full mana, and with the bodies of the NPCs stacked at his feet for easy looting.

Taking 12 seconds, with the new talents, to kill a level 68 mob is NOT "insanely fast" killing for a nuking class, or probably even "reasonably fast" killing. It's something more like "mediocre killing speed for a fresh 70." It is especially not fast on the PTR, opposed to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Varithorn1
    But incinerate will outscale Chaos Bolt as soon as more spellpower is obtained.
    Probably not. I agree, if we were allowed to stack Spellpower indefinitely, then yes it obviously would. But BLizzard should be watching the numbers at 80 to see how the two compare. Regardless, as long as the two are *equal* in damage, it would still be much better to cast Chaos Bolt (no resists, no partial damage, etc.). Although... at that point, it very well might be better to pick up Demonic Sacrifice, dropping Demonic Power and Emp. Imp.

Quote Originally Posted by satty
    I'm pretty sure that rogue poisons will be boosted by CoE because they are counted as a magic (nature), thou i don't have any idea about hunter abilities as i don't play one. If their damage is arcane/nature/whatever i would say that it shall be boosted as well, but i can't confirm that in any way.
    yes, but they're magic damage, not physical..

physical magic attacks actually cause.. physical damage, not arcane or nature or holy
    i'm not sure.. but i think thunderclap is an example of a physical magic attack, as it causes physical damage, but uses(or used) magic rules to apply its damage..

i wonder if it's actually affected by it or not o.0 probably not since CoE just boosts magical damage, and not the damage of "magical spells"..
    if you get what i mean

Demonic Sacrifice would provide more damage than Chaos Bolt, making this another poorly designed destruction talent.
    This user has been banned.

i played wiht this for about 30 mins today my highest incinerate crit was 5100 including immolate but yet my average chaos bolt crit was 5500. chaos is about .3 second faster cast then my incinerate.....now i know this depends on gear but the only issue i have with the spell is fitting it in my rotation since ill either run 18 sec with corruption or 15 sec without corruption, and it being a 12 sec cast im gona hit a area where the CD is on my dot renewl....but its a decent at least i kill dc boom about 5 times using it

added note this is with 4xt6 bonus
    maybe...just maybe blizzard will realize one day that you think naming a tree blood they would have at least one crappy bleed effect in it...

Demonic Sacrifice would provide more damage than Chaos Bolt, making this another poorly designed destruction talent.

I'm not so sure it would. It would need a very careful numbers pass.

Just by itself, DS would provide more damage. However, for a straight PvE build, you'd only pick up the improved armors talent; whereas, you'd likely be losing not only Chaos Bolt, but Demonic Power and Emp. Imp.

Would 10% increased fire damage and a slight gain in Spellpower (from improved Fel Armor) be equal to or better than all of the following combined: (referencing Thamos's post) ~200 higher damage non-resistable nuke that casts quicker, continual Imp DPS, and fairly regular and often 20% boost to crit for a single spell (from Emp. Imp, when the imp crits)?

I don't know. I'm curious, but I certainly don't know the answer.

well till the point my imp goes oom he doing about 177 dps by himself so the added damage is nice. but i was worried about the imp's constant crit rating. my imp critted 5/35 shots which is about 14%. i tried 2 build out one with 2/3 in improved imp w/ 3/3 in empowered imp. the other was 3/3 in improved imp and 2/3 empowered.

3/3 improved imp & 2/3 empowered imp
    imp did about 9 more dps wasnt really noticeable i had to take a few trials

2/3 improved imp & 3/3 empowered
    i did about 3 trial here imp average was about 180 dps so i really couldnt try personal dps due to being on a pvp server and someone decided to gank me while life tapping but im gona try it a couple times in the future
    maybe...just maybe blizzard will realize one day that you think naming a tree blood they would have at least one crappy bleed effect in it...

They should just get rid of demonic sacrifice alltogether.. it's a poorly designed talent that goes against the whole class design..

And with it, every single destruction 51 pointer should provide more then 10% damage, which just cannot be assumed to happen

i haven't tried the new chaos bolt, yet.. i'm planning to, but i didn't feel like grinding more dailies to respec yesterday, so i think i'll do it today

I can't see how Chaos Bolt could have been overpowered, I mean, mine didn't even reach the samage of a non)immolated incinerate, it was close, but not quite..

you need money on beta or PTR?

i have about 20k on the PTR if you do lemme know