Thread: Mining

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mining

Hi, I plan to level a DK and I will take mining/bs....

So I actually used a reroll to gather all ore that I need to be lvl 350 in BS for the moment, and I wanted to know if I can lvl to 350 the mining with just smelting ore?

Re: Mining

Quote Originally Posted by psy4x
    Hi, I plan to level a DK and I will take mining/bs....

So I actually used a reroll to gather all ore that I need to be lvl 350 in BS for the moment, and I wanted to know if I can lvl to 350 the mining with just smelting ore?
    No, you can't.

There will come a time where the only thing that will level you is mining truesilver or dark iron ore. Its around level 230 to 250 when you can start doing small thorium. That was the hardest part for me to level. I think mirthl turns gray some where around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew5309
    There will come a time where the only thing that will level you is mining truesilver or dark iron ore. Its around level 230 to 250 when you can start doing small thorium. That was the hardest part for me to level. I think mirthl turns gray some where around that time.
    There are actually more gaps than that, pretty much at the end of every bracket (ie, you can't level all the way to 65 by smelting copper - and you need 65 to start on tin) ... but yeah - agreed that the 230-250 stretch is the worst ... although you can still mine mithril then (smelting mithril goes grey at 230), which will get you to 250, after which you can kick off at mega speed with Thorium. Smelting Thorium goes grey at 290 again, so you'll have to find 10 thorium (rich or small) veins to get you to 300.

Smelting Fel iron will only take you to 310, which is hardly worth much, but you CAN actually get to 375 by simply mining Fel Iron.

However, be greatfull that you actually get skill points from smelting after around 75 or 100. When I first levelled mining, you could only level after around 100 by mining, no smelting shortcuts back in the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriroken
    but you CAN actually get to 375 by simply mining Fel Iron.
    This is true. I levelled to 375 mining just after I hit level 50 by running circuits behind the dark portal in hellfire peninsula (before the patch that removed that sweet field of fel iron deposits).

Once you hit WotLK, it goes pretty quick. Northrend seems to have a plethora of vein spawn points, though most are more widely scattered than in the old days. I did most of my mining during questing through Dragonblight and Grizzly Hills. Once I hit Shalozar Basin it went zoom and was done since that place is so chalk full of Saronite it's not funny.

I've read someplace that it is supposed to be -easier- to level mining in WoTLK. Supposedly, you are able to get more skill ups via smelting for some of those "harder", in-between areas from 1-375 (such as the last few skill ups using Rich Thorium Veins -- WTF is up with that anyway?!)

I've not heard too much about from 375-450, but I hope that they "got it right".

The main problem I see is everyone competing for them. World PvP anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Moriroken
    Smelting Fel iron will only take you to 310, which is hardly worth much, but you CAN actually get to 375 by simply mining Fel Iron.
    You can actually get to 375 Mining just by running around mining Thorium too. It's not as useful as Fel Iron, but it sells on the AH for tons. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero
    You can actually get to 375 Mining just by running around mining Thorium too. It's not as useful as Fel Iron, but it sells on the AH for tons. ;D
    O.O ... you learn something new every day ... I did NOT know that

I just leveled mining to 300 on 3 alts that I dual boxed through SM a while back and just hit 60 with meaning they started at around 100 skill. Then I leveled their engineering or JC to 300 too. Fun times, but really there's not much else to do atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Geboran
    ...., in-between areas from 1-375 (such as the last few skill ups using Rich Thorium Veins -- WTF is up with that anyway?!)
    Keep in mind that Rich Thorium was the Pinnacle of Mining for a long time ... so you had a good deal of time to get to 300 .. hence the difficulty. I found (at 70) running around the lower section of Winterspring (where the elite demons and giants are) very helpful from 2 perseptives 1) You have the area entirely to yourself, and 2) the spawns are pretty constant, you just need to find a nice loop, and you'll get your skillups in no time

rofl - I wasn't there, but I heard that fel iron nodes were the most precious item in the game when TBC dropped ... stacks of 5 were going for upward of 150g ... and selling too

I've read someplace that it is supposed to be -easier- to level mining in WoTLK. Supposedly, you are able to get more skill ups via smelting for some of those "harder", in-between areas from 1-375 (such as the last few skill ups using Rich Thorium Veins -- WTF is up with that anyway?!)

I've not heard too much about from 375-450, but I hope that they "got it right".

I personally can't wait, as a casual player, to hit like level 73 or so and have all the "I haven't slept for 5 days and my toon is now 77+" crazy guys with there new flying ability swooping down and looting the nodes I am trying to fight my way to so I can skill.

Quote Originally Posted by boccy99

I personally can't wait, as a casual player, to hit like level 73 or so and have all the "I haven't slept for 5 days and my toon is now 77+" crazy guys with there new flying ability swooping down and looting the nodes I am trying to fight my way to so I can skill.
    Makes me glad I booked 2 weeks annual leave from work starting release date so I can be one of those 77+ flying jerks ;D

They smoothed out the mining leveling process in 2.3, or 2.4, and you can level mining purely from smelting, but it takes a lot of ore and luck with RNG on the green recipes. Silver and gold ore bought off the ah are your best friends.

See here for the guide I used on my rogue alt. (you'll have to scroll halfway down past the leveling by mining part, to the leveling by smelting part)

http://wow.thenoobschool.com/power-l...ng-guide-1-375

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    They smoothed out the mining leveling process in 2.3, or 2.4, and you can level mining purely from smelting, but it takes a lot of ore and luck with RNG on the green recipes. Silver and gold ore bought off the ah are your best friends.

See here for the guide I used on my rogue alt. (you'll have to scroll halfway down past the leveling by mining part, to the leveling by smelting part)

http://wow.thenoobschool.com/power-l...ng-guide-1-375
    Yup, it does indeed appear you can do it ... but only if you have a TON of cash that you're willing to blow. Imo, it's easier to just go and find nodes that try and push through the last few points where smelting is green for that ore.

You still have to mine thorium from 290-300 though, unless you plan on smelting Dark iron, which you need to make a trip into BRD to do. THere's also no way of getting from 315-325 without mining fel iron (or, as someone else said ... Thorium... although I can't confirm this), and you have to mine adamantite from 325-335.

This is all mentioned in that guide, and a damn good guide it is ... thanks for linking it ... my intense gratitude /clap /bow /salute

Remember this is for powerleveling mining on a DK. He really only has to smelt up to 275 and he can go the rest of the way just mining whatever he finds as he quests in the plaguelands and then outlands.

He needs to hit 300 Mining atleast, Due to changes of the Quest chain for DKs after the battle of Light's hope (Back in the day, you blacked out and appeared at LHC) you're guaranteed to hit 58 without stepping into Plaguelands.

As far as mining goes, I see veins everywhere... And I have to level two Engineers to 450..

Ugh.

It's a good thing I'm levelling my Pally tank first, it's ironic that he's my Miner/Chanter and now Mining becomes the tank profession <3

Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    Remember this is for powerleveling mining on a DK. He really only has to smelt up to 275 and he can go the rest of the way just mining whatever he finds as he quests in the plaguelands and then outlands.
    You're right, sorry. I'm speaking purely from my own perspective where I'm trying to level mining on my level 70 now, kinda lost track of the real reason for the thread ...

BUt yeah, as the poster above me mentioned, he'll need to powerlevel to 290 at the very least, after which he'll still have to run around EPL / WS to get the last few levels. But as for the gaps between fel iron and adamantite, they're a non issue.

I am currently lvling mining and have run into a gap where I can't find any adamantite... Anyone have any suggestions on where it is found the most?

Having powerlevelled a handful of miners in the passed week or so, I can tell you that farming for adamantite sucks. Other than that, I preferred Nagrand over any other zone. The cave systems there generally have a healthy amount of adamantite. Otherwise do a search on wowhead.com for "Adamantite Deposit" and take a look at the spawn locations for each region. Figure out which region you wanna hit up and make a farming flight path with that information and go to town with it.