New to druid for WOTLK.

Hey everyone, I am switching to druid in WOTLK from hunter. The changes to hunter just aren't enough to make me want to keep playing the class, also my 10man raid group is losing our druids to other classes. So I am going to fill in the druid slot because I feel that their utility is too much to pass up on. That being said, we have enough healers so my DPS choices will be Boomkin or Feral. Which do you guys think will be the better of the two specs for dps? I am a total noob when it comes to druid so any advice / input would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Re: New to druid for WOTLK.

The hunter lol

I am playing the druid for its utility, not specifically for the DPS. Battle Rez, Innervate, etc. I may end up being the OT anyways but I was just curious about which is the better of the two.

at least he jumps from ezmode to one of the hardest class to play......
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

The idea of spamming steady shot for the rest of my wow days does not appeal to me at all.. And Exotic pets? Whoopdie doo.

Choosing Moonkin or Cat to dps is really a personal play style choice. Moonkin might have a slight advantage if you're looking for utility because you don't have to shapeshift out of your battle form to cyclone or root something. You will however have to deal with mana issues.
    Cats can always be doing their white damage regardless of mana but have to deal with staying in range, avoiding cleaves, etc.

Coming from a hunter you might be more used to the ranged side of WoW. If you want a change of pace though, go cat.

Moonkin will be the least change from a hunter. Youll still be ranged dps, youll have to watch your mana. You will have limited use pets, but they will blow.

Whats new is you will have to watch the whole raid at all times, not just your cast bar. You notice a healer gets disabled for a minute, and the tank is getting low? Drop moonking form and heal the tank till the healers back. Did somebody important die? You can battle rez them. Your number one mage dps'er got mana burned? You'll have to innervate him. You are SUPPORTING the raid. You are utility. You are not leet dps.

Feral is all I said above, except you also have to run in and out of bosses aoe, you have to keep 5 point rips and mange debuff at all times, you have to work around the cat form range bug. You have to never let energy cap out. You will have to learn how to tank as well, because if you're feral, you ARE the offtank and if the MT dies in the middle of a fight, you can salvage it by stepping up. You used to have to time powershifts, but they nerfed that for the xpac, so its a little simpler.

Basically, you have to work really hard to be the number 5 dpser in your 10 man raid, but you'll by far be the most important member if something goes wrong.

Yeah I understand I won't be in the top dps anymore, but as you said the utility is the more important part, So that being said, boomkin is seeming the way to go since I wont have to shift out to do everything. But just between boomkin and feral, which would you guys say is the better of the two dps if they were equally geared?

Probaby boomkin will put out more dps. But they can't offtank the way a feral can, which is usually the main selling point a dps druid getting into a raid.

Of course, the boomkin dance is the greatest dance in the game, and all casters love, LOVE a boomkin in their group.

I also found boomkin more fun, but thats probably because over the last 5 years Ive been rogue, warrior, feral druid, hunter, and being a caster was sure a nice change.

Well right now our tank situation is MT = Warrior, OT = warrior, but one of the warriors might want to go Fury and dps so if he does do that then I will go feral, but I guess if he stays prot then I will go kaboomkin and help our warlock even more, (like he needs it)

What about you start to level it to 80 first and then come back. I am sure you wont pass lvl 20.
    Tu ne peux pas te debarasser de moi Boubou. Je serais de retour demain.

Great reply wildthorn2. Except for that fact he's in the process of being leveled and is currently 46, so either post something productive or stfu.

Either one which you rather choose Bomkin casting spells or Cat Feral melee .I have seen both classes push 1k dps.I say bomkin cause hunters and druids always oom. :P

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    Probaby boomkin will put out more dps. But they can't offtank the way a feral can, which is usually the main selling point a dps druid getting into a raid..
    casters love the feathers though
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

are you tauren or ne.

I cant stand the cat form range bug.. I think it affects tauren more? not sure.

Hence, I'm a moonkin when I want to dps.