Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow priest glyphs A failure

Guys i was reading about the glyphs I have a mage a rogue and a priest and i realize that the priest glyphs are the worst all the other class has very very useful glyphs but the priest has awful especial for the shadow skills

here is the link to watch for yourself
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?items=16.5

Re: Shadow priest glyphs A failure

Are you mental?

The Healing Circle and Dispel Magic glyphs are insane. While I'd admit the Spriest glyphs are...missing, the SWP glyph is helpful.

Still they're not at all all bad for all priests.

Glyph of Fade/Fading, nice cauz ur able to remove slowing effekts with it...
    And the Power Word Shield Glyphe seams very usefull too...
    (Both 4 PvP ;>)

Maybe there will be some for PvE Stuff to soon

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeklus
    Are you mental?

The Healing Circle and Dispel Magic glyphs are insane. While I'd admit the Spriest glyphs are...missing, the SWP glyph is helpful.

Still they're not at all all bad for all priests.
    I Think he meant sum especially for Shadow, like "swp now holds 5sec longer" or "more crit to da spellZ" stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Neeklus
    While I'd admit the Spriest glyphs are...missing, the SWP glyph is helpful.
    As you may noticed, Mind Flay refreshes the duration of SWP. The Glyphs are very useful to PvP and Raidholy-Priests, but not for Shadows. Maybe Mind Flay, but i don't really care about the 10 feet in a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by cornflakE
    Maybe Mind Flay, but i don't really care about the 10 feet in a raid.
    You should, you really should. I was asked to sit out on a certain boss in MH for the first couple of kills because my range was too low to avoid AoE....

Course it was survivable - but given the choice I would love the 10 feet.

As for the rest:

Shadow word death doing more damage is good.

umm...

That is it. Coincidentally I was looking at the page of them and coming to the exact same conclusion as I did so.

I do not see how blizz will fix this, glyphs were supposed to give variation and choice, out of 6 slots we can just about fill 3 (who doesn't want a free levitate?). The shadowfiend one you'll take if nothing else is about I guess.

I can only hope options are added, cause this is pretty poor. How about an AoE glyph? A glyph for dispersion (giving it PvE viability would be good). Maybe even a glyph to make shadowform cheaper (penalising switching out less).

Those are just random ideas to show that there is plenty that would be doable.... but I should be able to fill 6 slots without wasting one on cheaper fade 'just cause it is better than nothing'.

The Power Word Shield and Dispel Glyphs are excellent PvP Shadow Priest glyphs.

Shadow Word: Death Glyph is a DPS increase.

But Shadow Priests get nothing to compare with Glyph of Fireball or Frostbolt.

But be glad, the best Firelocks are getting is Glyph of Immolate. Probably better than Glyph of Shadow Word: Death, but not as good as Mages.

I don't know enough about Survival Hunters and Ret Paladins to compare or I would.

The lack of a Greater Heal Glyph and lack of a pure-dps oriented Shadow Glyph are pretty shameful examples of Blizz's attention to Spriests, in my opinion of course. Glyph of Regrowth is probably better than half or so of the priest glyphs put together.

as a shadow priest the one im most excited about its the Glyph of PW:S....
    um yeah.....

They will add more Glyphs after the LK release, there is still a bit hope for ShadowPriest ^_^

But i do like the Glyph of MindFlay.

My selection of glyphs:

(Link version) http://web27190.web08.talkactive.net/media/glyps.html

Major:

- Glyph of Shadow Word: Pain
    2x Emerald Pigment (Jadefire Ink)

- Glyph of Shadow Word: Death
    2x Azure Pigment (Ink of the Sea)

- Glyph of Mind Flay
    2x Nether Pigment (Ethereal Ink)

Minor:

- Glyph of Levitate
    1x Emerald Pigment (Jadefire Ink)

- Glyph of Shadowfiend
    2x Azure Pigment (Ink of the Sea)

- Glyph of Fading
    1x Dusky Pigment (Midnight Ink)

I'm quite happy with these, even I'm disappointed that no glyph enchant Mind Blast.

Shadow word death is no longer used in pve raiding, and the glyph for shadow word death, is basicly no change in dps.

Mind flay glyph is excellent though!

Quote Originally Posted by aholmer
    Shadow word death is no longer used in pve raiding, and the glyph for shadow word death, is basicly no change in dps.
    What? Since when and where? To both those statements.

Since our mana efficiency is ok, only the death, flay, and shadowfiend glyphs have any real likelyhood of being useful. Too much filler in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxa
    Glyph of Fade/Fading, nice cauz ur able to remove slowing effekts with it...
    And the Power Word Shield Glyphe seams very usefull too...
    (Both 4 PvP ;>)
    Correct me if i am wrong, but the glyph of fade would be a "bad" choice if you wanted it for removing slow effects?
    Since it increases duration AND the cooldown by 50%? meaning you can use it LESS often.

Quote Originally Posted by cornflakE
    As you may noticed, Mind Flay refreshes the duration of SWP. The Glyphs are very useful to PvP and Raidholy-Priests, but not for Shadows. Maybe Mind Flay, but i don't really care about the 10 feet in a raid.
    it isnt 10 feet... its 10 yards... about 20 feet more than 10. personally i think blizz should just increase the range of flay without the glyph. Its range really sucks. That being said, this glyph is awesome for PVE. (no slow for pvp sucks the big one.)

A glyph for dispersion (giving it PvE viability would be good).
    I am sorry but that is about the most insulting idea I have ever read. A glyph... to make our 51 point talent... viable. How about this... how about our 51 point talent actually becoming viable without a god damned glyph because I just spent 50 points to get it!

What? Since when and where? To both those statements.
    Shadow Word Death is virtually useless to put into your spell rotation with the new mind flay. If you're in a fight where you cannot get within range to mind flay... then use death. Otherwise... refesh dots, cast mind blast and fill the middle with mind flay. P.S. Touch is a boost of 50 DPS... if you clip mind flay to recast it or miss re-casting you will lose that extra 50 DPS.

So... in short, SWeath and Touch are now useless for the Shadow Priests personal DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Shadow Word Death is virtually useless to put into your spell rotation with the new mind flay. If you're in a fight where you cannot get within range to mind flay... then use death. Otherwise... refesh dots, cast mind blast and fill the middle with mind flay. P.S. Touch is a boost of 50 DPS... if you clip mind flay to recast it or miss re-casting you will lose that extra 50 DPS.

So... in short, SWeath and Touch are now useless for the Shadow Priests personal DPS.
    Sorry if I was unclear. Could you show me WHY Shadow word death at a 1.5 second cast is doing less damage than 1.5 ticks of flay?

Because it ruins your spell rotation and the bonus you get by adding SWeath into your rotation is very minor and not worth the time invested in using it.

Your idea spell rotation is MB > Flay. Ofcourse, after you put out your pain and embrace if needed. Use Touch if it is needed for raid utility... don't if you would rather do better DPS. Clipping Mind Flay to re-cast Touch is going to cost you DPS. So if you are able to get away from needing the replenishment buff for your group/raid, do so.

...and yes, this is why so many people are bitching about Shadow Priests not being that great. We now gain more from Intellect than we do Spirit and we are now removing spells from our rotation and making ourselves into a 2 button class.

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Because it ruins your spell rotation and the bonus you get by adding SWeath into your rotation is very minor and not worth the time invested in using it.

Your idea spell rotation is MB > Flay. Ofcourse, after you put out your pain and embrace if needed. Use Touch if it is needed for raid utility... don't if you would rather do better DPS. Clipping Mind Flay to re-cast Touch is going to cost you DPS. So if you are able to get away from needing the replenishment buff for your group/raid, do so.

...and yes, this is why so many people are bitching about Shadow Priests not being that great. We now gain more from Intellect than we do Spirit and we are now removing spells from our rotation and making ourselves into a 2 button class.
    Right. My question, for a third time, is show this to be true.

Theorycrafting = maths. Show me a reason that Flay out performs VT.

VT = 850 base dmg in 1.5 seconds
    flay = 558 base damage in 3 seconds.

Yes they scale differently - but implying that flay is ever more DPS seems farcical. We will always be using touch in my humble opinion.

Shadow word death: 750-870 dmg in a 1.5 second cast. Yes it scales worse with haste, same as Mind blast, but it will still be a long time before flay is higher DPS.

Finally, when did shadow priests have a spell rotation? Why is it needed? Use the most efficient and most damaging spell at the correct moment. That is (was) the entire joy of SP raiding, manipulation of all the elements to absolutely maximise DPS and regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Right. My question, for a third time, is show this to be true.

Theorycrafting = maths. Show me a reason that Flay out performs VT.

VT = 850 base dmg in 1.5 seconds
    flay = 558 base damage in 3 seconds.

Yes they scale differently - but implying that flay is ever more DPS seems farcical. We will always be using touch in my humble opinion.

Shadow word death: 750-870 dmg in a 1.5 second cast. Yes it scales worse with haste, same as Mind blast, but it will still be a long time before flay is higher DPS.

Finally, when did shadow priests have a spell rotation? Why is it needed? Use the most efficient and most damaging spell at the correct moment. That is (was) the entire joy of SP raiding, manipulation of all the elements to absolutely maximise DPS and regen.

Afaik Mind Flay can crit now.

Shadow wordeath has a 1,5 second cast? Since when?

When did shadow priests have a spell rotation? You are either being sarcastic or not a good shadow priest. That being said, it is true that there are more spell rotations, which depend of the encounter and/or gear.

1) Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Vampiric Embrace > Mind Flay... basic, mana-efficient
    2) Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Vampiric Embrace > Mind Blast > Mind Flay > Mind Flay... with better gear
    3) Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Vampiric Embrace > Mind Blast > Shadow Word: Death > Mind Flay... mana intensive spell rotation

Obviously VE can be simply removed out of it, some guilds use it, some don't. I thought the rotation was pretty much obvious, at least it was to me when I played a shadow priest for a little while and reading here that SPriests don't have a spell cycle just pissed me off.

EDIT: Since my status here is a newbie and yours, well, isn't, feel free to check some shadow priest guides, nihilum's shadow priest Muqq wrote down a sweet little guide so these rotations weren't just created in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PRmeK
    1:Afaik Mind Flay can crit now.

2:Shadow wordeath has a 1,5 second cast? Since when?

3:When did shadow priests have a spell rotation? You are either being sarcastic or not a good shadow priest. That being said, it is true that there are more spell rotations, which depend of the encounter and/or gear.

1) Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Vampiric Embrace > Mind Flay ... basic, mana-efficient
    2) Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Vampiric Embrace > Mind Blast > Mind Flay > Mind Flay ... with better gear
    3) Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Vampiric Embrace > Mind Blast > Shadow Word: Death > Mind Flay ... mana intensive spell rotation

Obviously VE can be simply removed out of it, some guilds use it, some don't. I thought the rotation was pretty much obvious, at least it was to me when I played a shadow priest for a little while and reading here that SPriests don't have a spell cycle just pissed me off.
    1: Yes. Of course. Point being? What does that have to do with scaling? VT is doing far more damage in a far shorter cast time, with the implication that 3 mind flay crits would STILL be less DPS than a VT is in terms od damage per cast time.

2: Sorry, I was being casual. Since GCD is 1.5 seconds I described an instant as having an Effective cast time of 1.5 seconds. I was right.

3: Shadow priests, have never, hopefully will never, have a rotation.

A rotation is scorch to 5 debuffs 'fireball fireball fireball scorch' repeat ad infinitum. It is a set of spells in a pre-determined order that never changes.

Shadow priests have what is generally described as a 'spell priority system'. In fact, forget it. Quoted from EJ:

7. What is a spell priority system, and how does it apply to Shadow Priests?
    ZOMG I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT ROTATION TO USE.

Sorry, it doesn't quite work like that. Shadow priests may have specific combinations they like to cast (such as MB -> MF -> MF -> MB) but they are part of a general priority system. This priority system is a way to determine what spell to cast next. It is a method to juggle essentially four cooldowns (MB, SW, VT, SW:P).

The spell priority that is generally accepted is...

1. VT
    2. SW:P
    3. MB
    4. SW
    5. MF

This means you always maintain VT, and then always maintain SW:P. If both of these are ticking, use MB if it's up, and then SW. Only MF if all four other spells are on cooldowns.

NOTE: This is a maximum DPS priority list. At lower gear levels, it is common to simply use...

1. VT
    2. SW:P
    3. MF
    Glad you played a shadow priest for a while and got pissed off. GGson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Sorry if I was unclear. Could you show me WHY Shadow word death at a 1.5 second cast is doing less damage than 1.5 ticks of flay?
    http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16452
    You can se in this chart that using SW in the rotation only do 44 DPS more for you...and empty your manabar realy fast. The differents between a MF and a SW on 1,5 sec cast is mana..and if the SW doesnt crit, MF will do more damage (MF crits pretty often, and do alot of damage).

After the last nerf on MF, there is still some use for SW, it can risen your DPS from 3066->3100 with alot of manacost (and the risk of getting killed from a AoE damage from bosses). If its worth it?....dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomwalker
    http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16452
    You can se in this chart that using SW in the rotation only do 44 DPS more for you...and empty your manabar realy fast. The differents between a MF and a SW on 1,5 sec cast is mana..and if the SW doesnt crit, MF will do more damage (MF crits pretty often, and do alot of damage).

After the last nerf on MF, there is still some use for SW, it can risen your DPS from 3066->3100 with alot of manacost (and the risk of getting killed from a AoE damage from bosses). If its worth it?....dont think so.
    Holy cow. That links me to http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t26007-p...29/#post909876

Bye Bye goes my sunday for reading