Thread: chains of ice

chains of ice

Thoughts on chains of ice ...

From a 1v1 stand point I think that chains of ice is balance since the death knight is losing a considerable amount of damage in using it.

From a group pvp standpoint though, I think that chains of ice is incredibly OP, because although the death knight loses damage he can easily incapacitate people and snare people for extreme amounts of time while other players burn them down.

That being said though, I think making COI dispellable is a terrible way of dealing with the problem. It affectively only helps two classes in the game (priest and paladin) while still not helping the 7 other classes. This is thinking about it in a 1v1 view. When in group combat though, priests and paladins can help others and therefore it should be theorhetically more balanced in group pvp. But it is not.

MY biggest objection to making it dispellable though is that the two classes that get the dispel, are also 2 out of 3 classes that get cleanse/abolish disease. So, the two classes that already have counter spells that effectively minimize a DK's damage, as well as completely eliminate a DK's already lack luster burst damage; also get to remove one of a DK's only snare.

In other words, from a group pvp stand point, priest and paladins on a given team can already effectively nueter a DK's damage why should they also be the only classes that can take off the COI.

Re: chains of ice

errr....i am not entirely sure if you didnt mean that in the technical way or not please disregard if you didnt, but just to be clear, you realize DKs don't have an incapacitate unless they are 51 points frost right?
    all hail king frost strike

Quote Originally Posted by psicorp
    errr....i am not entirely sure if you didnt mean that in the technical way or not please disregard if you didnt, but just to be clear, you realize DKs don't have an incapacitate unless they are 51 points frost right?
    When I said incapacitate I wasn't speaking technically I was using it as an adjective to describe what was happening overall to the opponent ... and yes I know hungering cold is the only way a DK can technically do this.

i would like to see COI harder to dispell to help our kitting issues. or its gonna force every DK that wants to pvp go deep unholy. and i personaly would like to try deep blood for pvp and pve. i have a s4 lock i can use if i want to dot shit up and watch them melt. i was hopeing for a more ret paladin type play style with my DK. and im a huge fan of seeing all kinds of builds in pvp. not just cookie cutters. so if a DK goes anything other than deep unholy he/she will being having kiting issues with the way COI is right now. i would even settle for something like if COI is dispelled then the dispeller gains some sort of debuff like maybe lowering casting speed for a short duration or gets frozen in place instead. i already know im gonna be pissed off when i pvp and see a priest and pally just totally taking away my ability to catch my targets. but thats my 2 cents, whats yours?

your not going to see any retadin type damage here. rets are very bursty, very quick combos. we dont have anything like that. even a triple obliterate or scourge strike combo isnt going to top a ret set up. we are to tanky, we are built to out last the opponent
    all hail king frost strike

Quote Originally Posted by psicorp
    your not going to see any retadin type damage here. rets are very bursty, very quick combos. we dont have anything like that. even a triple obliterate or scourge strike combo isnt going to top a ret set up. we are to tanky, we are built to out last the opponent
    This is completely true. Unfortunately in my experience, melee especially needs burst because of the way snaring is balanced. Doing affliction lock dps while having to constantly be in melee is going to be hard for a DK.

Based on what I've done in Beta as a deep Frost Knight, my first priority is to Death Grip, Chains of Ice, and then Plague Strike. With those latter two moves you've applied two Disease effects, ((Blood Plague and Frost Fever)) and one Magic effect, Chains of Ice. While said Paladin/Priest is busy cleansing himself/herself of said effects, you're already expending runes and building rune power. It doesn't take much to reapply diseases and you can do so in rapid succession. If your target is going to spend all that time cleansing those effects off, he's as good as dead. Deep Frost has the most effective snares while deep Unholy has an undispellable melee snare that only Hand of Freedom, which is currently on a 25 second cooldown, is going to cure.

Each rune has an approximate 10 second cooldown upon use.

David could you post your frost pvp build?

I'm sorry, but, LAWL DK is the new Pally!
    That aside, I think DK can pump up resistance extremely high that they wouldn't have to worry nearly as much about magical snare. Well, at least Frost can..I'm not sure about other builds though. Physical snares usually come with melee classes, so they're well within your range.
    It will be difficult to keep people in range indeed, but also remember that you have friends that you can fallback on as well.