WTB: Tips on specing Prot

I have been playing with so many specs on the ptr, but im just not happy with them. so im utterly confused as to how to spec when 3.0 goes live in a few weeks. Im at work and for the life of me i can not remeber my spec that i just put together last night. all i know is that its bad...i did some reading that kings is no longer a worry. i gave that myself for i was the only pally that was on the ptr last night from my guild so i got it to play with. but ya holy pallies will have kings now. i just cant get the spec right to get everything that is useful at the bottom of the tree, and i would love to get my imp judgment back but not sure if its nessary at lvl 70. so any cookie cutter specs for 70 woulf be wonterful!

Ty so much,
    Tyger

Re: WTB: Tips on specing Prot

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sZaxVA0kMteIRGox

This is what I go with on my pally. The parry is something you want in ret, but you can wait and pick up imp judgement and benediction as your leveling. I used the point in Imp. Devo to get down the tree, but you can throw it in something else if you want.

Welcome to MMO-Champion, Tygerlily, glad to have you with us. Here is my response to your post.

My suggestion for level 70 is the following:
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVA0uGteIRhoxb

My suggestion for level 80 is the following:
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZ0xVA0uGteIRhoEb

If you have any questions why certain points are where, then ask, but these are what I would recommend and stay away from Kings since you yourself will not be using it in WOTLK, thats for the Holy Paladins to get.

Why are you going into Imp. Devo? Isn't Ret aura the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimelos
    If I remember correctly reading not to long ago that Dev aura was going to be the new thing in WOTLK, but I may be wrong about that. If its not though I will probably keep it and just have a Ret Paladin slave follow me around all the time with Improved Ret Aura, so I can both! ;D Actually one of my officers in my guild is a Ret Paladin and he is going to be doing 10 mans with me all the time so like I said, it will work out. ;D

Oh nice. I didn't think about that. I forgot that Ret Paladins lost Sanc. aura and are going to get Imp. Ret aura.

thank you guys so much for the tips!!!

as far as i was told, ret aura is still the way to go for threat, and devo will be for MTing. for i know i will not be! our MT hates prot pallies hehe. but i would like to get imp devo for it will be usefull on Keal and other SW bosses!

May i ask why noone's grabbing judgements of the just? That's more or less the same effect as thunder clap, which turns into major mitigation vs hard hitting bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerlily

as far as i was told, ret aura is still the way to go for threat, and devo will be for MTing. for i know i will not be! our MT hates prot pallies hehe. but i would like to get imp devo for it will be usefull on Keal and other SW bosses!
    NP Tyger, I know for sure come WOTLK I will be MTing the 10 mans for my guild and I will always have a Ret Paladin at my side since their DPS is insane plus the Ret Aura on top of that is priceless, but thats just me.

Kekek, I am wondering why your level 80 specs have Kings? This is not a blessing I would imagine any Prot Paladin using with the recent changes made to Blessing of Sanctuary. It seems as a wasted 5 points.

Idiots43, I will have to wait until WOTLK to try out JotJ, at the moment I just have decided to leave it out. We will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kare
    NP Tyger, I know for sure come WOTLK I will be MTing the 10 mans for my guild and I will always have a Ret Paladin at my side since their DPS is insane plus the Ret Aura on top of that is priceless, but thats just me.

Kekek, I am wondering why your level 80 specs have Kings? This is not a blessing I would imagine any Prot Paladin using with the recent changes made to Blessing of Sanctuary. It seems as a wasted 5 points.

Idiots43, I will have to wait until WOTLK to try out JotJ, at the moment I just have decided to leave it out. We will have to wait and see.
    Thats why i wrote 2 diff specs. The one with kings doesn't mean that i will bless it on myself . But it's something for the raid. And easyer to go around with if you got Pally power.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerlily

It's okay, your MT is just intimidated by us and if played properly we can outshine the warrior tank now. Heck on live right now I can out aggro our warrior tank. The BB fight is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimelos
    at lvl 80 IMp Devo will give 1807.5 armor, and increase healing by 6% on all party/raid members. that is boss. ill have a ret pally with me to give ret aura :P

My plan as of right now is: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZ0xVA0ugteIRhoE, with the remaining two points going to Imp Judgements, Divine Guardian, or JotJ - whichever proves most useful. I still think Reckoning is not going to be any better than it is now in the long run, AND you have to take all 5 points to make it do anything different. Also, I don't think people are realizing that Imp Devo Aura increases all healing done to affected targets by 2/4/6%, making the aura pretty useful now (and there's more often than not another pally to throw up a different aura). Since HoJ now acts as an spell interrupt, I took 3/3 there to spam it as often as possible on certain mobs (and to put points into something useful to get down the rest of the tree). One thing I might change come Wrath is the 5/5 in Benediction. If the mana returns from the new BoSanc are good enough, Benediction may turn out to be less than helpful for a prot pally. But, we'll have to wait and see how all these work live. This is the tree that looks best to me right now, but what I'm liking about all of them is that they've reduced the "cookie-cutter" tankadin model (as of right now).

Quote Originally Posted by idiots43
    May i ask why noone's grabbing judgements of the just? That's more or less the same effect as thunder clap, which turns into major mitigation vs hard hitting bosses.
    Gonna depend on 2 things:
    1) You are the MT
    2) An arms warrior isn't keeping TC anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Gonna depend on 2 things:
    1) You are the MT
    2) An arms warrior isn't keeping TC anyway
    I love how everyone assumes its the arms/fury warrior that will be keeping up TC. Thunder Clap can not be used in Berserker stance, you know that one that allows them to do more damage. Having a warrior stance dance every 20 sec for TC, which if it isn't improved through talents is only 10%, is awful for rage management and in turn dps for them.

There is another class with an equivalent debuff that is readily available in most raids. Feral Druids have a talented ability called Infected Wounds, basically its a stacking debuff on hit that slows movement and attack speed that can be applied in Bear or Cat form. Doesn't cost Rage or Energy, requires no stance dancing, doesn't hurt dps, and is low enough in the tree that 90% of druids spec'd primarily DPS or Tank will have it. Problem solved.

I'm not saying that paladins don't need JotJ, its a personal choice, I won't have it, don't need it and talent points could be better spent else where.

Your spec at 80, whether for MT or OT, 10 man or 25 man raids all comes down to synergy. If you're planning on staying with your current guild, look at what you already have to work with and go from there. Part of raiding is knowing what the rest of the group is bringing to the table and do your best to take advantage of it and/or improve upon it.

As far as the "you don't need Kings" idea.

There are situations where giving everyone Sanctuary is a great idea, and some where its unnecessary. If the dps/healers don't need BoSanc, what else would you offer them? BoW? Naw the holy pally has that improved. BoM? Naw the Ret pally has that improved. Why not have the option to give them Kings?

This is my 80 build, minus 4 points.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...10251533312301

With 4 points left over you could, pick up JotJ, Benediction, Heart of the Crusader, or Reckoning, or a combination of them. Be flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Thanks a ton!
    I picked out a nice spec that i think will work. I didnt get kings, or JoJust. I did try with JoJ, but i didnt see it take effect at all. I am not the MT of my guild, but i am the main Prot Pally. We currently dont have a ret pally that raids, hell due to the month left will LK comes out, we are lucky to get 2 pallies in the raid. I currently still use ret aura, even thou i have the imp devo, its nice to have for the chance that i do MT in a 10 man, or when i have to "LAWL" heal in a boss fight, i can give that aura to the raid. When i was playing in some heroics last night with my guild, i did find myself switching between both ret and devo.

JotJ doesn't show up as a debuff on the mob beyond your normal JoW/JoL.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/13/1087...-the-just.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.