Prot paladins in wrath...worth it?

I dont know if i should continue being prot for wrath. With warriors getting their AE attacks, we kind of lost our niche. In BC, we were looked down upon as inferior to warriors save for hyjal and 1 boss in ssc and tk each...how will we wind up in wrath?

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Prot paladins in wrath...worth it?

Tanking in Beta has been a friggin joy. ShoR and HotR fixed a lot of our issues, namely Single Target threat and the inability to effectively OT when needed. Prot is VERY much worth sticking with in LK.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenwalis
    Tanking in Beta has been a friggin joy. ShoR and HotR fixed a lot of our issues, namely Single Target threat and the inability to effectively OT when needed. Prot is VERY much worth sticking with in LK.
    Pretty much <3 Naxx

How are the mana problems from raid trash and overgeared heroics been dealt with in WotLK beta at 80? Any big changes there, except that BoSanct now scales with protection gear?

Will we still chain pot to be able to run instances we overgear or to keep top tps on raid trash as MT?

yeah prot is very legit imo

Quote Originally Posted by b1t
    How are the mana problems from raid trash and overgeared heroics been dealt with in WotLK beta at 80? Any big changes there, except that BoSanct now scales with protection gear?

Will we still chain pot to be able to run instances we overgear or to keep top tps on raid trash as MT?
    You can't chainpot anymore. BoSanc will fix all overgeared manaproblems.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

so what fights in wrath so far will be more prot paladin friendly then another tank?

I just want to avoid the BS that i went through in tbc

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    We're set to be back on top for TPS gen. Well, not on top, but going from 800tps to 1.5ktps without issue is what i mean, think of how we were in t5, and then how we seemed to get worse in t6. Well, now we're back on form in 3.0 and it's JUST what i've been waiting for. It feel like how a paladin SHOULD be played, not some 2-button spamming melee spec hunter.
    My T4/Badge loot (first set) prot pally pretty much fits that bill perfectly.

On live im at ~800TPS standing at about 300 spell damage. On the PTR im pumping 1.5k or more, its freakin' awesome. HoR is a godsend especially for big AoEs.

Take H Shat-Halls for example...i pulled the entire gauntlet, threw on Blessing of Light and through HoW spam every 6 seconds i was managing to keep myself healed between the healers heals.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Our TPS is pretty high, along with BoSanc for mana regen more mobs = better.

That's not counting the fact that Naxx = undead Exorcism + Holy Wrath > Warriors

Members of every Tank and Healer spec seem to think they won't be wanted anymore.

While other may be able to cope with a spot of AOE tanking, we have gained a lot in single mob threat and damage output. We all still have our niches, they just aren't pronounced as they were in TBC.
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Couple points.

1) we are still the kings of AoE threat gen. Holy wrath is now an *instant* spell. That's 1000-1.5k holy dmg to all mobs in range. Couple that with HoR hitting 3, Consecrate ticking for approx 200 and you think Thunderclap is going to steal aggro? (As a note, one of our warriors got into the beta and he's tried to steal aggro ff me and without taunting it's not possible.)

2) 800-1.5k tps? Try 2.5k-3.5k at lvl72 in Ahn'Ket. or 4K on world quest boss last night @ 75 with ShotR.

Our stam is less @ 70 with the nerf. That is the biggest problem IMO, however we still scale a bit better than warriors, so we may leapfrog them like we did at the end of T6 content. (I'm raid buffed @ approx 21k while our main warrior tank is 20.5k.)

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdone
    1) we are still the kings of AoE threat gen. Holy wrath is now an *instant* spell. That's 1000-1.5k holy dmg to all mobs in range. Couple that with HoR hitting 3, Consecrate ticking for approx 200 and you think Thunderclap is going to steal aggro? (As a note, one of our warriors got into the beta and he's tried to steal aggro ff me and without taunting it's not possible.)
    Since when did Holy Wrath affect anything but Undead/Demons? ???

Quote Originally Posted by kruor
    so what fights in wrath so far will be more prot paladin friendly then another tank?

I just want to avoid the BS that i went through in tbc
    There is no way a Prot warrior could take away AoE tanking from us, thunderclap and swipe don't build enough to steal it from our BoSanc, HoR, Holy Shield that does damage when you get hit by mobs, Consecration, Avenger's Shield(Which is now instant so you can cast it to put out even more threat while tanking), etc. There is just no way they can pull all those mobs off us. So you will have AoE tanking for sure. Also Blizzard stated that they are moving towards making it so that most fights can be tanked by any of the 4 tanking classes so that you don't have to totally rely on certain people being on/going to do a boss. Granted certain bosses will be easier with certain tanks, but all the fights are supposed to be doable with any tank.

Sorry yeah, Holy Wrath is still only Undead/Demon.

Almost all the instances feature undead mobs though. Nexus and Utgarde are exceptions from what I've seem. Still, threat is a non-issue from what I've seen so far. If my character hits 80 before X-pac comes I'll let you all know if I run into aggro gen issues.

Personally I think with the way WOTLK is, Paladins will the main tank for alot of things especially Undead/Demonic bosses, their is no way that any other tank will be able to hold aggro like a Paladin will against them due to Holy Wrath/Exorcism, plus their regular abilities on top of that! AH!!! I love my insane class! <3 Protadins forever.

/agree

(Though I wish they would give us back our stam)

1 question, one answer, hell yes being prot in warth is going to be so much easyer than in bc so yea pally's are going to be awesome tanks