Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Questions about Glyph of Flash of Light

Hello All,

Due to some download issues I’ve been unable to get myself over to the PRT, and I haven’t been tapped for the Beta yet, so I was wondering if some of our more testing-gifted Paladins could answer a question or two about the Glyph of Flash of Light.

Glyph of Flash of Light
    Your Flash of Light heals for 50% less initially but also heals for 200% of its initial effect over 15 sec.

Unglyphed: My Flash of Light heals Tank for 1000 points.
    Glyphed: My Flash of Light heals Tank for 500 points, and Tank gets a HoT that heals for 2000 over 15 seconds.

Question #1: If I heal for 500 with 2000 point HoT, and then immediately heal again for 750, does the 3000 point HoT stack with the 2000 point HoT? (Unlikely, but it can’t hurt to ask.)
    Question #2: If I heal for 500 with 2000 point HoT, and then immediately heal again for 750, does the 3000 point HoT replace the 2000 point HoT? (Seems reasonable to me.)
    Question #3: If I heal for 500 with 2000 point HoT, and then immediately heal again for 250, does the 1000 point HoT replace the 2000 point HoT? (That would suck.)
    Question #4: How often does the HoT tick? If it’s a 1500 point HoT, does it heal for 100 every second? 500 every 5 seconds?
    The answer is always more Paladins.
    Thorium Brotherhood Wiki | Farstriders Community Wiki

Re: Questions about Glyph of Flash of Light

its just like a Regrowth of a druid....
    if you heal less than before u'll overwrite it.
    if you heal more than before u'll overwrite it.
    here should be my signature... FAIL!

Deleted

Question 1: If you heal for more, your HoT will overwrite the old one.

Question 2: Yes as above.

Question 3: No as above.

Question 4: Five ticks every 3 seconds.

Also, you should probably have another look at your numbers and at the exact description of Glyph of FoL.

If you heal for 500, the HoT will be 1000. 750 - 1500. 250 - 500.

The glyph is not worth it in PVE.

Wow, I thought that the glyph was nice if it healed for 200% over 15 seconds of the original amount and not the -50% one...

If it was like that, as in: If you usually heal for 2000, you heal for 1000 + 4000 over 15 seconds, it would ROCK, but could be slightly OP.

But if it really is like that, that it only heals for 200% of the halved amount, then that kinda sucks. It could have it's uses, but it seems kinda weak.

By the way, to the OP: Thanks for making this topic, I was just going to do it myself but now I don't have to. ;D

15+ Year Old Account

I disagree that it's not worth it in PvE.
    Depending on which raid/fight you're doing it may well be worth it for Ret paladins.

As a Ret, it helps top that extra bit up when you use SoB/SoM during long fights where the healers could be pressed. Alternatively you could also assist them by throwing your instants out to raid members and that way assisting with the raid healing during the AOE fights. Would lower DPS but if it's a fight where you know the healers are having a rough time, it might be worth taking it.

I would agree that it's not an "always" for PvE raiding, but it has situational use at the very least. And for PvE grinding/levelling/5 mans I think it's close to a must, at least for my play style. That extra bits just keeps you topped up all the time so you never need to stop.
    My name is Necrox, and I'm an altoholic.

I shall be taking my pally DPS in the expansion since ive finally had enough of staring at 25/40 boxes for three and a bit years each night I feel like id actually like to see some mobs :P That being said i really like the potential synergy as mentioned by another poster meaning that this small tick will help to make the Ret pally using seal of martyr much more self suficient due to the hot counteracting it rather nicely.

From my perspective as a soon to be EX holy pally I think that this is a situational buff at best as ive always been a big fan of the FoL spammage which i know many many pallies hate and go for downranking the big heal but my results speack for themself amost never off the top in healing and low on overhealing. (Doing illidan atm so admitadly not too high a raider but been a few places). So by the looks of things with blizz making glyps so cheap to replace in and out this will be one you'd change depending on the boss.
    If hyperbole were food the internet would never go hungry...

Deleted

You will never find any use for that glyph as PvE Holy unless you are doing very light raid healing on trash or whatever. You need the initial healing of FoL and you need it when you cast the spell.

You cannot change Glyphs without going back to Dalaran.

Retribution will definitely have some use for that glyph but as of now Art of War resets the swing timer, so unless it is really necessary, FoL casting will be kept to a minimum in PVE. Also, ideally you do not want to spend the instant FoL on yourself at all - you deprive yourself of mana gained via Spiritual Attunement.

That glyph is for paladins wanting to focus on raid healing imo
    -You might not like my methods, but you gotta love the results!-

Quote Originally Posted by Chimina
    Yeah I would probably agree with that one. It's definitely not that great a spell for MT healing imo, as it does too little for too long. Its not a HoT like other classes use. But I also think its also too underpowered to make the Holy pally useful as a raid healer, 15 seconds is too long and I feel that you would have more time to heal twice or three times in that time, including healing others. Hmm... I just dunno, perhaps supplemented with Holy Shock is might work.

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by Chimina
    Glyph of Holy Light will do a better job than glyph of FoL.

now, if you can use the glyph FoL and your regular FoL as two different spells, then we can talk.

OR

the HoT part can stack, say up to 5 times.

if not, this glyph is terrible for holy in raid.

The main reason is quite simple actually. We don't have a middle ground healing spell if we turn our FoL into half-ass heal + half ass HoT.

you might argue, hey, we have holy shock, sacred shield and holy light. sometimes with instant holy light.

but when everyone is taking huge amount of dmg in a short period, glyphed FoL is useless. you are better off doing holy light + holy shock combo.

This glyph of FoL is really terrible, i cant see one reason to use it.

If he added 200% of total heal, not remaining 50% than it would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf

You cannot change Glyphs without going back to Dalaran.
    What? you can change them in any city lol.

Any holy pally that does NOT use this is simply retarded. If you've tested the new holy talents you will know that you won't be spamming FoL nearly as much being that Holy Shock is 40 yards now and far better at mana efficiency, not to mention instant holy lights.

The flash does NOT override the HoT if it was lower...that's a fact. If I heal and crit and get a 700 every 3 second heal, the next heal I do is say 450 every 3, it will stay the 700 every 3 and it will still refresh that HoT too. Here is an example:

Flash of Light crit ---> 700 every 3 seconds buff
    Flash of Light ---> refreshes buff of 700 every 3 seconds (will not override with 450 every 3 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by meroko

Any holy pally that does NOT use this is simply retarded. If you've tested the new holy talents you will know that you won't be spamming FoL nearly as much being that Holy Shock is 40 yards now and far better at mana efficiency, not to mention instant holy lights.

The flash does NOT override the HoT if it was lower...that's a fact. If I heal and crit and get a 700 every 3 second heal, the next heal I do is say 450 every 3, it will stay the 700 every 3 and it will still refresh that HoT too. Here is an example:

Flash of Light ---> refreshes buff of 700 every 3 seconds (will not override with 450 every 3 seconds)
    Meroko,

I have been using this Glyph on beta, it is wonderful for solo and 5 man play. I know for a fact I will never use this in a raid. I need my FoL to deliver its full effect when raiding, there will be other healers present that can deal with splash damage.

I would use this in a raid, if I could control when the Glyph worked. To the best of my knowledge, that option does not exist in beta.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by meroko

FoL will always be the bread and butter of the holy tree.

Sure, holy shock saw some impressive and needed buffs, and the instant holy lights are fkn pro....

But both spells are mana inefficient, saved more so for quick burst and healing intensive situations. FoL will still be spammed more often than not, and because of this, makes the glyph worthless. Maybe if they tacked on a weaker version of what Sheath of Light does for ret paladins, it would be worthwhile.

However, as long as it nerfs our initial heal, its a nerf to our healing abilities.

This glyph change the entire nature of the spell. The spell that is you primary heal spell. I wouldn't do it.

Sounds like this glyph would be helpful in turning Paladin from tank healer to something-else healer in raid. It's certainly a big departure from normal playstyle, and would surely find some use, but not by everyone.
    About Art of War-so this resets swing timer..and? Every other classes have been timing their swings forever. Most Paladin never get to do that except some minor seal twisting. I think it wouldn't kill you if you have to wait 3 seconds before you cast the flash of light so it land right after you swing.

So it keeps rolling the biggest HoT as long as you keep spamming the target. This means you can pop some trinket, or be receiving temporary buffs, and keep rolling it even though the buff is gone? Sounds pretty sweet. Seeing as FoL is the most mana efficient spell in the game, this could be a godsend for raiding.

Question:
    How does it interact with Beacon of Light?

This is actually quite useful stacked with the new Beacon of Light...

Because you can get MULTIPLE FoL HoTs stacked on the tank without overwriting, because they're all on different people.

Plenty of people to use it on, even in non AoE fights, tag your SoB-using Ret Paladin, a Warlock, or hit your tank with Hand of Sacrifice and heal yourself, then him, bam, double HoT ticks.

If you only focus on each tool, they're obviously useless, but if you think about all the different things you have to use, many of them are much more useful ALL the time, and ridiculously powerful SOME of the time. Like Group Healing with FoL Glyph in an AoE fight, your tank would be invincible while you spot heal.

15+ Year Old Account

Since Ret has Sheath, and Holy will need 100% of the FoL the only paladin who would use this is Prot. for self healing. You get to cast your most mana efficient healing spell and get 200% yield out of it. This is great for a low mana pool paladin who dont have time to eat/bandage between fights.

The only way a Holy paladin would use this is if the raid couldnt find an aoe healer and had 2 holy paladin. Then and only then would the paladin use either glyph since they would be spot healing the raid. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

So if I had beacon on the MT and was flash of light hotting everyone while raid healing, would all those ticks heal the mt? That wouldnt be half bad, unless beacon still doesnt heal for overheals. I should probably test this in beta but I'm too lazy to spam trade for a glyph.
    "Whenever i crit 10 times in a row on resto druid and can't kill it i exit wow, go outside... walk a bit and find a kitty and beat the fucking shit out of it and throw it in a bush."

-Venator

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    Like Group Healing with FoL Glyph in an AoE fight, your tank would be invincible while you spot heal.
    Due to the nature of Bacon. While you are healing one of the people in the radius for some AE damage they took your tank is still eating boss hits. The amount you healed on one of the other members of your party is the amount your tank gets. No overhealing. No full amount of the heal. Only what was healed.

If it stays the same bacon will let you get double FoL's on your tank and let you not dig into your mana pool with HL. But it wont let you Spam FoL on party members and expect to keep your tank up.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.