Spell Mitigation Proposal

Holy Shield Change: For the first 2s that holy shield is active, has the ability to <See Reflect Options Below> the next spell cast on the player. When this occurs, all charges of Holy Shield are immediately consumed. (Possibly increase HS cooldown + number of charges).

Reflect Option 1: Simple spell reflect back to the caster.

Reflect Option 2: Reflects the spell, causing the spell to be diverted to up to 3 targets near the player. The damage done is divided by the number of targets hit. (This would fit into the AoE pattern of most of the paladins abilities, making it different from Warriors).

Reflect Option 3: Different actions based on the current active seal on the paladin:
    SoL: A portion of the spell dmg is converted to life, healing the paladin (or divided among raid members).
    SoW: A portion of the spell dmg is converted to mana (could restore mana to just paladin or raid).
    SoC: A portion of the spell is reflected back at the caster (or see option 2).
    SoJ: Silences the caster for 3s. Spell dmg is still taken. (This would allow paladins to actually pull casters to the group).
    No Seal: Spell dmg still taken. No Reflect.

Note: Does not reflect AoE based dmg. AoE dmg has no effect on HS or its charges.

I think any of these options would work well, I am partial to the 3rd option because it allows for greater thought and skill to figure which effect you want to achieve.

Balance Options:

1. Remove all spell mitigation on talents. (the 6% + stam talent).
    2. Change HoJ back to what it was, having no interrupt ability for spell casting (except of course on stunnable targets).
    3. There are so many knobs to tweek regarding HS, almost any type of balancing is possible. (Ex. could have specific effect based on amount of charges left, could make it possible for spell to reflect to friendly target within X range (randomly), etc etc,).
    4. Make this specific change to HS a separate talent (part of improved HS), or make it a glyph (so it will take up a valuable glyph slot).

Pros:

1. Gives paladins a unique ability that is not just another warrior cloned ability.
    2. Allows paladins a way to gain ranged spell mitigation via personal skill and timing (HoJ can't interupt ranged targets, which casters usually are).
    3. Creates a much wider disparity between skilled and unskilled players. Doesn't rely on passive abilities, but quick reflexes and timing.

Cons:

1. Eats holy shield charges, thus trading the HS melee reduction/threat for spell dmg reduction.
    2. Creates unique situations (ex. paladin tanking many trash mobs, needs HS up, but if caster also on the paladin will eat HS charges, requiring another tank to pick up the caster or it be CC'd).
    3. Takes more skill to use! Possible to miss out on the reflection window component.

I could go on and on with alternatives, but I am only trying to plant a seed here. I feel this is a solid, balanced base for the devs to run with and make a totally unique and fun ability. As I've stated, paladin spell mitigation is fine as it stands right now, but this kind of change could breath more life into the standard HS/Judge/Conc/HotR rotation spam and require the paladin to have to hold off and time certain skills depending on the situation. It also blends right in to the whole paladin motif rather than piggybacking our spell mitigation on passive talents.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Spell Mitigation Proposal

i like the "Make it a Glyph" idea. no extra talent bloating and you don't need to pick it up if you don't want to.

I also had an idea bout how to improve Tankadin's spell mitigation (although i proabably got some of the idea from reading forums and wut not but it's an idea none the less).

Empowered Holy Shield

When Holy Shield is active, you also gain Empowered Holy Shield which absorbs up to 2 direct dmging spell attacks based on your block value, and reflecting Holy Shield's dmg to the caster. Last 8 sec.

Since Tankadins seem to be the designated "block" tanks it would fit the profile. This talent would be linked to HS of course just as Improved Holy shield was.

I do like the idea of there being a glyph that improves HS in some manner to aid in spell mitigation and prevent bloat. There are many fairly simple ways improve this short coming.
    Snap into a Slimjim...Jr!

i like your idea in blue.\
    Angrychaír - 80 Ret Pally
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz+Modan&n=Angrycha%C3%ADr
    Retribution: working as intended.

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by Slimjimjr
    I also had an idea bout how to improve Tankadin's spell mitigation (although i proabably got some of the idea from reading forums and wut not but it's an idea none the less).

Empowered Holy Shield

When Holy Shield is active, you also gain Empowered Holy Shield which absorbs up to 2 direct dmging spell attacks based on your block value, and reflecting Holy Shield's dmg to the caster. Last 8 sec.

Since Tankadins seem to be the designated "block" tanks it would fit the profile. This talent would be linked to HS of course just as Improved Holy shield was.

I do like the idea of there being a glyph that improves HS in some manner to aid in spell mitigation and prevent bloat. There are many fairly simple ways improve this short coming.
    It's too close to warrior...

glyph of holy shield
    when your holy shield is active, your holy shield will heal yourself and 4 nearby allies equal to the direct spell damage absorbed by your shield. can only proc once every 10 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by cog
    Holy Shield Change: For the first 2s that holy shield is active, has the ability to <See Reflect Options Below> the next spell cast on the player. When this occurs, all charges of Holy Shield are immediately consumed. (Possibly increase HS cooldown + number of charges).

Reflect Option 1: Simple spell reflect back to the caster.
    Dont you think that the uniqueness between each tanking class has already been crushed down into a tiny cube of 1 or 2 skills... The reason pallies dont have spell reflect is because they have other skills to compensate for it that the other classes dont.

Its like me going over the the warrior forum and suggesting off the top of my head;

New warrior skill: Shield Throw
    'Hurl your shield upto 20 yards causing X damage, and jumping to 2 nearby enemies'

Lets not try too hard to compress WOW down into 3 classes, blizz are managing to do that themselves overtime.

There is no agro reset..

i like the fact that holy sheild would proc off spells throwing it's dmg so to speak at spell casters that would be really good in pve and pvp (for thoes of you who play pvp, i hate it). It would make tanking spell casters alot easyer since warriors do get heroic throw. Maybe make it 1 or 2 charges and yea make it a glyph so we don;t have to tallent it or put it into tallents.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    15% reduction from talents. 'Nuff said.
    Yeah passive talents. How boring. I'd rather there be some skill, or choice, when deciding how I want to handle incoming attacks. The 15% does work out in the end just fine... but as it is tank pallies are fine just facerolling all their buttons. I'd like more of a challenge, and choice, when it comes to spell mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiai
    Its like me going over the the warrior forum and suggesting off the top of my head;

New warrior skill: Shield Throw
    'Hurl your shield upto 20 yards causing X damage, and jumping to 2 nearby enemies'

Lets not try too hard to compress WOW down into 3 classes, blizz are managing to do that themselves overtime.
    I completely agree with you. I would just like a little consistency with the genre is all. Paladins are magical tanks. If anything they should get spell reflect, and warriors should get the passive mitigation. That would make all this crazy stuff finally make sense from a genre perspective. As it stands now, those talents/powers were just slapped in to gain the end result (spell mitigation), but went in backwards.

My post really isn't about buff/nerf/imbalance. Its just pure genre common sense, plus play style. Passive talents are IMO a shortcut for Bliz to get the end result sooner without as much work. I know that have a LOT to do right now, so as I said in the post, I am just planting a seed. Maybe when they aren't swamped with work they can get around to fixing this, or finding a more involved solution other than adding talent combos that make no sense from a lore/genre standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by cog
    Yeah passive talents. How boring. I'd rather there be some skill, or choice, when deciding how I want to handle incoming attacks. The 15% does work out in the end just fine... but as it is tank pallies are fine just facerolling all their buttons. I'd like more of a challenge, and choice, when it comes to spell mitigation.

True enough in BC anyway... With concecrate and HS bound to wheel up, and wheel down I literally spend entire fights with my right index finger going up then down, up then down never missing a cd with my left hand im spamming 1 and 2 to cast SoR and judge it. Rinse and repeat.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.