Thread: PoM nerf?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PoM nerf?

"Prayer of mending will now cause threat for the priest, not the target".

Um, big nerf.

Re: PoM nerf?

If it is giving my priest the threat, then it damn well better show up on my healing, too!

Uh, you know it's threat is based upon the amount healed, right? 700 is a bit low first of all, secondly the threat will be higher if PoM CRITS, and thirdly, this also means we can't preemptively PoM a tank before a pull, or we'll get aggro the instant the boss hits the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushuna
    and thirdly, this also means we can't preemptively PoM a tank before a pull, or we'll get aggro the instant the boss hits the tank.
    Which is why the change sucks.

It helped tanks build up a tiny bit extra threat at the pull, plus healed that initial damage.

Terrible change.

Same here, I don't get the reasoning behind it ? There is simply no explanation from blizzard side, same as for some other stuff, but we might have to live with it.

But gernerally spoken the heal tree is on a good way, some waisting of talent points, so you can`t pick up everything you could need, but there might be a small chance of changing that

I believe it now says "Priest's PoM heals Tank for X" in the combatlog(not sure though)
    Which is probably why it now increases the threat for the priest.

Bad choice by blizzard

I hate to have the tank run into an encounter not pre buffed with everything that can help him hold aggro while the first GH hits. Also I'm worried about the fights where PoM is in constant use like Bloodboil, I might actually have to put some points into -threat

This isnt a nerf and no you wont pull aggro on a pull. Any self respecting tank opens with a shield slam and thats an easy 2k + threat.

Because Druids/DKs have Shield Slam amirite? Think outside "warrior tanks > all others"

Not to mention what happens if the opening Shield Slam gets parried/dodged/misses? Things happen. It's a nerf, albeit not a big one, it's still a nerf. If you take an ability and remove even a SMALL portion of it that is useful, that is called a nerf, period. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by weezel
    This isnt a nerf and no you wont pull aggro on a pull. Any self respecting tank opens with a shield slam and thats an easy 2k + threat.
    need rage to do that

They removed Salvation aswell so i think aggro wont be that much of an issue in wrath.
    And a good tank can taunt or w/e to open with so pre buffing is np.

I think the whole treath system is changed in wrath to, Haven`t tested it or w/e but i think it did.

This is a nerf only when you're grouped with downs tanks.

The nerf is irrelevant.

Pre shield + PoM in a 5 man will still be less aggro than thunderclap. If you are sensible you will also use Fade as and when it all goes wrong - which will like as not be more than enough.

I do not know what PoM will hit for in WotLK but I doubt much beyond 2-2.5k which is still only 1k threat or so. Since I have not played with tanks with less than 1k TPS in ages...... I can only assume in wrath they will do more.

In raids - there will also be earth shield (which must have the same mechanic) and tanks should be doing even more threat with group buffs. Even less of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggly
    need rage to do that
    Imp blood rage. Any self respecting MT will have it so they can open with a shield salm / Heroic strike combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggly
    need rage to do that
    It costs 17 rage, most warriors us bloodrage before they run in, 1 hit with da stick and they've got plenty to shield slam.

I personally open with Shockwave lol.. it's win.

I throw up a rejuv and sometimes have a lifebloom stack rolling on tanks that run in to pull a boss and have only gotten agro once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    The nerf is irrelevant.
    I don't see it as a nerf as it never counted as our healing before. It does now and it can crit. These are all boosts. Everyone is so quick to shout nerf, nerf when all that is happening is abilities are changing. We should see the positives too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    In raids - there will also be earth shield (which must have the same mechanic) and tanks should be doing even more threat with group buffs. Even less of an issue.
    Not true. If you read the Blue it says that Lifebloom and Earthshield are getting the same treatment as PoM. Sure the tanks may be doing more threat with other group buffs, but Earthshield is the same as PoM.

I still think that pre-POM is an option and agree that tanks that are worth anything will realise that pre-healing (or shielding) smooths damage as ye run in. Anyone who doesn't know this will be watching the dead MT as the raid runs in for certain death. Any tank will be able to do some kind of taunt unless ye are a Warlock tank : )

On my warrior I found that, no matter what, a shield slam will just glue your target to you, not quite like it used to do pre-TBC, but much better with the buffs.

Sometimes I feel like there's no hope on getting aggro from dps, and then I shield slam, and BAM that mob starts hitting me..
    I seriously doubt PoM will suffer, because the moment the warrior is hit, he'll have the rage for that shield slam, and WILL grab aggro from the priest with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaes
    [...] Also I'm worried about the fights where PoM is in constant use like Bloodboil, I might actually have to put some points into -threat
    If you do not need -aggro at bloodboil right now, you will not need it with this change either...

1. The threat mechanics associated with PoM and similar type heals from all classes is being changed collectively to be attributed to the healer. As such it's a far cry to call it a nerf, it's a change accross every class, it's not like a single class is gaining an advantage over another.

2. Tanks threat has been boosted signifcantly (approx 30% to make up for Blessing of Salvation)... healing strength isn't being artifically increased by the same value... as such a tanks ability to generate more threat than a healer has increased in real terms. Factored into that is the fact that a healer needs to generate 30% more threat (at range) to pull aggro and all healing threat is evenly divided among any aggro'd mobs. So if 3 mobs are aggroed and you generate 900 healing threat, you actually generated 300 threat to each... it's still going to be terribly hard to pull healing aggro on the intital pull if your tank is doing what he's supposed to.

3. Casting PoM before the pull was always a stupid tactic in a majority of cases anyways. There was never a guarantee that the first hit on the tank was going to be equal to or greater than the amount PoM healed for... basically your first charge would overheal and be wasted. It was always best to cast renew as threat was established and when the tank hit 85% or so cast PoM... this would heal for the full amount, was only 5 or so seconds later in the pull and it was far more effective. The only time I might cast PoM well before a pull was to get PoM off cooldown and cast it at the right time (so 2 PoM went off quickly) but that first PoM was lucky to heal for much anyways.

4. As someone pointed out... Priests have fade and asking players to actually think about how they heal in order not to attract aggro is never a bad thing. If we all know that we can pull aggro with poorly chosen heal spells early then the game is catering more towards being skilled and finding a better way to do things. If you know you're a skilled player you really have nothing to worry about... it's more the noobs or people with half a clue who don't want to have to think that could really care about this change.

5. The mechanic change will now allow mods to attribute the healing from PoM to the priest, something that i'm sure all priests would like to see and helps you evaluate how effective it really is for specific encounters.

6. Blizzard are already thinking about the implications of the change and as they quite rightly pointed out that the intial aggro in a pull is pretty much a non issue, it's more adds spawning mid encounter that are difficult to pick up. As such they are looking at that specific issue and lets face it that some encounters are based around threat managment and being asked this question as a player is something to see as a challenge, not whine about.

In Summary... it won't be a smart idea to load the tank up with a PoM... you're just gonna have to cast it a few seconds later... the real impact of the change will be so infentisimal that people won't even realise the change. It's just another case of people trying to find something to QQ about without really thinking things through logically and objectively.