Thread: Warlock PvE DPS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Warlock PvE DPS

This initial part is for ascote.. read the talents before making a post. Everlasting affliction increases damage from siphone life, unstable affliction, and corruption 5 percent .. per tick. so the damage would be ascending up to a limit and if you keep them always refreshed they will stay at max damage.

the way to go IMO.. would be 55 0 16. i worked out an affliction rotation and its not even a pain seeing as you can take our corruption seeing as it will always be up and every minute you can put CoD up. i even fitted Lifetaps into it but with the LT changes dunno if it will be enough. I didnt factor in replenish effects or haste in the rotation so its bound to get better. This build inclues ISB Bane and ruin. ISB was nerfed but with shadow mastery you get another 10 percent damage on your base SB and with Deaths embrace once your target gets down to 35 percent you get another 12 percent damage bonus to your shadow spells.

I have a lock in PTR, didn't see any ascending damage. Also as of the latest build any dots I casted while ISB was up didn't benefit from it, only shadow bolt did (perhaps haunt, I was watching more for dot damage). BTW, my dots casted while ISB was up did benefit from it on the previous build.

@ cestrs: If you care to test it in ptr you'll see that ISB is now a buff on you instead of a debuff on target.

Quote Originally Posted by ascote
    I have a lock in PTR, didn't see any ascending damage. Also as of the latest build any dots I casted while ISB was up didn't benefit from it, only shadow bolt did (perhaps haunt, I was watching more for dot damage). BTW, my dots casted while ISB was up did benefit from it on the previous build.

@ cestrs: If you care to test it in ptr you'll see that ISB is now a buff on you instead of a debuff on target.
    Ascote, I just performed the same test on the ptr and saw the same results.

I have a screenshot showing the Shadow Mastery buff on my character with the tool-tip stating "Shadow damage dealt increased by 10% from non-periodic spells," but I am having difficulty getting it to upload. :-\

Gratz someone else tests instead of spouting tooltips.

ok.. say your UA corr and SL are applied to the target.. after they deal damage which would be 100 percent damage... then they get an extra 5 percent so the next time they would deal 105%. so it is going up .. or ascending in damage. Of course ISB isnt going to affect dots... it even says in the TOOLTIP non periodic OR damage over time sources. However.. shadow mastery in affliction give you a 1o% bonus to your shadow spells(yes this includes SB) and deaths embrace gives you another 12 percent when your target is below 35% health. I never said ISB affects dots because it clearly says it doesnt.. and if it did on the PTR put in a ticket because its a bug. All dots are damage over time and therefore periodic damage.

Actually, I believe the way it works is that the total damage of the spell is calculated and then divided by the number of ticks in the spell: 6 for corruption, 5 for UA, and 10 for SL. Each time the spell ticks, an additional 5% of your spell power (then further modified by any percentage increases) is added to the tick. So since UA ticks 5 times over the life of the spell, it ends up getting an additional 25% of your spell damage on every cast. Corruption would get 30% over the life of the standard spell, and SL would get an additional 50% total.

From a pure dps-increase stand point, your total dps is increasing by 5% of your spell power (then further modified by other buffs/debuffs/talents), divided by 3 seconds for the time between ticks, but multiplied by 3 again because three spells are doing the same effect.

Unfortunately, I don't have any screenshots or videos to back this up, so I understand that it could be difficult to just take my word for it. But the figures I've seen when testing on the PTR support this theory. By all means, go try it out yourself. Maybe I made a mistake with the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrionn
    Ascote, I just performed the same test on the ptr and saw the same results.

I have a screenshot showing the Shadow Mastery buff on my character with the tool-tip stating "Shadow damage dealt increased by 10% from non-periodic spells," but I am having difficulty getting it to upload. :-\
    im sorry for the misinformation, i tried it again today and it really is a buff, and it seems like it doesnt affect DOTs at all, no matter when you cast them.

im sorry again, no idea what i saw there. my mistake.

Well, all of the dots I applied did constant damage over time so...

Well, all of the dots I applied did constant damage over time so...
    same here.

ok i have to say sorry:

actually impSB affects only SB and haunt

so theres no need to spec impSB anymore

Is Malediction really worth taking? I know it depends on the buffs your raid wants out, but from other posts Ive read, the 2% increase in damage will be offset by other class skills. Without malediction, I was thinking of using this as a build with all talents in affliction done first then add destro talents up to 80. You could swap points between improved CoA and Frailty depending on what raid utility you want to offer. Any suggestions?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...00000000000000

Quote Originally Posted by argwaen
    Is Malediction really worth taking? I know it depends on the buffs your raid wants out, but from other posts Ive read, the 2% increase in damage will be offset by other class skills. Without malediction, I was thinking of using this as a build with all talents in affliction done first then add destro talents up to 80. You could swap points between improved CoA and Frailty depending on what raid utility you want to offer. Any suggestions?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...00000000000000
    Balance druids will apply a debuff on the target: 13% more spelldmg from all schools

BUT 3/3 Malediction coe = 13% more spelldmg from all schools + 88 less resi

coe > druid debuff

and Malediction also gives you 3% spelldmg so its worth taking

Ahh, then Id take the points out of Frailty on my previous build, put them in malediction and take 1 point from Death's embrace to max out malediction. Its most likely what I am going to start with. Once I build up haste gear I may switch to destro later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassive
    BUT 3/3 Malediction coe = 13% more spelldmg from all schools + 88 less resi
    From wowwiki.com:
    "Otherwise, very few mobs and raid-level bosses have a substantial amount of resistance to overcome. "

Any word on whether they're changing that? If they're not, then the -88 resistance on CoE is situational at best. If they are planning on giving more bosses resistances, then yes, CoE is better than the druid debuff.

Not having substantial resist and not having any isn't the same thing. 30 resist to your school of damage is enough to piss you on boss fights.

Not having substantial resist and not having any isn't the same thing. 30 resist to your school of damage is enough to piss you on boss fights.
    i dont think 30 resist is gonna hurt your dps.. especially at level 80

id rather throw a spell pen item on than use up my curse slot with elements
    let the DKs and Druids debuff for once, im tired of it

Quote Originally Posted by MortuariusBC
    let the DKs and Druids debuff for once, im tired of it
    kick all warlocks and get 6 mages in the raid

curses are all that warlocks buff to the raid and mages do better dmg now :P

Hmm, affliction locks are pwning mages in beta right now ^^.

Yep, affliction is the strongest spec in beta at the moment, hope not in wotlk because i hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanlol
    Yep, affliction is the strongest spec in beta at the moment, hope not in wotlk because i hate it.
    theoretically its the best...

on trash or bosses where you have to switch targets mage is much better

on single target long fights affli beats mage if well played...

I think mage is much easier to play than affliction