Blood Presence??? I dont understand when to use this over Unholy

I dont understand the point of useing Blood Presence over Unholy Presence.

It increases damage by 15% and heals you for 2% of the damage, but the problem is that fact that the attacks do too little damage to justify that added damage over the faster attacks and shorter GCD of Unholy Presence.

The healing from this effect is also very weak. At low lvls like 55 it could be a bit useful, but once the HP to Damage ratio starts to shift more towards HP, then the healing becomes very lame. :-X :-\

-------------

I could understand something like this on a more bursty type melee class like Paladins and Warriors, but I cant see this more useful or a attack spammer like Death Knights and rogues.

Unholy Presence is just plain old better in every way.
    And yes I am Blood Spec, but I find that I dish out better damage from Unholy Presence because I can get off Diseases faster, and begin spamming my more Damage oriented attacks.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Re: Blood Presence??? I dont understand when to use this over Unholy

Think about it though, after you burst through all your runes with your shorter GCD, what do you have left? Time, to wait for your runes to come back up.

Overall in a PvE raid dps setting, blood presence would most likely edge out over unholy as a nice solid dps presence instead of being all burst, then all wait. Especially if you have any haste on your gear already, then you'll feel less and less of the haste with Unholy after a while.

But by all means, unholy is great for pvp.
    Solerius of Garona
    Andarix @tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor
    I dont understand the point of useing Blood Presence over Unholy Presence.

It increases damage by 15% and heals you for 2% of the damage, but the problem is that fact that the attacks do too little damage to justify that added damage over the faster attacks and shorter GCD of Unholy Presence.

The healing from this effect is also very weak. At low lvls like 55 it could be a bit useful, but once the HP to Damage ratio starts to shift more towards HP, then the healing becomes very lame. :-X :-\

-------------

I could understand something like this on a more bursty type melee class like Paladins and Warriors, but I cant see this more useful or a attack spammer like Death Knights and rogues.

Unholy Presence is just plain old better in every way.
    And yes I am Blood Spec, but I find that I dish out better damage from Unholy Presence because I can get off Diseases faster, and begin spamming my more Damage oriented attacks.
    Wrong. 15% damage increase is....well huge. "Hits aren't large enough to make a difference"? That 15% is to almost everything. So 15% more is 15% more. The lower global cooldown and the haste does...what? There is already plenty of haste gear on plate, which makes NO sense for Death Knights because not only does it not lower the cooldown of your runes, but also your total white damage increase (which is all haste increases for DK's dps) helps very little, because white damage for a 2h weapon-toting Death Knight is maybe 30%, while most DW classes have their white damage as 50%-70% of their total damage. 15% beats that maybe 3%(?) damage increase the miniscule amount of haste provided by Unholy Prescence gets you.

To sum up when Blood > Unholy prescence, all the time unless you're mounted and want to move just a little bit faster.

Regardless of what it feels like, 15% increase to dps from 25% of your dps <<<<<<< 15% increase to 100% of your dps.

Like really, how hard is this to understand. Blood increases EVERYTHING by 15% you cant get better than 15% of everything with 15% of something, unless its everything, and thats not better.

To simplify - your 'feelings' are wrong. Blood blows away unholy for dps, and heals you on the side to boot. Unholy is nice in PVP when you wanna blow GCDs and not kill something anyway, then hope the small amount of haste will allow you to keep up with being kited.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=18237.15

Has some Simple Math to show you why Blood is better than Unholy for DPS. (A cookie for whoever get the in-joke from this sentence. )

blood pres = sustained DPS (all PvE)
    unholy pres = burst (ie PvP).

been said lots of times..
    unholy pres does nothing for your yellow damage (which is more than 50% of your dps)

all unholy does is let you burst faster, and run faster..
    the reduced GCD on runes doesn't make your cycles any faster.. only your burst as the GCD reduction doesnt make the runes refresh faster.. you just end up with more dead time when your out of runes.

i would switch back to blood or frost if i m tanking actually....
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

I can see the benefit of using Unholy Presence against a single target mob, or a single player. You rattle off your strikes faster, blow through your runes faster, get in auto attacks faster, that 1 mob/player dies faster.

But if you're fighting multiple mobs, your gonna be laying your diseases onto one, spreading them via pestilence and blood boiling then while you try to stay alive. Bonuses to healing, and your increased disease damage is gonna far outweigh how fast your auto attacks are gonna take something out. 15% more damage on your death strike means more health returned to you as well. 15% more damage from each disease, spell, strike, etc.

They both have their practical applications, just that Blood is clearly better for AoE killing, especially where you're doing the tanking yourself.

I love threads like these. I'm interested in DK's in Wotlk and find this information very useful. Better then reading through books of QQ / Nerf this or that posts imo. Keep em comming!

Also, wasn't it said already that Blood Presence is excellent for grinding because of the reduced downtime (normally spent eating etc.)?
    DEAL WITH IT.

Now if only presences didn't cost runes we could "presence dance"

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by madsweeney
    Now if only presences didn't cost runes we could "presence dance"
    Why would you need to do that? The only time I can think of is in pvp. You can't tell me you can't spare one rune every once in a blue moon in pve to switch for some reason or another? Usually, you tank in frost and dps in blood. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia
    Why would you need to do that? The only time I can think of is in pvp. You can't tell me you can't spare one rune every once in a blue moon in pve to switch for some reason or another? Usually, you tank in frost and dps in blood. Period.
    Sorry, forgot that frost gave threat boost. Was thinking of using blood/unholy to gain extra initial threat through dmg boost then swapping to frost for sustained tanking.

When to use Blood Presence?

In PVE!

The 15% bonus applies to everything, including DoT ticks and the healing doesn't hurt either.
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)