Lore behind Blood Elf Paladins (Blood Knights)

I am a little confused about the current Blood Elf Paladin story line.

From what I understand, is that early on, the Blood Elfs had to steal Holy Magic from Narru in order to become Paladins.

But why did they need to do that in the first place?

Blood Elves are former High Elves right? So how come they cant use Holy Magic.

Only people that cant use Holy Magic, are Undead, Creature that dont believe in the light, and creatures that fight for a Evil cause.

But out of those options, the only thing that I can see fit, is the "Fighting for Evil Cause" part from WC3.

But wasn't all that Retconned?

So if they no longer fought for a evil cause, then why would they lose their Holy Powers? ??? ???
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Lore behind Blood Elf Paladins (Blood Knights)

From what I understand you can't just do evil say "oops sorry" and get your powers back. The Light.. it's kinda picky.

My take on it is that most likely since they had to consume fel energy (which turned em into the Blood Elves we know and love...hate...or love to hate) their connection with the light withered. So they fed on M'uru... Now that Kaelthas stole M'uru and moved him to the Sunwell Plateau, Liadrin took the time to rethink the direction the Blood Knights were taking and decided to lay aside on their fel energy consuming ways and follow the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Judging by your time played, I'm not sure you know what outside looks like, let alone school :P

After the destruction of Quel'Thalas, Most of the Bloodelves felt that the light had abandoned them in their time of need. So when Kael got hold of Mu'ru and sent it back as a gift, they extracted the light manually and used it for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pillowpants
    That still doesnt explain how they lost their powers, if all the evil stuff was retcon.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Quote Originally Posted by Acharai
    After the destruction of Quel'Thalas, Most of the Bloodelves felt that the light had abandoned them in their time of need. So when Kael got hold of Mu'ru and sent it back as a gift, they extracted the light manually and used it for themselves.
    i honestly dont see anything morally wrong with this...i'm still wielding such skills as Holy Light, Flash of Light, Divine Shield, and countless blessings...i'm a good guy damnit! i swear it! and i should be treated as such....give me gold...its for the homeless, i swear ;D
    Yeah, its a Hemmy.

Based on my understanding they can variate between fire/ice/arcane using magic. But then nature/holy/shadow is different.

nature most you all know is of course with nature and druidism. Shadow magic comes from the twisted nether and demons. And Holy comes from the naaru.

Now when they lost the sunwell they began to look for new methods for magic, and thats when they captured mu'ru and used his power.

Quote Originally Posted by tacultima
    Based on my understanding they can variate between fire/ice/arcane using magic. But then nature/holy/shadow is different.

nature most you all know is of course with nature and druidism. Shadow magic comes from the twisted nether and demons. And Holy comes from the naaru.

Now when they lost the sunwell they began to look for new methods for magic, and thats when they captured mu'ru and used his power.
    That is false.

Holy Magic doesnt only come from Narru. Narru wasnt even known till 4 or more years after the 3rd war. Holy Order been around since before the first war.

Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

you referring to the silver hand as holy order? But not to cause argument but they may have not have been known but that is where paladins of azeroth get their power, they just saw it as the light never knowing it to be an actual being.

source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Naaru

Where I'm shaky at is where priests get their holy power. I assume also from naaru and night elves i know from elune but I'm shaky on that.

Quote Originally Posted by tacultima
    you referring to the silver hand as holy order? But not to cause argument but they may have not have been known but that is where paladins of azeroth get their power, they just saw it as the light never knowing it to be an actual being.

source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Naaru

Where I'm shaky at is where priests get there holy power. I assume also from naaru and night elves i know from elune but I'm shaky on that.
    Paladins hit the scene during the second war.

Clerics and Priest been around way before then.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

That still all disputes aside answers your question on why steal naaru. They never really messed with holy magic and now with sunwell gone they looked to new ways. with Mu'ru gone now they don't really steal the light anymore though.

Did reading up on priest history, They get there holy magic from different deities they worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor
    That still doesnt explain how they lost their powers, if all the evil stuff was retcon.
    yes it does. "After the Third War, the majority of high elves became blood elves, and soon the race began to lose its light given powers. Thus they needed to find a new way to access the Light. They did this by sapping Light energy from the captive naaru M'uru held beneath the Blood Knight headquarters."

blood elves consume fel magic. using fel magic = no Light

http://www.wowwiki.com/Blood_elf http://www.wowwiki.com/Fel_Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Judging by your time played, I'm not sure you know what outside looks like, let alone school :P

Umm actually undeads can use holy magic. Have you heard of an Undead priest? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Corribara
    Umm actually undeads can use holy magic. Have you heard of an Undead priest? :P

http://www.wowwiki.com/Cult_of_Forgotten_Shadow

Game Mechanics:
    t should be noted, however, that the official Forsaken religion is Forgotten Shadow, largely based out of the church in Deathknell and the warrior quarter in Undercity. It is a religion that worships and uses the Shadow, and not the Holy Light. The members of the cult are evil and/or chaotic,HPG and are taught to eradicate anything having to do with the Holy Light — and life in general.
    Forsaken Priests

After awakening from the Lich King's control, The Forsaken chose to abandon many of the morals and beliefs they held during their natural lives. However, those who were priests during their lives have not abandoned religion or become agnostic. Because of their changes, the Forsaken have embraced a twisted version of their former religion, the antithesis of The Holy Light, known simply as Forgotten Shadow. Dark priests are like the religion's archbishops, ruling over wide territories
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

The Naaru are not the source of the Holy Light, rather they are beings that embody Light to its fullest. If It helps you think of it this way, the Naaru are the Angels of the Holy Light, not the Gods.

Either way, since its retcon in WC2, the Holy Light is more of a philosophical idea rather then a divine being. Paladins of the Light draw their powers moreso from the act of Faith then anything else; we can see this with the Blood Elves.

After all, in the WoW Lore there are plenty of Evil Paladins. Although Arthas was slipping into madness and began making a mockery of the ideals of the Silver Hand, he could still call on the Light until he picked up Frostmourne and threw his beliefs and his faith aside. Also, we can look at the Paladins of the Scarlet Crusade. Each of them is inheritly evil, but they have the faith that they are doing the Light's work, and although they commit evils, they commit it in the name of the Light, which seems to fuel their powers.

In contrast, the Blood Elves believed that the Light had completely abandoned them, and through that they turned their backs to the Light in the famous words of Timone, "When the world turns it back on you, you turn your back on the World." Since the former High Elves no longer believed in the Light, they couldn't call on it. However, it was probably a prior relationship with the Light that allowed them to manipulate and control the vast Light Energies of Mu'ru and in a sense all Blood Elves have this ability in the form of Arcane Torrent; essentially you control the magical flow of your target, severing their spellcasting for a short period of time. If a Blood Elf had the extensive training that the Blood Knights had on Mu'ru, I'm sure that a Blood Elf could learn to dominate anyone's Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Basutai
    Knight, that is not entirely true.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Trevor

refuses to wield the shadow even if the Holy Light abandoned him.
    He is a fosaken (Lower case)

AKA Honorable Undead like Death Knights toons are.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?