1. #1

    Melee Based Pally Tank

    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...15251033000000

    Not sure if this would work but it seems interesting enough, would love to hear other's feedback

  2. #2

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    If your intent is to hold aggro through the threat generated by what you think would be increased dps by speccing that far into ret... I don't see that as being too effective.

    SoC is not worth it for tanking. It's ppm. Soooo, with a one hand, you'll see a drastic decrease in procs. Furthermore, when you're relying on said procs of additional holy damage for threat you're taking a gamble and it'll hurt your TPS when it doesn't proc.

    Without Avenger's Shield, pulling mobs would be a bit problematic. Especially since it offers such a fantastic method of gaining threat on multiple targets immediately.

    IMO, you should go deep prot and save the Hybrid specs for OTs.


  3. #3

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Additionally, LULZ Reckoning.


  4. #4
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,326

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    I don't think he's intending to actually tank with that spec. so reckoning is ok.

    But either way it will suck, it can't tank well and it's missing the spell power skills so the DPS will be much worse than a full prot build.


  5. #5

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    protection leveling spec?

    cause for tanking this is horrible
    My Rogue
    altoholic since 2000 (Diablo II release)


  6. #6
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, Aus
    Posts
    59

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    there is nothing wrong with reckoning it is quite a good talent, and if you pull this parry gib BS on me here is my reply to that...HS has extra charges hence no parry gib warrior SB has 2 charges and that is why they get parry gibed..

    it isnt a great talent for aoe tanking i agree with that but for tanking a single mob or even if you have an aoe pack with a mob you have to hold agro on sololy it is very good

  7. #7

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Reckoning is a talent used for leveling/farming as prot.

    Possibly, now that white damage makes up a slightly more significant amount of Prot pally threat it could maybe be worth the 5 points.

    However, as far as pre-WotLK goes, I have yet to see a serious paladin MT build using Reckoning. That talent has been stirring up trouble since some guy went and Youtubed himself Reck-Bombing Kazzak.


  8. #8
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, Aus
    Posts
    59

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    FYI: Reckoning procs SoR

    and my pally is OT for SSC/TK this is the spec i use http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhxIx0zGgqtVbx

  9. #9

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle
    there is nothing wrong with reckoning it is quite a good talent, and if you pull this parry gib BS on me here is my reply to that...HS has extra charges hence no parry gib warrior SB has 2 charges and that is why they get parry gibed..

    it isnt a great talent for aoe tanking i agree with that but for tanking a single mob or even if you have an aoe pack with a mob you have to hold agro on sololy it is very good
    The spec itself is terrible for any kind of tanking. He doesnt have the stam/spell power talent so his threat is drastically reduced. And reckoning isnt really a talent worth all 5 points. I would put maybe one point in it just for the chance for the proc and only if I had the extra point to spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

    TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

  10. #10

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle
    there is nothing wrong with reckoning it is quite a good talent, and if you pull this parry gib BS on me here is my reply to that...HS has extra charges hence no parry gib warrior SB has 2 charges and that is why they get parry gibed..

    it isnt a great talent for aoe tanking i agree with that but for tanking a single mob or even if you have an aoe pack with a mob you have to hold agro on sololy it is very good
    Parry insta-gib is a borderline a myth with druid tanks theres no way possible I can see that a paladin tank can be parry insta gibbed. Its not to say that you cant be parried, but not twice in a row, and never in succession. You cant be crushed now so the main worry isnt even there to begin with. Its cute that you bring it up, but not from a paladin.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want.* If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.* If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it.* I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't;* I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

  11. #11

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle
    FYI: Reckoning procs SoR
    Yes, but in the current build SoV/SoCor has shown to be better TPS than SoR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

  12. #12
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, Aus
    Posts
    59

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    i havent yet tested prot pally on the current build, and im not saying that this spec is good im just saying nothing is wrong with reckoning it is a good talent, and the melee based tank spec has fail all over it sorry, but SoC is for 2h dps otherwise use sumthing else and just the whole spec in general u will loose out on the beneficial spells pallies need to tank

    for lvl 80 spec i would go for sumthing like this in a raid situation http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...14251433312301

    kings isnt really needed seeing as tho ur in a raid one of the other pallies will have it and you will probly be on sumthing else but if you want kings then just swap the str talent, the str talent would be good for SotR as it would increase ur block which would increase the dmg it does, that build have 1 pt left could either go for reckoning or ardent defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey
    Yes, but in the current build SoV/SoCor has shown to be better TPS than SoR.
    reckoing procs extra hits not just a melee attacks so SoV/SoCor will benefit from this too

  13. #13

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Think all of you missed my point, I obviously wasnt trying to make a perfect paladin tanking spec or I would have gone deep prot...

    Just the fact was you will be able to do a lot of damage with the additional talents (+17% crit from talents alone) and Reckoning would work well considering it will make all of my attacks hit twice and I had planned to use a melee/tank weapon not a spell damage one.

    I was thinking this would be a good OT spec for a 10 man or a high damage 5 man tank, but I could be wrong...

  14. #14
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,326

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Yes you are wrong because you will have 0 spell power so it doesn't work at all.

    Besides prot already do pretty good damage, something like http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...15251033312301 would be much better for pure DPS.

  15. #15

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor
    Yes you are wrong because you will have 0 spell power so it doesn't work at all.

    Besides prot already do pretty good damage, something like http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...15251033312301 would be much better for pure DPS.
    Hammer of the Righteous seems like it would own, so I will agree on your spec there.

    Already remember why I dont like posting, everyone is a PRO at this game regardless of the fact they havent seen past Kara, but ok

  16. #16
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,326

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Well I certainly didn't mean to be rude, hope you don't think that

    The thing is that instant avengers shield and HotR does AMAZING damage, on the PTR where I'm still gemmed for a little spellpower and use a pretty lousy weapon (got http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34672 because I didn't have any DPS weapons) I have crazy DPS for a tanking class (although I assume Warriors will be pretty good come 3.x as well).

  17. #17
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, Aus
    Posts
    59

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    sorry i didnt mean to be like that, i think full prot will be better dps as we get a shield bash (SotR) and we have HotR also so i think full prot would be the best dps for prot not much really u can change i think as an OT you still need to do a very good amount of TPS

  18. #18

    Re: Melee Based Pally Tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Xephan
    Reckoning is a talent used for leveling/farming as prot.

    Possibly, now that white damage makes up a slightly more significant amount of Prot pally threat it could maybe be worth the 5 points.

    However, as far as pre-WotLK goes, I have yet to see a serious paladin MT build using Reckoning. That talent has been stirring up trouble since some guy went and Youtubed himself Reck-Bombing Kazzak.
    That is also because in pre-WotLK it only procs on full hits vs the target, which means no 100%+ avoidance (miss, dodge, block, parry), which means crushable. It also isn't very useful since boss swings tend to be slow and strong, not fast and weak making the low % of the proc start to stand out a lot. In Wrath it gets changed to full hits and blocks, so it will increase the amount of times it procs, but it still has a low % to proc in the first place making it better on fast swinging bosses. Though if it did get its % increased it could start making SoR better than in TPS than SoCorrupt, and SoVeng.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •