1. #1

    Glyph of consecration

    so i have good news for all you tanks out there, glyph of consecration extends the duration and the CD or consecration by 2 seconds to 10 seconds, does not increese or decreese the mana cost, and in fact extents the dmg y 2 seconds.

    basicly this :
    without glyph of consecration - consecrate ticks for 130 dmg per second on a mob over 8 seconds, totaling 1040 dmg.

    with glyph of consecration - cnosecrate tick for 130 dmg per second on a mob over 10 seconds, totaling 1300 dmg

    while in essence it doesn't increese the dmg done since the tick is the same, it does however meen that we can manage GCD a bit better and it saves us alot of mana. After 4 consecrates with the glyph you just saved yourself about 1k mana once you hit lv 80.

    if you think that it's not worth it of course put your idea's here, and i havn;t had a chance to put up a skill rotaion graph with a 10 second cd but if anyone wants to set some skill priority and then manage GCD with a graph or something then plase feel free to do so and say you know if 10 seconds actually skrews up a rotation.

  2. #2

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Considering Holy Shield is on a 10 second cooldown as well, yes, I'd imagine it's much better, as the cooldowns will no longer clash with each-other.

  3. #3

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    why would I get this...

    Holy shield = 8sec CD
    Improved Judgment = 8sec CD
    Consecrate = 8sec CD

    why would i increase it to 10 then it WOULD screw up my rotation. not a glyph for me. i see it more for holy that doesnt want to spam consecrate.


    and to above poster HolyShield is now 8sec CD. read patch notes.

  4. #4

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    and to above poster HolyShield is now 8sec CD.
    The tooltip on HS says the CD is indeed 8 seconds, but the effect lasts for 10. I don't really know if that's an error, but you might count that into your rotation, especially on boss fights.

  5. #5

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Blizzard finally decided to reduce the cooldown on holy shield so that we can overlap it to prevent crush. . . . .

    Never mind.

  6. #6

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Blizzard finally decided to reduce the cooldown on holy shield so that we can overlap it to prevent crush. . . . .

    Never mind.
    ;D Thanks for making me laugh with that post.

  7. #7

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    and to above poster HolyShield is now 8sec CD. read patch notes.
    My bad, but as stated above, it still has a 10 second duration. As such, you increase your mana efficiency by using Holy Shield, Consecration, and Judgement every 10 seconds rather than every 8, while achieving the same effect, and giving you a bit more breathing room for other abilities.

  8. #8

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Moruk
    My bad, but as stated above, it still has a 10 second duration. As such, you increase your mana efficiency by using Holy Shield, Consecration, and Judgement every 10 seconds rather than every 8, while achieving the same effect, and giving you a bit more breathing room for other abilities.
    Actually, that's a valid point. I'm not good with 'the maths', but maybe that could be an argument why, with the Glyph, you wouldn't need to spec into Imp. Judgment.

    Myself, I still will, because 1 or 2 seconds is quite a bit of breathing room to adjust your rotation as needed.

    Also, I don't know how this will figure in to a 'good' rotation, but both HotR and SotR have 6 second cooldowns. At first glance, it seems to me that it may be better to take the '10 second rotation' as opposed to the 8.

  9. #9

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Not a very good Glyph imo. It would save a bit of mana but meh?

    With the new design of the Paladin tank you shouldn't be relying on Consecrate too much anyways. You shouldn't need it at all on Single Targets, and probably won't be required at all unless your tanking more than 3 targets.

  10. #10

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Uthér
    ;D Thanks for making me laugh with that post.
    I aim to please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moruk
    My bad, but as stated above, it still has a 10 second duration. As such, you increase your mana efficiency by using Holy Shield, Consecration, and Judgement every 10 seconds rather than every 8, while achieving the same effect, and giving you a bit more breathing room for other abilities.
    While this is true, in an infinite mana situation it is more useful to use them as often as possible for two reasons.

    One: You do more damage, and generate more threat.

    Two: You spend more mana, generate more mana through spiritual attunement, and generate more threat.

  11. #11
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    696

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    why would I get this...

    Holy shield = 8sec CD
    Improved Judgment = 8sec CD
    Consecrate = 8sec CD

    why would i increase it to 10 then it WOULD screw up my rotation. not a glyph for me. i see it more for holy that doesnt want to spam consecrate.


    and to above poster HolyShield is now 8sec CD. read patch notes.

    if you call yourself a paladi but dont follow notes you need to quit the game or not post on here.

    This does wonders for 3 target plus tanking. A longer concetrate does save mana long term, and frees up time so as to get other abilites off.

    Holy shield was dropped to 8 seconds so 1, if you do run out of charges you can get it up sooner, bc holy shield is still best for threat gen for 2 reasons, 1) well always has beem, it only does about 5percent less threat, 2) it is a high block forcing u to gain mana from BoSanctuary.

    It would have also helped with crushing blows and stiill does if you tank somthing 4 lvls higher, while lvling.

    This helps for grinding, run throughts, and for iniitial threat gen on a target to last a tick longer. There is some debate if consecration will be worked into a rotation for single target boss tanking. This makes it more viable.


  12. #12

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    While this is true, in an infinite mana situation it is more useful to use them as often as possible for two reasons.

    One: You do more damage, and generate more threat.

    Two: You spend more mana, generate more mana through spiritual attunement, and generate more threat.
    Oh, I agree, personally I'd prefer the 8 second rotation as well, but it is useful for anyone that wants to be a bit more conservative with their rotation is all I meant.

  13. #13

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Two: You spend more mana, generate more mana through spiritual attunement, and generate more threat.
    I don't think I understand this part. Mind explaining it for me? As I see it, Holy Shield should be your top priority i.e. If it's not up, get it up (mana and healer situation pending, I suppose), so you'll generally be taking a steady stream of damage with the same mana always being returned from SA.

  14. #14

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Moruk
    Oh, I agree, personally I'd prefer the 8 second rotation as well, but it is useful for anyone that wants to be a bit more conservative with their rotation is all I meant.
    True, sorry, I misunderstood you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clasifyd
    I don't think I understand this part. Mind explaining it for me? As I see it, Holy Shield should be your top priority i.e. If it's not up, get it up (mana and healer situation pending, I suppose), so you'll generally be taking a steady stream of damage with the same mana always being returned from SA.
    Mana gained through spiritual attunement causes threat, however if you are already at full mana when receiving a heal you don't generate any more mana, and therefore don't generate any threat. In an infinite mana situation you want to spend as much mana as possible to increase your threat generation through spiritual attunement. RF is a great way to dump mana quickly if you know that you will have it back again soon.

  15. #15

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Mana gained through spiritual attunement causes threat, however if you are already at full mana when receiving a heal you don't generate any more mana, and therefore don't generate any threat. In an infinite mana situation you want to spend as much mana as possible to increase your threat generation through spiritual attunement. RF is a great way to dump mana quickly if you know that you will have it back again soon.
    Ah, I understand what you mean now. Thanks for clearing that up.

  16. #16

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    If it helps think of it as a mechanic similar to overhealing.

    Heals cause threat, overheals don't.

    Mana gains cause threat, but not if you are at full mana.

  17. #17

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo

    if you call yourself a paladi but dont follow notes you need to quit the game or not post on here.
    Woah now, not everyone is as obsessive as we are. Calm down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Blizzard finally decided to reduce the cooldown on holy shield so that we can overlap it to prevent crush. . . . .

    Never mind.
    Irony, it's a bitch.

    I'm all for 8 second perfect rotations. Seeing mana regen could be awesome we could get avenger's shields and Hammers of Wrath in.

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    362

    Re: Glyph of consecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexan
    so i have good news for all you tanks out there, glyph of consecration extends the duration and the CD or consecration by 2 seconds to 10 seconds, does not increese or decreese the mana cost, and in fact extents the dmg y 2 seconds.

    basicly this :
    without glyph of consecration - consecrate ticks for 130 dmg per second on a mob over 8 seconds, totaling 1040 dmg.

    with glyph of consecration - cnosecrate tick for 130 dmg per second on a mob over 10 seconds, totaling 1300 dmg

    while in essence it doesn't increese the dmg done since the tick is the same, it does however meen that we can manage GCD a bit better and it saves us alot of mana. After 4 consecrates with the glyph you just saved yourself about 1k mana once you hit lv 80.

    if you think that it's not worth it of course put your idea's here, and i havn;t had a chance to put up a skill rotaion graph with a 10 second cd but if anyone wants to set some skill priority and then manage GCD with a graph or something then plase feel free to do so and say you know if 10 seconds actually skrews up a rotation.
    As a tank, its not going to be very effective to spam Consencration anymore. It's just too mana costly. If I recall, 22% of your Base Mana, and since Protection Paladins and Retribution Paladins have very little Intellect (the only Intellect coming from Leveling Up and Base Intellect) you'll effectively get five casts of Consecration before you go Oom.

    As a Prot Paladin, you gain 2% of your Base Mana every time you Block, Parry, or Dodge. This means that you would have to Block, Parry, or Dodge 11 times in a row during 10 seconds to effectively regenerate enough Mana to cast only Consecration again. That's not including your standard rotation of Judgment, Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Shield, and Shield of Righteousness. You can't even count on Spiritual Attunement either, because Dodging and Parrying avoid damage entirely, so (in theory) you'd have to block 11 attacks in 10 seconds to hope to be able to keep a rotation up that Spams Consecration. While the glyph might save you a little bit of mana, its not probable that you as a tank will be able to support it.

    As a Ret Paladin, your Judgment of the Wise is going to refund you 33% of your Base Mana every 8 seconds. Cool. Judgment costs 5% of your base mana, so after Consecration (22%) and Judgment to regen (5%), you're looking at 27% of that mana spent. So, what can you DPS with?

    Auto Attack / Seal (Assuming the Fight doesn't last more then 2 minutes . Then you might get into some issues)
    Divine Storm (12%)
    Crusader Strike (8%)

    Okay, so you can only attack with one of your two strikes while keeping Consecration down, and even then you'll still be going over your infinite mana budget. That's cool. I didn't count for Seal of Blood/Martyr. I know. Add the gylph that increases the Mana you get from Spiritual Attunement by a little bit while Blood is up and the one that increases the overall effectiveness of Spiritual Attunement and maybe MAYBE a Ret Paladin could theoretically keep Consecration down while going through his DPS rotation. If he gets too low, then all he has to do is stop using Consecration. The boss won't go and gib anyone if the Ret Paladin doesn't deal a specific amount of damage after all :P.

    In conclusion, we might see Ret Paladins using more of Consecration then Prot Paladins =O. But no, I will not be choosing this as one of my tanking glyphs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •